• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

If money were no object . . .

AdironRider

I just got the board I wanted if money were no object, at a price my money is the only object budget can afford. A never summer titan 164.

snowmonster

If we consider transportation to and from the mountain part of ski gear, then I want a Jeep. Maybe a Grand Cherokee if money's no object but I'd settle for a Patriot if we're being realistic. If we stick to gear you actually use on the mountain, then I'd like a pair of race skis like the Rossignol 9S or the R11 Mutix.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Have you skied the Mantra's before? What binding i.e. resort or BC ski?

No, and for touring. I decided a while ago, after participating in two demo days, that I really have a hard time noticing what's on my feet, unless some characteristic of the ski is at an extreme (P50's stiff, Head mega carve thingy sidecut, etc). So I gave up and now just ski whatever dimensions give me a mental boost.

I would buy skill...

...for Marc.

I'd buy some granola and deodorant for the dirty Russian hippie.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
No, and for touring. I decided a while ago, after participating in two demo days, that I really have a hard time noticing what's on my feet, unless some characteristic of the ski is at an extreme (P50's stiff, Head mega carve thingy sidecut, etc). So I gave up and now just ski whatever dimensions give me a mental boost.
Jeez, if you think the P50s are stiff..... heh! Mantra has that same stiff beefy Volkl feel. Nhski does well on it and raves about it and uses it as a touring ski. My experience was a little different. Definitely more of a front side/side country ski than a great touring ski due to weight. Great in powder but not its forte. Good jack of all trade ski, thus good for front side and side country. Not trying to sway you but I was surprised to read you were set on that ski for touring. But what works for one person may not work for another. I almost bought a pair last season but was glad I demoed first. I may notice subtleties in skis more and have more concern about performance characteristics though.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Jeez, if you think the P50s are stiff..... heh! Mantra has that same stiff beefy Volkl feel. Nhski does well on it and raves about it and uses it as a touring ski. My experience was a little different. Definitely more of a front side/side country ski than a great touring ski due to weight. Great in powder but not its forte. Good jack of all trade ski, thus good for front side and side country. Not trying to sway you but I was surprised to read you were set on that ski for touring. But what works for one person may not work for another. I almost bought a pair last season but was glad I demoed first. I may notice subtleties in skis more and have more concern about performance characteristics though.

Yeah, I'm kinda blunt that way. The only place I'd really notice something would be a lot of weight if I had to slog it around for long hours on end.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Also, while compared to some skis I suppose my Volkl's aren't extraordinarily stiff, however remember mine are the F1 Energy, I believe you had the P50 Motion? I think the F1 Energy was more or less the stiffest ski in their line that year...