• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

So How Good of a Driver Are You....Really?

bvibert

Staff member
Now if folks would just head the rule of the road "keep right EXCEPT to pass", this would be a non issue!

I thinking back to my situation, it was on the Wilbur Cross Pkwy (2 lanes), climbing up a hill, where the car infront of me, even though the right lane was open for a few hundred yards behind and INFRONT of it, was "married" to the left lane. I just happned to be the very frustrated driver immediately behind that person at the head of a longer line of cars behind me, and went for it. Unknown to me because of the darkness at the time, the CT State trooper was the 4th car in line. I guess that based on that, if I had been on a 3 lane portion of I-95/I-84, etc instead of the Wilbur Cross, that I would have been okay.

Agreed on the keep right except to pass part. Too many people can't be bothered to follow that one. It sucks that you got nabbed for that one, did your speed have anything to do with the ticket? Most cops I've seen on the road would have been the first car to be passing the slower driver on the right...

drjeff

Agreed on the keep right except to pass part. Too many people can't be bothered to follow that one. It sucks that you got nabbed for that one, did your speed have anything to do with the ticket? Most cops I've seen on the road would have been the first car to be passing the slower driver on the right...

The cop said I was doing 70 in a 55, but when I asked to see the radar log (since I was about 99% certain based on my speedometer reading that I didn't get above 65), the trooper told me (paraphrasing here) that he couldn't get a radar lock on me since he was behind 3 other cars and that the 70 was an estimate. Ticket came back with the traffic violation for passing on the right, no speeding violation was given I sent in whatever the fine was. and over and done deal.

Little trick about speeding fines that my uncle(an atttorney) told me soon after I got my license. If your pulled over for speeding, it's your right to see the speed that the radar gun clocked you at. If the trooper is unable to produce the speed for you, then if you choose to goto court and fight the ticket, all you need to tell the judge is that you asked to see the speed on the radar gun and it wasn't made available to you. Ticket dismissed.

snoseek

I scored a 70 but that test does not take into account how people actually drive. I have 0 accidents and no traffic violations in 19 years driving, knock on wood. I don't consider myself a great driver but always avoid tailgating, passing on the right, doing 60 in the left lane on interstate ect....

bvibert

Staff member
The cop said I was doing 70 in a 55, but when I asked to see the radar log (since I was about 99% certain based on my speedometer reading that I didn't get above 65), the trooper told me (paraphrasing here) that he couldn't get a radar lock on me since he was behind 3 other cars and that the 70 was an estimate. Ticket came back with the traffic violation for passing on the right, no speeding violation was given I sent in whatever the fine was. and over and done deal.

Little trick about speeding fines that my uncle(an atttorney) told me soon after I got my license. If your pulled over for speeding, it's your right to see the speed that the radar gun clocked you at. If the trooper is unable to produce the speed for you, then if you choose to goto court and fight the ticket, all you need to tell the judge is that you asked to see the speed on the radar gun and it wasn't made available to you. Ticket dismissed.

So, it sounds to me, that he wanted to get you for speeding, but since he had no proof he got you for whatever else he could. I'd imagine that it was probably a smaller fine than speeding anyway...