• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New York Yankees

FRITOLAYGUY

Ok i want to hear from some Yankee fans about how they are feeling about this team? I watched the Mets beat them again. I know Clemens is coming but he can only help you once every five days. Im a huge redsox fan and they are doing well obviously but then will have a streak when they go 4-6, thats just baseball.. I remember they were 40-17 in 2002 and didnt even make the playoffs so im not gonna sit here and run my mouth or make predictions about the AL east, ive seen it backfire too often.. But seriously the Yanks just dont look good, i know they have had slow starts , 11-19 2yrs ago and still won 98 games and the division but i just dont see that this year.. Watching another pitcher they had on the mound today go down with a broken finger, even im starting to feel bad for them. So your thoughts on the team and where they are headed? And maybe the Mets are better than them this year but why do they think they own the city all of a sudden??After they win 10 straight divisions and 4world series get back to me , til then shut up your 2nd best for owning the town its just the way it is.

dmc

LETS GO METS!!!!

Yanks look like they are avoiding sweep right now...

Fact is... The Mets are playing a the top of their game now and the Yanks not so much..
We think we own the town because we think our team is winning..

It's not even summer yet.. Pleanty of time...

Zand

Gammons reported that Steinbrenner may be making his decision on whether to keep Torre or nor by Thursday after the series with the Red Sox.

FRITOLAYGUY

Another Red Sox Fan here but if the Yankees are under .500 come the time of the all star break I believe Torre will be gone ..

Normally id agree if it was anybody else but after 11 straight divisions and 4 world series, i dont care if the yankees missed the playoffs entirely this year, the guy deserves to go out on his own terms, hes earned it.

JimG.

Staff member
Yankees stink right now...but it's May.

How many times do Yankees fans have to listen to the champions of April/May beating their chests?

Talk to me in September. Especially you Bosox fans.

Unless Torre gets fired...then it's all over now.

BTW, Yanks made a big comeback Sat, and they kicked Mets' ass last night. A blowout.

jack97

IMO, Torres job and perhaps Cashman is dependent on how Clemens and Mussina will perform once they get into the rotation. The starting pitching sucks, they don't have a stud that will prevent long losing streaks or that will give the bullpen a rest.

JimG.

Staff member
IMO, Torres job and perhaps Cashman is dependent on how Clemens and Mussina will perform once they get into the rotation. The starting pitching sucks, they don't have a stud that will prevent long losing streaks or that will give the bullpen a rest.

I'd tell Steinbrenner the same thing I said here...it's May, take a chill pill and calm down.

I'd rather they play poorly now than in August/September when it counts.

Grassi21

In The Boss' defense, he is much mellower than years past.

ComeBackMudPuddles

It's the curse of the new Stadium.

For every cubic foot of concrete poured in the new foundation, another Yankee starting pitcher will be injured in increasingly bizarre fashions. Next injury: Moose's right index finger will be pecked off by an angry Bronx pigeon.

For every 10 cubic feet poured, the Red Sox will gain a game on the Yanks in the standings... and one faithful RSN member will spontaneously combust out of excitement.

For every 100 cubic feet poured, a speck of real blood will be found among the red paint on Curt Schilling's (in)famous sock.

(Yes, I'm a Yankees fan. A bewildered fan. But, I'm not complaining. It's been a good run and I'm still hopeful.)

FRITOLAYGUY

How many times do Yankees fans have to listen to the champions of April/May beating their chests?

Talk to me in September. Especially you Bosox fans.

Unless Torre gets fired...then it's all over now.

BTW, Yanks made a big comeback Sat, and they kicked Mets' ass last night. A blowout.

I understand what your sayin Jim but they just dont seem right this year, if they are 10 out next week after going to boston u wont see them again for months. I feel they need 2/3 minimum for their ego the next few days from Boston. Its almost June, will be interesting to see where they are say July 1st. If its still more than 5games i think the yanks are in trouble for the division. I know they swept 5games last year but i cant see any 5 game losing streaks at all this year for the redsox.

ComeBackMudPuddles

Bats are definitely there, pitching...

Fine. Agreed. WAY too many questions. But, IMHO, the Red Sox have plenty to worry about in the pitching department for the second half (enough to make a difference? probably not as far as the AL East crown goes.)....

* "Big Mouth" Curt - past his prime + 2nd half swoon last year could easily be repeated

* Dice Clay - will log a ton of innings against tougher competition - 2nd half worries?

* Blisters Beckett - did I say "Blisters"?

* Wakefield - will regress to his career mean (not to mention that the Yankees seem to have him figured out)

* Papelbon - 2nd half swoon in '06 - likely to happen again? he's only a 2nd-year player, so, not 100% proven....

* Okajima - sorry, but, no way he keeps this up

Anyway, just my (jealous) two cents. Enjoy the ride, Sox fans, must be fun.

Rushski

Just curious, who is actually healthy and pitching for the Yanks?

Clemens - What is he 56? Quite the franchise savior.
Pettitte - Way past his one or two decent "prime" years.
Rasner - Who?
Wang - Who?
Rivera - Once great, now? 16 games, 3 losses, 3 saves...
Mussina - Not in Baltimore anymore. 2-2, 5.64 ERA
Igawa - One stellar game, otherwise?

I'll take the Sox's hot-for-now pitching Vs. the Yanks' aging, ailing, untested piching any day. Maybe the yanks could afford to trade a big bat or two for some respectable pitching...

kickstand

Fine. Agreed. WAY too many questions. But, IMHO, the Red Sox have plenty to worry about in the pitching department for the second half (enough to make a difference? probably not as far as the AL East crown goes.)....

* "Big Mouth" Curt - past his prime + 2nd half swoon last year could easily be repeated

* Dice Clay - will log a ton of innings against tougher competition - 2nd half worries?

* Blisters Beckett - did I say "Blisters"?

* Wakefield - will regress to his career mean (not to mention that the Yankees seem to have him figured out)

* Papelbon - 2nd half swoon in '06 - likely to happen again? he's only a 2nd-year player, so, not 100% proven....

* Okajima - sorry, but, no way he keeps this up

Anyway, just my (jealous) two cents. Enjoy the ride, Sox fans, must be fun.

this has to be a joke........................

FRITOLAYGUY

Hey i cant expect to beat the yankees everytime, i would have been ok with just 1 out of 3 against them in these 3 games, just not 3 in a row, i dont want any streaks developing. I can live with getting out of there with a 9.5 game lead but id be worried if it was 7.5. I watch alot of Yankee games, that was one of the better games they have played so far this year, the sox had their chances just couldlnt get any hits with people on base.

Paul

Hey i cant expect to beat the yankees everytime, i would have been ok with just 1 out of 3 against them in these 3 games, just not 3 in a row, i dont want any streaks developing. I can live with getting out of there with a 9.5 game lead but id be worried if it was 7.5. I watch alot of Yankee games, that was one of the better games they have played so far this year, the sox had their chances just couldlnt get any hits with people on base.

Last night just shows that it doesn't matter how "Big" your "Unit" is, its how effective your "Wang" can be.

JimG.

Staff member
I understand what your sayin Jim but they just dont seem right this year, if they are 10 out next week after going to boston u wont see them again for months. I feel they need 2/3 minimum for their ego the next few days from Boston. Its almost June, will be interesting to see where they are say July 1st. If its still more than 5games i think the yanks are in trouble for the division. I know they swept 5games last year but i cant see any 5 game losing streaks at all this year for the redsox.

August 1978...Yanks begin the month 14 1/2 games behind the Sox in the division and were essentially left for dead.

Who won the World Series that year?

Again, talk to me in August/September. And I'm not saying that because they've won 2 in a row.