• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Homebrew Beer Thread

SkiDog

Submerge the coil in ice/rock salt and run the wort throught the coil. Faster, cleaner, cooler.

Gret suggestion and I have used this method...not much faster than using it the regular way, but still cool and save you from having to sanitize it...

I just dip it in my sanitizer bath for a few minutes.

I would REFRAIN from the ice method directly in the wort....could introduce too many nasties.

Just my $.02

M

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Gret suggestion and I have used this method...not much faster than using it the regular way, but still cool and save you from having to sanitize it...

I just dip it in my sanitizer bath for a few minutes.

I would REFRAIN from the ice method directly in the wort....could introduce too many nasties.

Just my $.02

M

Ever use the soda bottle?

SkiDog

Ever use the soda bottle?

I have not personally but have heard it used. Since the bottle is pre sanitized and the ice inside never hits the batch it should be no problem. I would seriously consider the wort chiller though...really saves time, and in the long run pays for itself...the faster to cool = faster to pitching = less chance of nasties.

I personally dont even like to add water to bring to volume of 5 gal. I perfer to boil a full 5 gal. The outdoor cooker helps with this process since it boils water VERY fast.

M

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I have not personally but have heard it used. Since the bottle is pre sanitized and the ice inside never hits the batch it should be no problem. I would seriously consider the wort chiller though...really saves time, and in the long run pays for itself...the faster to cool = faster to pitching = less chance of nasties.

I personally dont even like to add water to bring to volume of 5 gal. I perfer to boil a full 5 gal. The outdoor cooker helps with this process since it boils water VERY fast.

M

I don't have the means to do a full boil, however I do preboil the non wort water I put in the fermenter.

The only reason I ask about the soda bottle is I might brew another batch tonight and I won't have time to make a chiller. Soda bottle combined with the ice water bath is probably the way I'll go.

SkiDog

I don't have the means to do a full boil, however I do preboil the non wort water I put in the fermenter.

The only reason I ask about the soda bottle is I might brew another batch tonight and I won't have time to make a chiller. Soda bottle combined with the ice water bath is probably the way I'll go.

It will certainly suit you for tonight.....not to worry. Just make sure EVERYTHING is sterilized. Smart on preboil on the addition water...good man...

So what you boil about 3 gallons? you using steeping grains while it comes to boil ?

M

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
It will certainly suit you for tonight.....not to worry. Just make sure EVERYTHING is sterilized. Smart on preboil on the addition water...good man...

So what you boil about 3 gallons? you using steeping grains while it comes to boil ?

M

I used steeping grains for a batch I made a while ago with a friend. This wheat beer I just brewed didn't use grains.

I have a 16 qt stainless pot that I boiled 3 gallons in... which was pretty close to the top after adding two roughly 24 oz cans of malt into.

I was pretty fanatical about sterilization during boiling and bottling with this last batch and it turned out great. So I'm a bit more confident for my second batch.

SkiDog

I used steeping grains for a batch I made a while ago with a friend. This wheat beer I just brewed didn't use grains.

I have a 16 qt stainless pot that I boiled 3 gallons in... which was pretty close to the top after adding two roughly 24 oz cans of malt into.

I was pretty fanatical about sterilization during boiling and bottling with this last batch and it turned out great. So I'm a bit more confident for my second batch.

As you obviously know...sterilization is the KEY to good batches....what are you currently using for sanitization one step? I personally use Iodine. It doesnt require warm water...only requires literally seconds of contact to sterilize. They use it in hospitals and restaurants. Great stuff also requires very little rinsing. You should give it a try.

Think about a larger pot if you can put your hands on one. I think I have about 4 ;-) . Yeah the wheat likley was plenty colored just from malt.

I think i'll do a lager again soon, but I have to get the fridge up and running with the external temp gauge. This helps regulate temps overrides fridge thermostat. Very nice since lagers need to be fremented WAY cold....

Any questions dont hesitate to ask. Good luck with the latest batch...

M

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
As you obviously know...sterilization is the KEY to good batches....what are you currently using for sanitization one step? I personally use Iodine. It doesnt require warm water...only requires literally seconds of contact to sterilize. They use it in hospitals and restaurants. Great stuff also requires very little rinsing. You should give it a try.

Think about a larger pot if you can put your hands on one. I think I have about 4 ;-) . Yeah the wheat likley was plenty colored just from malt.

I think i'll do a lager again soon, but I have to get the fridge up and running with the external temp gauge. This helps regulate temps overrides fridge thermostat. Very nice since lagers need to be fremented WAY cold....

Any questions dont hesitate to ask. Good luck with the latest batch...

M

Yeah, I use the idophor stuff. Bleach is a PITA and I have a feeling I'd end up with white spots or holes in my shirt.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Brewed again last night... a 1.040 OG. Ale style. Should be pretty good.

Hallertau and Tettnang hops. Light barley steeping grain. Looking forward to bottling and tasting this one.

ctenidae

My wife (saint that she is) bought me a Cooper's kit for my B-day. I know using a canned kit is cheating, but the fermenter's nice, and it came with 30 re-useable plastic bottles. Anyway, I cranked it up Friday (1040 Lager) and will be bottling tonight. Quick and easy, adn the can of concentrate is only about $15 or so. We'll see how this batch turns out.

www.coopers.com.au

ctenidae

Bump

http://www.ldcarlson.com/public catalog/Brewers Best Recipes/1047 Dortmunder.pdf

Brewed this up last week, bottling tomorrow, ought to be ready for Christmas cheer!
OG was 1.052, as of last night it was 1.012, so figure about 8% ABV, which will be nice.

Funny thing is, I was really worried that the yeast never got cranked up- I never saw a single bubble come out of the airlock. I pitched about 11 pm on 11/27, then didn't lok at it again until about 6 pm the next day. Full head of foam in the fermenter, but no bubbling. So, I let it sit, and half forgot about it. When I did check it, there was some bubbling int he wort itself, but nothing out the airlock. I let it sit, thinking the yeast might just be running really really slow for some reason. Finally, last night was shit-or-get-off-the-pot day, so I checked it just to see. Imagine my surprise. Hopefully it hasn't been sitting on the yeast too long, but I'm not too concerned about it.

roark

Funny thing is, I was really worried that the yeast never got cranked up- I never saw a single bubble come out of the airlock. I pitched about 11 pm on 11/27, then didn't lok at it again until about 6 pm the next day. Full head of foam in the fermenter, but no bubbling. So, I let it sit, and half forgot about it. When I did check it, there was some bubbling int he wort itself, but nothing out the airlock. I let it sit, thinking the yeast might just be running really really slow for some reason. Finally, last night was shit-or-get-off-the-pot day, so I checked it just to see. Imagine my surprise. Hopefully it hasn't been sitting on the yeast too long, but I'm not too concerned about it.

Airlock not sealed? If there's co2 coming out it's got to go somewhere...

That's not that long to be sitting on the yeast. Although I do usually transfer to a secondary once the primary fermentation has mostly subsided
(where I tend to forget about it for another week or two).

ctenidae

Airlock not sealed? If there's co2 coming out it's got to go somewhere...

That's not that long to be sitting on the yeast. Although I do usually transfer to a secondary once the primary fermentation has mostly subsided
(where I tend to forget about it for another week or two).

I think it did it's big bubbling overnight and during the next day. Maybe the yeast was on steroids.

Ont eh timing, I'm actually more concerned about making sure it has enough time in teh bottle before Christmas to be tasty. Yum!

ctenidae

Looked at my notes last night- OG was 1060, so that gets me closer to 6.8-7%.
Mmmm, high alcohol beers...