• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Breakneck Ridge 07/01/2007

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Date(s) Hiked:7/01/2007

Trails(s) Hiked: Breakneck Ridge Trail (White), Breakneck Bypass Trail (Red), Wilkinson Trail (Yellow)

Total Distance:approx. 8 miles RT

Difficulty:Strenuous, rock scrambling for the first mile. Gentle hills afterwards.

Conditions:Good dry conditions, great weather.

Trip Report:This is quickly shaping up as the year that we try new trails. Up until this year we basically stuck to two trails we normally hikes. This year started with a hike up to Tuckerman Ravine. Two weeks ago we hiked MinnewaskaState Park near New Paltz, NY. Last week it was Mohonk Preserve also in New Paltz. Yesterday it was Breakneck Ridge (gotta love the name J ), just north of Cold Springs, NY. We’ve been lucky with all these hikes.

The trailhead for Breakneck Ridge is located on rt. 9D approximately 1.5-2 miles north of Cold Spring, NY in Dutchess County. Heading up from Cold Spring, you will drive through a tunnel that goes right under the Ridge. Once out of the tunnel, there is a small parking area on your left or a larger one about one tenth of a mile up also on the left hand side. A lot of people just parked on the shoulder of the road on the right hand side, I did this.

The trailhead is right before the tunnel on the river side of the road. This is the Breakneck Ridge Trail and is identified by white markers. Right from the start the trail starts of steep and goes right over the tunnel
normal_BreakNeck01.JPG

You start by going up a nice steep wooded trail which almost immediately turns to mostly rock:
normal_BreakNeck03.JPG

The next thing you you’re your scrambling up some nice steep rocks. All along the views of the the Hudson below you and Storm King Mountain across the Hudson are great. In the first .4 mile you climb 800 feet and a total of about 1200 feet in the first mile. Just about the entire first mile is rock scrambling which is hand over hand climbing. If it was any tougher it would require ropes.
normal_BreakNeck17.JPG

normal_BreakNeck21.JPG

normal_BreakNeck22.JPG

For those that may find the rock scrambling a little rough, there are sections that are marked with a <---X---> these are bypasses that will take you around the rocks. We didn’t do any of these, but I’m sure they are still a good workout since the steepness is still there. One thing that can make this trail tough for some is the amount of false summits. Just as you thing you got to the top, boom, you find your next summit :) Anyway once we got to the top of this ridge, after two hours of scrambling, we were rewarded with some beautiful views, took a bit of breather and continued on.

The rest of the hike was nice wooded trails that kept on going up and down, up and down(false summits). We eventually got to Sunset point which had a small lookout tower and nice views. This was about the 4 mile mark and took us about 3.5 hours to get to. Initially the goal was to hike to South Beacon Tower on South Beacon Mountain. This would have involved doing some more rock scrambling in a section know as Devil’s Ladder. Since we got a late start, were a bit beat from the hike/climb so far and saw more up/downs coming up, we decided to turn back and leave the tower for a future visit. To get back, we took the Breakneck Ridge Trail(white) to Breakneck Bypass Trail (Red), and Wilkinson Trail (Yellow). This bypassed the rocks we did at the beginning of the hike. Overall, this was and excellent hike/climb and a good workout.

normal_BreakNeck34.JPG

normal_BreakNeck45.JPG

For more pics go to: http://killingtonaccessrd.com/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=85

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
That's another great hike you did, Andy. I haven't been up to Breakneck in a long time...but it's a beautiful hike as are some others along the Hudson Highlands. The first time I did that hike, I just kept thinking to myself as I was scrambling up the first 1/3 of a mile (with a 1000' gain in elevation over that same distance), that "I hope there's another way down". :)

JimG.

Staff member
That's another great hike you did, Andy. I haven't been up to Breakneck in a long time...but it's a beautiful hike as are some others along the Hudson Highlands. The first time I did that hike, I just kept thinking to myself as I was scrambling up the first 1/3 of a mile (with a 1000' gain in elevation over that same distance), that "I hope there's another way down". :)

My thoughts exactly. Those pics do a good job of showing how steep the first 1/2 mile or so really is.

And I wonder why I too haven't been there in years.

I mean, I only LIVE in Dutchess. Gotta get over there this coming weekend. Think my 11 and 13 year old sons could handle that?

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
My thoughts exactly. Those pics do a good job of showing how steep the first 1/2 mile or so really is.

And I wonder why I too haven't been there in years.

I mean, I only LIVE in Dutchess. Gotta get over there this coming weekend. Think my 11 and 13 year old sons could handle that?

I think so, and as I mentioned, there are bypasses for all the rocks marked with "<---X--->". Use these where the rocks may be too steep. We started at the red X and went as far as Sunset Point, with your sons I would recommend turning back at the Breakneck Pass Bypass Trail and taking Wilkinson Trail back. This will shorten the trip from about the 8 mile we did to 3.5-4 miles.

You may also want to consider Mohonk, it's not much further, a bit easier, and I'm sure the boys will love it. See how they do there and then progress to Breakneck.

Map.jpg

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Ummm Andy, just a quick question...What the heck are the bicycle gloves for??

M

I figured we'd look cool! ;)

Seriously, I knew we would need to use our hands a lot climbing up the rocks and I thought they would help by cushioning and preventing abrasion. They not only helped climbing up, but they were helpful coming down as well. I grabbed small trees as we were coming down some steeper sections for control.

SkiDog

I figured we'd look cool! ;)

Seriously, I knew we would need to use our hands a lot climbing up the rocks and I thought they would help by cushioning and preventing abrasion. They not only helped climbing up, but they were helpful coming down as well. I grabbed small trees as we were coming down some steeper sections for control.

Do you have girly hands??? ;-)

I was just teasin man....it seemed pretty obvious, though GIRLY, why you were wearing them...

:D

M