• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Suggestions

sosayweall

Hello all. My friends and I are interested in planning a backpacking/camping trip somewhere in New England, but we're not really sure where the best spot would be. We'd like to get a real wilderness feel during the trip...not many people, animals, lakes, trails, etc. I've been thinking Moosehead, but it's a little far for us to drive (6 hours or so). any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
I'm not sure where you're coming from, but if you're looking for somewhere in MA (it seems you don't want to go up north?), I would recommend the Catamount area.

Formally, I don't think camping is allowed...but you could check with Mohawk State Forest (they manage the undeveloped state forests in that region, including Catamount).

I've camped up there a twice (back when I was in high school, Clinton era). For Massachusetts standards, its a remote place - there are no blazed trails or buildings for miles. With a topo map and some navigational skills, one should be able to figure out where to go via the old roads (Catamount was essentially a town about 100 years ago, so there are old roads and cellarholes).

Some highlights include McLeod Pond (if you see anyone up there, this is most likely where), the cave near McLeod Pond, and Pocumtuck Mountain (a few miles from the pond, excellent views off the ledge near the summit).

http://www.franklinsites.com/catamount/ is a site I put together about Catamount. There are some trip reports/maps on my hiking site and also in the archives of the trip reports here on AZ.

Catamount State Forest is located in the NW corner of Massachusetts, about 5-10 miles from Vermont, in the towns of Colrain/Heath/Charlemont.

Mike P.

If wilderness & remote are your key, off the AT & away from the tallest mountains would work. (Try northern Mass - I want to say Savoy State Forest but don't know if that is right - around MA's third highest peak.)

VT along the Long trail north of where it splits from the AT possibly avoiding the highest peaks or go well beyond them above Smuggler's Notch.

Flagstaff Lake is very pretty & not to remote, Cathedral Pines offers great car camping in a setting you can't compare CT camping or Burlingame (- RI) camping with, it's hard to think you drove there. Head further North for real remoteness

Now there are no close areas that are remote & wild, everyone would go there!

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Catamount is a lot more remote than Savoy...Savoy actually has a campground/marked trails/maps etc. Pocumtuck, though only 1,872 feet if I recall off hand, has a nice big mountain feel off its summit ledge.

montvm

Ny ?

If so i suggest the Northville Placid trail.

Trail runs the low lands appx 133 miles. Very secluded, tons of lakes, rivers streams for swimming and fishing. Tons of wildlife.

I have not hiked the trail personally, but my uncle who has through hiked the AT and tons of hiking experince claims that it is one of his favorite destinations.