• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hiking with Dogs or Not?

Should dogs be allowed on hiking trails?

• YES. Dogs are man's best friend and should be in the wilderness.

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • YES. I have a right to bring my dog with me.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • MAYBE. If dog owners are more responsible than they are now...

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • NO. Unfortunately, there are too many dog owners who don't clean up or control their dog.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • NO. I hike to get away from dogs and civilization...the last thing I want to see is a dog...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO. Dogs can pose a danger to other people and wildlife.

• OTHER. [Please explain].

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • The Andy Zee option...

• YES. The benefit of having dogs outweighs the cons.

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

una_dogger

Yes if the dog is trailable and the trail is doggable.

And please don't get me started on Cesar Milone....

Grassi21

And please don't get me started on Cesar Milone....

Get started. I know he has is lovers and haters. I've watched a handful of episodes and read most of his book. I'm not a lover or hater, I'm just curious to hear what others think of his methods.

SilentCal

I voted maybe. It truly comes down to the dog owner. I've hiked with people who put a lot of time into training their dog. Dogs that are told to "Stay" do just that. Dogs that are told to "wait" do just that. A well behaved dog on the trail with a well intentioned owner are for the most part the norm that I have run into on trails. All it takes, though, is one idiot who has no respect for other hikers, dogs and general trail sense to ruin it for the good-owners. Far more people will remember a bad encounter and pass it along than a good encounter. That's the sad part.....

una_dogger

Get started. I know he has is lovers and haters. I've watched a handful of episodes and read most of his book. I'm not a lover or hater, I'm just curious to hear what others think of his methods.

He's basically got zip in terms of training/apprenticeship and experience and basically he's been skyrocketed to stardom by Oprah Winfrey/others.

I've watched nearly every episode and I see "shutdown" over stressed dogs who are for the most part avoiding him and who knows what they are actually learning. Managing a situation does not equal training. The dogs are learning nothing, the humans are learning nothing, Natl Geo is selling lots of advertising spots.

Whether its kids or dogs, it doesn't take much to make a clueless owner/parent think you are doing something miraculous.

Milan is not a trainer, he is not endorsed by any trainer or animal welfare group anywhere in the world, and has mostly been denounced by all. Why Natl Geo is promoting him is a huge disappointment to me.

That 'nuf for ya?

:)

tjf67

He's basically got zip in terms of training/apprenticeship and experience and basically he's been skyrocketed to stardom by Oprah Winfrey/others.

I've watched nearly every episode and I see "shutdown" over stressed dogs who are for the most part avoiding him and who knows what they are actually learning. Managing a situation does not equal training. The dogs are learning nothing, the humans are learning nothing, Natl Geo is selling lots of advertising spots.

Whether its kids or dogs, it doesn't take much to make a clueless owner/parent think you are doing something miraculous.

Milan is not a trainer, he is not endorsed by any trainer or animal welfare group anywhere in the world, and has mostly been denounced by all. Why Natl Geo is promoting him is a huge disappointment to me.

That 'nuf for ya?

I have watched a lot of his episodes and I think the guy has a lot of valid points. I have seen him work with dogs that has the same traits as mine. I have worked using some of his techniques and they worked.
Being denounced by all is sour milk.

Grassi21

That 'nuf for ya?

That is plenty. ;-) I wasn't challenging your statement, I was curious as to what your stance was. I agree on you point about him not having proper training/apprenticeship. But at the same time I've spoken with professional dog trainers who think that Milan's methods are acceptable.

And I agree with you on the Oprah thing. Just because Oprah or Will and Jada Pinket Smith (he mentioned them in his book) rave about Milan doesn't make him a world renowned expert at dog training.

JimG.

Staff member

To stay on topic, if I got this response from a hiker who I asked the question that is this thread's topic, I would be glad to share the trail with both owner and canine.

You get it.