• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Aurora Borealis Tonight (9/14)?

Greg

Staff member
Last night, the local TV weather guy mentioned something about a lot of activity on the sun yesterday and the chance for some Northern Lights tonight. Has anyone else heard this? The only article I could find is from the Denver Post. The Aurora Borealis last October was awesome.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The set that we had around this time in 2002 were intense as well. Saw them at my alma mater in VT. Pretty sweet. :eek:

I recall seeing some in 1997 from my home up in the NEK which were intense as well. Really cool! 8)

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
All is revealed at Space Weather.

AURORA WATCH: A coronal mass ejection (CME) swept past Earth at 2000 UT (1:00 pm PDT) on Sept 13th, almost a day earlier than expected. The cloud's impact did not spark a strong geomagnetic storm. Nevertheless, high latitude sky watchers--e.g., in Alaska and Canada--should remain alert for intermittent auroras.

Also, note that the article about the Brocken Spectre comes from a photograph of one from our very own Mt. Washington Observatory.

skican

Husband called me last night to say he could see them in Maine. He was so excited! I had forgotten all about it until he mentioned it.