• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

22-0

ChileMass

First chance I've had to log on today and rub it in the faces of all the Yankee fans out there. Hated to see those Yanks get pasted by the Tribe last night. Sox win tonight with wimpy Aaron Sele pitching for the Angels and it'll be 2 1/2 out then with a month to play....... 8)

Charlie Schuessler

Could the 22-0 whipping be a wake up call for the Yankees? Or is the verification of The Great Slide? :eek:

I posed those questions to a friend who resides in NJ and all he had to say was "Talk to me in October." :x

I plan on it... 8)

Joshua B

Today I told my company's outspoken Yankee fan to talk to me when they've strung more than one win together.

SilentCal

That game may just serve as a wake-up call. The upcoming series between the Sox and Yankees in a few weeks will be an absolute media frenzy. Don't forget the Pats open Thursday!

pedxing

All those Cleveland runs didn't stop trhe Yankees from taking 2 out of 3 games in the series.

But hey, them Red Sox are staying hot (despite stranding an awesome number of base runners tonight).

MtnMagic

I meant the 7-0 loss they suffered in their loss to Baltimore yesterday. That's an added bonus to the 22-0.

See you at Mooseland grill!

pedxing

I'm hoping that now that the Yawkey's and their designates are gone, that the Red Sox can start a new era. I think bad management and ownership (and at times racist ownership/management) has been the Sox curse. Harry Frazee who sold Ruth was owner from 1917 - 1923. The Yawkey's (including the trust) owned the team for most of the drought (1933-2002, to be exact). That leaves just the 10 years Robert Quinn owned the team (1923-1933) unaccounted for. Under Tom Yawkey, they were the last team to hire a black player - passing on Frankie Robinson (after being pressured into giving him a try out) and many others they had a shot at. It took them 12 years after Robinson's tryout to hire a black player and even afterwards, they always seemed eager to unload their black talent (Cecil Cooper, Bob Watson and Reggie Smith were examples, but Mo Vaughn, Luis Tiant, Ellis Burks, George Scott, Jim Rice and others had a hard time) although I remember the patience they showed with the Oil Can. I also remember they night the ball rolled through Rick Burleson's legs. I was already pissed that they were playing him while Bob Watson - healthy and able sat in the dug out.

I'm not saying they didn't foolishly let go of some white talent (we all have our lists, Sparky Lyle was one who bugged me no end).

You can't build the best team by caring what color your starters are. The Celtics have gotten heat for playing teams that are whiter than other teams, but I think they (or at least Red and his disciples) looked for a certain style of ball player. The same attitude that led them to hire the first black man in the NBA, and the first black coach in the NBA (Bill Russell on both occaisions) led them to build one of the whitest teams in the NBA during the Larry Bird era.

I was saying all this to someone who told me there is a book about it, "Shut Out: A Story of Race and Baseball in Boston" - and I might read it someday, but as a kid who loved the Sox in the days of Radatz and who found true sport's fan ecstacy with the Impossible Dream of 1967, and enduring the agony of three game seven world Series losses - it might be too painful a read.