• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New York Yankees

FRITOLAYGUY

What he lacks in the batting right now he more than makes up for in his fielding. He is a better fielder than Damon ever thought about being...

THis is true, but for the last few yrs, him and Lugo i feel were a bit overrated, or should i say not living up to their standards. They are kinda like Renteria, did good before they got here. NOt so good during, and Edgar is having a good year this year and they probably will too once they leave.

Mike P.

Back to .500 ball & it's Igawa, Wong & Mussina over the weekend. Friday Bonds may get to 756 if the new & improved Igawa can find the plate!

Meanwhile it's Dice K, Wake & Beckett for Boston!

FRITOLAYGUY

Back to .500 ball & it's Igawa, Wong & Mussina over the weekend. Friday Bonds may get to 756 if the new & improved Igawa can find the plate!

Meanwhile it's Dice K, Wake & Beckett for Boston!

Unfortunately SD is alot better than SF, i cant see anyway the Yanks dont get 2/3 this weekend.

tree_skier

Monday update - Yanks slip to third in east and sixth in wild card after losing 2 of 3 to giants

East W L PCT GB E# L10 STRK
Boston 48 26 .649 - - 7-3 W1
Toronto 37 37 .500 11.0 78 7-3 W3
New York 36 37 .493 11.5 78 4-6 L2

Team W L PCT GB E# L10 STRK
Cleveland 43 31 .581 - - 5-5 L1
Seattle 39 33 .542 3.0 87 4-6 W2
Oakland 39 35 .527 4.0 85 4-6 L3
Minnesota 38 35 .521 4.5 85 6-4 W2 6
Toronto 37 37 .500 6.0 83 7-3 W3
New York 36 37 .493 6.5 83 4-6 L2

JimG.

Staff member
That was some poorly played baseball by the Yankees. They look old and finished.

Exactly what they didn't need; winning streak followed by bad road trip. They had better win every game in July.

My prediction this week is that a high ranking Yankee employee gets the ax.

Paul

You know the Yanks are in trouble when you don't hear a peep from this guy:

IMG_2109_jpg.jpg

tjf67

Oh man.

I conceed to the sox. I dont think we can catch them. We better start winning series or I am going to have a heart attack.

Same problem as may. These highly comped players better start earning there keep. I has nothing to do with our pitching. You can blame April on pitching. The rest of the year is on the 120million dollar batting order.

JimG.

Staff member
Cashman's only had complete control for a couple of seasons. While he's made some mistakes, the current team isn't totally his fault.

But I think he will get the blame...it won't be Torre because that will destroy any chance of the team going anywhere this season.

The media is already on Cashman's case, blaming him for the poor bench players and the demise of the farm system. And he fits the high profile bill too.

JimG.

Staff member
I dont think anyone is getting the boot, however if anyone does it will be Giambi.

Now that would be a logical move...actually fire players for the bad performance.

But that will never happen...MLBPA will fight it to the death.

ComeBackMudPuddles

Now that would be a logical move...actually fire players for the bad performance.

But that will never happen...MLBPA will fight it to the death.

I don't think it would ever get to the union. It just can't and won't happen. Baseball players have guaranteed contracts. So, the Yanks could fire Giambi, but they'd still have to pay him. There's no out based solely on poor performance.

I don't really have a problem with guaranteed contracts. But, if you're going to have that kind of system and if I were an owner, I would strenuously object to opt-out clauses (e.g., JDL Drew and A-Rod), because owners are forced to carry the risk of a player getting injured or not performing during the life of a contract (Giambi), but, if the player still is performing at a great level (A-Rod) or if some club strangely thinks it should pay a player a lot more money (JDL Drew), the owner has no protection and does not get the benefit of the bargain.

Maybe players bargain away a couple million bucks for the right to opt out, I don't know. But, at these salary levels, it doesn't seem like players leave much on the table for such right. I think it's more a question of owners throwing in a perk without really thinking about it (although, given the Dodgers' reaction to JDL, I bet this might be changing).

Aaaaaaah. I feel better now. Rant over.