• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Owl's Head Hike Oct. 9,///Bonds Overnite Hike Oct. 16-17

N

NH_Mtn_Hiker

Rescheduled from 9/18/04

Everyone is welcome to join me and 5 others bagging Owl's Head Saturday, October 9th, rain day October 10th.. We're meeting at the Lincoln-Woods Trail head on the Kancamagus Hwy. at 7:00am.

The hike is roughly 15 miles and includes a bushwhack that bypasses the more difficult water crossings. The last mile up Owl's Head Path is very difficult, the rest of the hike is easy. Elevation gain is about 2900'. Hike should take about 9-10 hours for experienced mountain hikers in good shape.

Please RSVP by posting or PM. Be prepared for early winter conditions.
Rain date is Oct. 10.

S

skimom

This is one hike that I really want to do !! I've been studying the maps over and over looking at all the different ways to go in and out.

I'd love to do it with others but unfortunately I've got commitments on Saturday. :(

Have a great hike and let us know how it goes!!

MtnMagic

So sorry that I can not join you but certainly wish I could. See you in two weeks.

N

NH_Mtn_Hiker

Hike was canceled due to rain and has been rescheduled. See first post.

MtnMagic

Looks possible. Perhaps Sky can join me on this new date.

Early winter condtions are here! We had light freezing fog early this morning. At 6am it was 28 degrees on the rockpile.

I'll be in touch!

S

skimom

10/9 sounds good for me !

I was wondering if you braved it out on Saturday. That would have been quite scarey I think :eek:

A group trip to owl's head sounds great !!

N

NH_Mtn_Hiker

We decided to bag a couple of boring, viewless peaks instead. Hale and Zealand. We did finally get some clear weather and views when we came back by Zeacliff.

MtnMagic

Looks like Sky can go, Skimom can go, ghostdog and I can go join the usual crew!

I hear that the summit sign has changed into a horizontal style and want to see it.

N

NH_Mtn_Hiker

Looks like there will be 9 or 10 of us mammals going to Owl's Head. :D

MtnMagic

Sky, Ghostdog and I are hiking the Bonds as an overnighter the week after. The caretaker will be gone then so there is no camping/shelter fee. Why not ask the crew if they want to make it a big weekend!

MtnMagic

So it is the Bonds on 10.16/17. We have room for 20! Who else wants to go?!

Sunset, on the Bonds. Sunrise on the Bonds.

Not just a common hike -- a superb adventure!!
:D

S

skimom

Oct 16 and 17 is good for me !! Wow, how exciting ! My first overnight in the wilderness ....

So question #1 .... will I need a tent ? hahaha just kidding !!

Looks like I'm going shopping :D

Suggestions anyone ???

MtnMagic

Suggestions GoLite, Wenzel, Kelty Crestone 1. At least a 20 degree sleeping bag, or rating below. Try to get each under 4 lbs.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Borrow, rent, or share, if you can! Then get ideas while you're there as to what tents other folks have, how they work, etc.

Things to think about:
single vs. double wall
freestanding vs. must-be-staked-out
weight and size
vestibule size and usefulness
do you want a ground cloth or not

For example, I love and recommend my 1-person Sierra Designs Lite Year, but using it on a platform is tricky because the two ends must be staked out for the tent to stay up. I've done it, it just requires creative use of tent cord.
:)

N

NH_Mtn_Hiker

I talked Creek Critter into going to the Bonds again, currently working on Dave and Julie. :D

MtnMagic

Great to hear. So Sky & Diane will be joining us. Spoke to Julie today and asked her if she could get a pad, tent, and bag. We did the Kinsmans from the West, and me with a full backpack to ready for the Wildcats to Moriah, the Mahoosucs, then the Bonds!

We'll get a good group by then!

N

NH_Mtn_Hiker

It looks like Owl's Head will be Creek Critter's 48th. Big party after the descent at Owl's Head Path Junction. (Big party = 2 bottles of wine) :D

MtnMagic

Another one finishing the 48, super! I wonder how many hikers will complete them this year. It sure seems like more this year than in previous years.

Cheese and crackers go well, too. Can we have more blackberry merlot, please?

S

skimom

This is going to be a really fun Saturday !! Can't wait to get out and meet everyone and see some old friends that I haven't been able to connect with lately. :beer:

Anything new on the Bonds trip on the 16th/17th ??

I just completed my very first backpacking trip !! Spent four days in BSP ...WOW !! It was GREAT !!! The park is incredibly beautiful. We braved two days of snow.... yes, SNOW !! and being the newbie backpacker, I was able to provide my seasoned companions with constant entertainment :wink: