• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Homebrew Beer Thread

BeanoNYC

Austin and Northern are the ones I check out often in this new venture of mine. I'm fortunate to have a few wine and beer supply stores around too.

Getting back to this apfelwein...anybody ever make it? Was thinking about using a sweet mead or champagne yeast.

Brettski

Website
weblogs.sqlteam.com
I haven't made it yet, but I think it's next on my list... The recipe I'm looking at uses a wine yeast.

Well, don't do that for a first batch.

Make an Extra bitter English Ale with a lot of hops in the boil and at the end of the boil (turn off the boil and toss some hops in)

Use 8-10LBS of Malt to start

Almost fool proof

And use a liquid English Ale yeast

In any case, I'm not thrilled with $20 for 5#'s of Malt extract

What's the cheapest out there?

I'll go back to all grain, but It's been awhile...used to get 50#'s for U$30...but that was direct from the (now defunct) Manhatten Brewing Company...

UnaBonger

Well, don't do that for a first batch.

Make an Extra bitter English Ale with a lot of hops in the boil and at the end of the boil (turn off the boil and toss some hops in)

Use 8-10LBS of Malt to start

Almost fool proof

And use a liquid English Ale yeast

In any case, I'm not thrilled with $20 for 5#'s of Malt extract

What's the cheapest out there?

I'll go back to all grain, but It's been awhile...used to get 50#'s for U$30...but that was direct from the (now defunct) Manhatten Brewing Company...

Nooo, I've got a few batches under my belt already and in fact have a ESB currently in the primary :) I'm thinking the apfelwein will be my next batch :)

Thanks for the recipe tho :-D

Last edited:

BeanoNYC

Nooo, I've got a few batches under my belt already and in fact have a ESB currently in the primary :) I'm thinking the apfelwein will be my next batch :)

Thanks for the recipe tho :-D

I'm going to oxyclean this new carboy of mine overnight and will make the Apfelwine tomorrow. Going to tweak the original recipe a just a little bit from the original. I'll let you know how it goes and post my recipe once I figure it out.

Basic Recipe

5 gallons of apple juice or cider (no preservatives)
2 pounds of corn sugar
Montrachet yeast

My take on it (this is for Christmas)

May substitute a pound of sugar with a pound of brown sugar
may add some apple juice or other fruit juice concentrate
maybe some vanilla
maybe some cinnamon
I have a different wine yeast that will allow for a sweeter finish

6-8 in the carboy
prime normally for bottling
may leave a gallon or two unprimed for grog...

on deck for the next few weeks:

Nut Brown Ale Extract Kit
Cactus Milk Stout Recipe I found

Bottled:

Pilsner Kit: 2 weeks conditioning before I serve it to others

I really like this new hobby of mine

UnaBonger

Beano - I'm wondering if we're both looking at the same Apfelwein thing over on HBT? I like the idea of the brown sugar and/or the cinnamon (sticks would be the way to go I think, not ground)...

I only have one fermenting bucket and either need to free mine up or get a second... I'm voting for the later, just gotta go to the store :)

It is a great hobby, isnt it?

roark

May substitute a pound of sugar with a pound of brown sugar
may add some apple juice or other fruit juice concentrate
maybe some vanilla
maybe some cinnamon
I have a different wine yeast that will allow for a sweeter finish

6-8 in the carboy
prime normally for bottling
may leave a gallon or two unprimed for grog...

I really like this new hobby of mine
I've never been a fan of corn sugar, I'd avoid. Brown sugar sounds like a worthy substitution. Honey works well, but is pricey (I made a great cyser about 10 yrs ago, mmmmm). Spices sound good. I've used vanilla beans in the past (an xmas vanilla-cadamom ale that was pretty tasty). Another option is to reserve a small amount and add extract at bottling. Sweeter yeast is prob better too.

Have fun.

BeanoNYC

Beano - I'm wondering if we're both looking at the same Apfelwein thing over on HBT? I like the idea of the brown sugar and/or the cinnamon (sticks would be the way to go I think, not ground)...

I only have one fermenting bucket and either need to free mine up or get a second... I'm voting for the later, just gotta go to the store :)

It is a great hobby, isnt it?

You are correct, Sir. EdWort's Apfelwein. I'm learning a lot over there. My name is BoxofRain over there. That's my handle everywhere else but here. (Wish I could change it on here, actually)

I've never been a fan of corn sugar, I'd avoid. Brown sugar sounds like a worthy substitution. Honey works well, but is pricey (I made a great cyser about 10 yrs ago, mmmmm). Spices sound good. I've used vanilla beans in the past (an xmas vanilla-cadamom ale that was pretty tasty). Another option is to reserve a small amount and add extract at bottling. Sweeter yeast is prob better too.

Have fun.

I was thinking about adding a vanilla bean along with the cinnamon stick. How much would you guys suggest? I went to the brew shop looking for a mead yeast...they didn't have any. Spoke with the guy there and he suggested the one he gave me which can be used for sweeter wines. I can always taste and take gravity readings after a month or so. When I hit the desired sweetness, I can go ahead and kill the yeast. No carbonation that way though. I think the corn sugar is to drive the abv up. I like the idea of using some brown sugar...the molasses will give it a nice taste. Will try splitting the difference this time between the corn sugar and brown sugar.

Last edited:

BeanoNYC

Put together the apfelwine recipe today.

5 gallons Motts apple juice
1 pound dextrose
1 pound dark brown sugar
1 Cinnamon stick
1/2 vanilla bean
Cote Des Blancs yeast

OG 1.062

Fermenting away as we speak. Bubble a second, no krausen like beer.

2888722534_f07ce77f9a.jpg

UnaBonger

I got mine together Wednesday. Just followed th basic recipe but used a champagne yeast instead of the wine yeast. After sitting in the carboy for nearly a day and a half, I'm not seeing much fermentation but am wondering if its just because of the different yeast type... I'm trying real hard to just forget about it and let it go for 4 weeks.

Edit - Went down and checked it this morning and all is well in Apfelwein land :) Fermentation is going like crazy... Whew... :D

Last edited:

BeanoNYC

I got mine together Wednesday. Just followed th basic recipe but used a champagne yeast instead of the wine yeast. After sitting in the carboy for nearly a day and a half, I'm not seeing much fermentation but am wondering if its just because of the different yeast type... I'm trying real hard to just forget about it and let it go for 4 weeks.

Edit - Went down and checked it this morning and all is well in Apfelwein land :) Fermentation is going like crazy... Whew... :D

From what I understand there is not much Krausen with this fermentation. As long as the bubbler is popping, you should be ok. It's cranking now. Got a slight sulfer smell, but that's expected for a few days according to HBT.

Edit: didn't see your fermenting finally. Took a day for mine to crank. Good vibes!

Last edited:

BeanoNYC

Una...would you like to work out a swap of a 22 ounce bottle or two? I'd love to taste the unadulterated recipe. Maybe we can work together to make an official AZ cider recipe. ;)

UnaBonger

Una...would you like to work out a swap of a 22 ounce bottle or two? I'd love to taste the unadulterated recipe. Maybe we can work together to make an official AZ cider recipe. ;)

Of course I'd be happy to work out a swap :) After reading your recipe, I was wondering how it would come out and thinking my next batch would be something like you did. This way, I wont have to wait so long :D

Still have to wait a month or so, plenty of time to work out the details.

BeanoNYC

Of course I'd be happy to work out a swap :) After reading your recipe, I was wondering how it would come out and thinking my next batch would be something like you did. This way, I wont have to wait so long :D

Still have to wait a month or so, plenty of time to work out the details.

True! I plan on carbonating my bottle. I can prime and send off to you provided you promise to wait 3 weeks before opening. I would offer to drop it off on my way to VT, but skiing in December will be difficult as I have a little one due on December 2nd.

UnaBonger

True! I plan on carbonating my bottle. I can prime and send off to you provided you promise to wait 3 weeks before opening. I would offer to drop it off on my way to VT, but skiing in December will be difficult as I have a little one due on December 2nd.

There's a chance I will be in the city sometime in November. if so, we can work out the details and maybe grab a beer somewhere for the swap or do it through shipping. Either way works for me...

Being my first attempt at this no promises on the quality, but it certainly sounds fool proof aka Una proof :p

Edit - I was going to carbonate as well...

roark

Nice, I hope to get some cider together this year as well. Whenever I'm not so darn busy.