• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New York Yankees

JimG.

Staff member
actually, it would go to percentage points, which still puts the Yankees in 4th place

even though Toronto is only 1 win ahead of the Yankees in terms of record, I don't see why anyone is even discussing this while NYY has a losing record. Get up over .500 and this might be a worthwhile discussion. Otherwise, it comes off as Yankee fans desperately trying to convince themselves there still is hope.

:)

We're discussing it because lately the division leader has been tripping over their own feet. Schilling saved them from yet another loss yesterday...1-0 ain't exactly an offensive explosion.

And because this has happened in the past, many times. Frankly, I think it's the Boston fans who are desperately trying to convince themselves that it isn't happening again.

BTW, Yanks won't ever have to get over .500 if Boston continues to play as recently; you guys will back the division title up right into our backyard.

I'll tell you, baseball would be a total bore if it wasn't for the Yanks/Sox rivalry...undoubtedly the best in sports.

SkiDog

I'll tell you, baseball would be a total bore if it wasn't for the Yanks/Sox rivalry...undoubtedly the best in sports.

Like no other rivalry in existence. Makes the season something I look forward to...I just cant understand why the yanks can't produce...why they keep buying BATS when what they need is PITCHERS and preferably ones that ARENT over 40.....not that there is anything wrong with that... ;-)

M

JimG.

Staff member
Like no other rivalry in existence. Makes the season something I look forward to...I just cant understand why the yanks can't produce...why they keep buying BATS when what they need is PITCHERS and preferably ones that ARENT over 40.....not that there is anything wrong with that... ;-)

M

Take a look at most of the contenders...most of them have to buy pitchers and most of them have an old starter or two. Pitching has changed alot in the past 30 years. 6-7 innings is all that's asked now.

Baseball is a game of numbers, and as such it's a long season. I really do try to stay unmoved by whatever happens until August the earliest.

FRITOLAYGUY

Well like i said last week the yanks would be in 2nd soon and be charging.. The sox had to come down to earth sooner or later, playing 700% baseball is imopossible, would have been nice to see them sweep AZ but ill take winning a series, yanks gained some ground sweeping, i think thats 9 out of 11 for them now, they have too much talent to keep playing that bad. Like the sox though the yankees wont keep winning 9 out of 11 either, i think by July 1st it will be about 7-8 games, if the yanks could get that to 5 or less by the allstar break that would be a pretty remarkable feat.

tree_skier

Before you grant the yankees a playoff spot let alone the division lets let them at least get a few games over .500. If the season continues as it started they will finish with 76 wins and the Sox will have 104. to get to 90 wins which might not even make the playoffs they need to play .606 and to get to 97 which should get in but hasn't allways they need to play .654 the rest of the way, niether one is imposible but for a team that has been sub 500 for the first third of the season it isn't the rosiest outlook.

SkiDog

Before you grant the yankees a playoff spot let alone the division lets let them at least get a few games over .500. If the season continues as it started they will finish with 76 wins and the Sox will have 104. to get to 90 wins which might not even make the playoffs they need to play .606 and to get to 97 which should get in but hasn't allways they need to play .654 the rest of the way, niether one is imposible but for a team that has been sub 500 for the first third of the season it isn't the rosiest outlook.

Not if everyone else comes BACK towards them with shoddy play....Dont worry...its STILL a long season left...talk to me in August...we'll see whos where then...

M

tjf67

All we have to do is keep winning series.
Boston has a good team but they usually take care of themselves.

GO YANKS

FRITOLAYGUY

Well said....

M

Your funny dog, i look at it like this, if the redsox play 500 ball the rest of the way they will have 90 wins, thats going 50wins 50loses. i think we can all agree they will play better than 500 baseball so bare with me and give them 95 wins thats fair right? 55-45? Lets give the yanks a win tonite so the numbers are even, with that if they played 500 baseball after tonite they will have 81 wins. if they play 600 baseball 91 wins. So basically the way i look at it is, 95 i feel is a safe number to make the playoffs, some teams like cleveland or the Tigers will have low 90's, but 95 should get you in, so the yankees need to go 64-36, the rest of the way.. 640 winning percentage. Thats a tall order but with all that talent i cant say its out of the question. 640 is easy to do for say 50 games but for 100 games?? If u win 100 games which is the benchmark for a real real great season thats a 6.17 winning percentage. We shall see what happens.

FRITOLAYGUY

Thats true Jim, but i like numbers and odds, fascinates me for whatever reason. While the Yanks have steadied the ship what the hell is going on with the Mets, and lets see if the yanks take at least 2 out of 3 from them i believe thats 5 straight series they will lose, its almost like the yanks game them their bad Karma and took the mets good vibes.

JimG.

Staff member
Thats true Jim, but i like numbers and odds, fascinates me for whatever reason. While the Yanks have steadied the ship what the hell is going on with the Mets, and lets see if the yanks take at least 2 out of 3 from them i believe thats 5 straight series they will lose, its almost like the yanks game them their bad Karma and took the mets good vibes.

Just a bad stretch IMO...the Mets have had a few injuries and some of their bench players were forced into starting roles. Those guys are great on a fill in basis, but once pitchers see them for 3 weeks straight their numbers go downhill. The Mets will be OK.

FRITOLAYGUY

I did manage to go to the Mets game last thursday, the tix were free and i wanted to check out the place before they tore it down.. Boy its not that bad there except for the Jets flying over. Its much harder to watch a game at Fenway in my opinion with the angles, views, vendors and everyone else in your face.

JimG.

Staff member
I did manage to go to the Mets game last thursday, the tix were free and i wanted to check out the place before they tore it down.. Boy its not that bad there except for the Jets flying over. Its much harder to watch a game at Fenway in my opinion with the angles, views, vendors and everyone else in your face.

When the Jets are flying over every 5 minutes it's not any fun.

It's not a hitters park either...MLB wants the offensive numbers to stay interesting and management knows offense brings in ticket sales.

Few perks there either and no corporate sky boxes or premium seating for the high rollers; that leaves alot on the table in terms of profit.

FRITOLAYGUY

The jets were more like every 90seconds.. I did like the fact i spent the day in NYC and just hopped on the 7 train and walked about 300feet and was in my seat, that part was pretty cool. Saw 3 fights in the stands between Mets fans themselves who all got thrown out, cmon now keep the peace your pulling for the same team, this was the game that Philly swept them.

JimG.

Staff member
Saw 3 fights in the stands between Mets fans themselves who all got thrown out, cmon now keep the peace your pulling for the same team, this was the game that Philly swept them.

Oh no, you must be mistaken! Those types of things never happen at friendly Shea stadium. Mets fans fighting! No, no, no. Mets fans are very polite and never curse or throw things or abuse visiting fans.

You must have been at Yankee Stadium because those things only happen there because of all the rude and mean Yankee fans.

Ask any Mets fan.

FRITOLAYGUY

The fights didnt bother me, the fact it was between fans rooting for the same team is what shocked me.. How about Verlander last night, 1st pitch he throws in the 9th inning on his way to a no hitter is 102mph lol that guy is just sick

JimG.

Staff member
The fights didnt bother me, the fact it was between fans rooting for the same team is what shocked me.. How about Verlander last night, 1st pitch he throws in the 9th inning on his way to a no hitter is 102mph lol that guy is just sick

FLG, you're obviously not a Mets fan. The whooshing noise you heard overheard wasn't a jet flying over.

I'm guessing a Mets fan will read my post eventually and chime in.

JimG.

Staff member
actually, it would go to percentage points, which still puts the Yankees in 4th place

even though Toronto is only 1 win ahead of the Yankees in terms of record, I don't see why anyone is even discussing this while NYY has a losing record. Get up over .500 and this might be a worthwhile discussion. Otherwise, it comes off as Yankee fans desperately trying to convince themselves there still is hope.

:)

Checklist time:

Yankees out of 4th place and past Baltimore-check.
Yankees out of 3rd place and past Toronto-check.
Yankees at .500-check.
Yankees past .500-check.
Yankees won again last night, that's 8 straight-check.
Pitching staff coming alive, Mussina pitched a gem last night-check.
Yankee bats, like Abreau, coming alive-check.

Boston? Lost again last night to Colorado 12-2.

Hearing the footsteps yet? If not I suggest a few Q-tips to clean out your ears.

That 14 1/2 game lead from 2 weeks ago is down to 8 1/2.

Go out on a limb? Why not! I'll go on record as saying that if the Boston lead is down to 5 games at the All-Star break they will be lucky to get into the playoffs as a wildcard and that the Yanks will win the division easily.

Last edited:

FRITOLAYGUY

Hey i never said they were not going to make a run, if Boston wins tonite they win 2 series in a row, thats all i care about, the yanks are hot, they are not gonna keep winning 8 ina row 10/12, thats how the sox were when they started the season now they are playing normal baseball and the yankees will again soon themselves thats just baseball. Its not like the yankees are never going to lose a game in the standings again, just not when your winning 8 in a row, but i give them credit they got it done quickly i thought it would take a little longer.