• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Name that obscure peak

sledhaulingmedic

Hint: it is in NH.

whichone1.jpg

whichone2.jpg

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
There aren't that many open-topped summits with climbable towers (vantage of 2nd photo) on them.

But ... I've never been on this peak. So my guess has to be a summit I"ve never been to, based solely on the tower. That guess is Pack Monadnock.

sledhaulingmedic

Two hints:

Less than 4000', it's heavily climbed neighbor is also less than 4000' and that's mount washington in the background

Greg

Staff member
sledhaulingmedic said:
and that's mount washington in the background
Morning or evening shot?

ChileMass

That looks like Washington as seen from the south looking north, so does that make the "heavily-travelled neighbor" Chocorua? Or maybe Kearsarge? What's in that area..........?

TenPeaks

The first picture reminded me of the foundation on Middle Sister near Mt. Chocorua, but there is no tower to climb to look down on it. I know it's not Kersarge North since I was there just a few weeks ago. So in conclusion, I have no #$%&*n idea!

sledhaulingmedic

Chocorua is the neighbor:

Chocoura.jpg

I brought my own "tower" (rather, it brought me):

Heliport.jpg

Yes, it is Middle Sister

Greg

Staff member
Found this pic in our forums that may have clued us in as well. Anyway, this was fun. Anyone have any others?

sledhaulingmedic

So you going to take pics of next year's Flags on the 48 for us from your "mobile tower"?

-Stephen

That sure would be cool, but not in my budget. The helicopter was supplied by the Feds as part of the contract I was working on. It's likely to be a while until I have that opportunity again. Each trip cost more than I make in a week!

Although it was a little underhanded putting the ariel shot in there, it seems like everyone enjoyed it. Kinda of a variation on the "Name this Ski area" posts on Snowjournal.com.

Maybe a new tradition?