• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Homebrew Beer Thread

BeanoNYC

That's cool, looks like a good simple one... although bear in mind, it isn't a true pilsner, since pilsner is technically a lager and this is an ale.

See these are the types of things I hope to learn about down the road. So how do they get away with calling it a pilsner? Don't Lagers have to age cold?

The problem with plastic is that it will get scratched, which provides a nice place for nasty bacteria to hang out.

The most useful part of the secondary IMHO is you tend to get less sediment in the final product. Or maybe I just suck at racking. And if something comes up and you don't get around to bottling for a couple extra weeks, no big deal.

But for the first few batches anyway, plastic single stage fermenting is cool.

Ok, well my next door neighbor and I are brewing together. He has access to a shit load of carboys because he makes wine. Should we look to using carboys 10 batches down the road?

I hear ya on the bacteria thing. A friend of mine brews and the only advice he'll give me is "sanitize, sanitize, sanitize."

ctenidae

See these are the types of things I hope to learn about down the road. So how do they get away with calling it a pilsner? Don't Lagers have to age cold?

Ok, well my next door neighbor and I are brewing together. He has access to a shit load of carboys because he makes wine. Should we look to using carboys 10 batches down the road?

I hear ya on the bacteria thing. A friend of mine brews and the only advice he'll give me is "sanitize, sanitize, sanitize."

If you have the carboys already, and a place to keep them, then go ahead and use them. They're just not something you'd wnat to jump into, especially if you don't know how much you'll brew or if you'll stick with it. They're just a hassle to clean, though a good bottle brush and a strong sprayer can handle it. If you have a a spray nozzle in your shower, that works (just don't break one). With the carboys, you also have to siphon everything, since they don't have bottling taps, and that can be a bit messy, especially until (and even once) you get your technique down.

On the "Sanitize^3"- absolutely rule #1. Most important thing of all. Best equipment, best recipe, best ingredients, matters for naught if you allow contamination.

BeanoNYC

What's the scoop with tasting? Is it unhealthy to taste the batch during any part of the process from beginning to end?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
What's the scoop with tasting? Is it unhealthy to taste the batch during any part of the process from beginning to end?

Not unhealthy, just not advised. Eating part of a half baked loaf of bread will not tell you much about how the finished bread will taste. Same goes for beer.

roark

Chewing on grains can be educational, maybe a sip of wort after taking the starting gravity (after all, you're not going to dump that ~4 oz of wort in the fermenter... are you?). Beyond that, not going to learn much.

I'd say chew on a hop pellet, but I'd want to be there to see the reaction.

BeanoNYC

Ok...brewed my first batch yesterday. All seemed to go fine, sans two concerns.

1) Fermenting temp. Fermenter is in the basement, but it's been quite hot. How do I
a) Gauge the temp of the fermenter
b) Keep it cool if necessary.

2) Hop Pellets: Mine dissolved in my wort. Is that normal?

I found a good forum for homebrewing and put the same questions up there as well.

roark

Ok...brewed my first batch yesterday. All seemed to go fine, sans two concerns.

1) Fermenting temp. Fermenter is in the basement, but it's been quite hot. How do I
a) Gauge the temp of the fermenter
b) Keep it cool if necessary.

2) Hop Pellets: Mine dissolved in my wort. Is that normal?

I found a good forum for homebrewing and put the same questions up there as well.

1) you could keep a thermometer near the fermenter (understanding that the fermenter is prob a few degrees warmer. Or buy a stick on one. The hardcore get probe type thermometers.

To keep cool I've used a water bath (large plastic water saucer for a plant) and old t shirt. Place the fermenter in the water bath and put the t shirt on the fermenter. T shirt wicks up the water, keeping it cooler. I now have an old fridge and external thermostat, but have yet to use them. Maybe the engineer type can chime in with all the details of this process.

2. Normal.

BeanoNYC

Well, it's been a week since bottling. I opened up a bottle yesterday to check it's progress. Seems to be doing the right things as far as carbonation; a few more weeks will bring the batch up to speed. I'm assuming that during this time the batch will condition a bit better as well. As of now though, I'm quite happy. It's hoppy, it's tasty...it's Beer!!!

Thanks for all the help.

On a side note. I got a hold of a 6 gallon carboy. I'm going to brew my next batch in a few days and use that as the fermenter. I'm planning on running a length of hose from a drilled stopper into some water as a blowoff. Is this overkill for a 5 gallon batch? Should a bubbler do fine without a krausen blowoff?

ctenidae

I'd think a 6 gallon carboy will handle the foam from a 5 gallon batch okay. Might want to be prepared, though, jsut in case.

Do yourself a favor and mark 5 gallons on the fermenter in some permanent fashion.

BeanoNYC

I'd think a 6 gallon carboy will handle the foam from a 5 gallon batch okay. Might want to be prepared, though, jsut in case.

Do yourself a favor and mark 5 gallons on the fermenter in some permanent fashion.

Wow...good idea. I'll just dremel a line at the 5 gallon mark. I actually have two 6 gallon carboys now. (found an old one with pennies...some oxyclean and starsan will take care of that) I'm going to start an Applevein this week...should be fermented, carbonated and conditioned for Christmas. (6-8 in the fermentor)

Greg

Staff member
I made two batches in my life, but I had a dream I was brewing up a batch last night. Ironic this thread got bumped this morning. Maybe it's a sign. Might have to go pick up a kit...

BeanoNYC

I made two batches in my life, but I had a dream I was brewing up a batch last night. Ironic this thread got bumped this morning. Maybe it's a sign. Might have to go pick up a kit...

I'm so glad I got into it. I have this applewein and a nut brown ale ready to brew for the weekend.

It would be fun to follow your progress, Greg. I actually saw some equipment for sale in CT on Craigslist recently.

Grassi21

I'm so glad I got into it. I have this applewein and a nut brown ale ready to brew for the weekend.

who do you think you are homer simpson following the hullabalooza tour with a skin full of strawberry wine? :lol: ;-)

Greg

Staff member

It would be fun to follow your progress, Greg. I actually saw some equipment for sale in CT on Craigslist recently.

I wish I held on to my kit from many years ago. If I recall correctly, the initial investment is small though.

UnaBonger

I just picked that up over the weekend :) Got a ESB fermenting as I type :smile: