• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Environmental president

C

ChillyOne

Greeting group. I'm a newbie and this is my first post. I've been reading the other political posts on this board and thought I'd add my own observations.

I was looking at some jackets on Patagonia's site and found they had a vote site (www.patagonia.com/vote). They had some pretty interesting figures, like 80% of Americans wanting stronger environmental protection while 30% of the Sierra Club (I was definitely the 70%) didn't vote in 2000. I know everyone has their own party affliation but I know this year my vote's going to whoever wants to do more for nature before there's nothing left.

What do you all think?

noreaster

ChillyOne, I think there are more important issues than the environment. People are out of work, no health care, high drug costs, and the Iraq war is sucking the money out of future social security. People in the middle east dislike Americans even more now then they did 2 years ago. We have very little to show for 200 billion and 1000 lives spent on the Iraq war. These are the important issues to me during this election. Although I do my part reducing energy usage, the environment must take a back seat to more important issues in this election. IMHO

Charlie Schuessler

noreaster said:
I think there are more important issues than the environment. People are out of work, no health care, high drug costs, and the Iraq war is sucking the money out of future social security. People in the Middle East dislike Americans even more now then they did 2 years ago. We have very little to show for 200 billion and 1000 lives spent on the Iraq war. These are the important issues to me during this election. Although I do my part reducing energy usage, the environment must take a back seat to more important issues in this election. IMHO

With all due respect, to me the environment IS as IMPORTANT as the rest of the items you listed. We can not afford to allow the environment to take a back sit, it must be dealt with everyday! The USA must set the positive example for other Nations to follow! And for the last few years I am not convinced that we are doing the best we can.

Just my take…

thetrailboss

Staff member
In an era of globalization, there are no more "independent" issues--they are all interconnected. With that said, environmental protection and improvement is a key issue for me. I personally think that more people need to be made aware of the infamous "5pm Friday Afternoon" revisions that have been made to environmental laws by the Bush administration. Not surprising, they pulled the same move on another issue--social security (I think) this past week.

I am for sustainable development and common sense conservation that will protect the environment as well as jobs while saving money. It can be done we just need strong leadership and direction :wink:

This reminds me of the 2001 or 2002 Bush recommendation for fighting forest fires: "Cut down all of the trees!" :dunce:

M

mryan

what we are forgetting is that all of those other issues only exist because we have an environment in which we live and survive. without that, there are no other issues.

Charlie Schuessler

mryan said:
what we are forgetting is that all of those other issues only exist because we have an environment in which we live and survive. without that, there are no other issues.

No argument from me, I agree 100%.

C

ChillyOne

Well said. If we didn't have an enviornment...what would we have?

See you all on election day.