• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Be totally honest...

wa-loaf

I just coined a new term: it's the extreme version of batwings, otherwise classified as... DUN DUN DUN...

frilledneck.jpg

Does anyone else's lizard have a frilled neck this fine evening?

That cracked me up and I laughed out loud. Leading me to have to explain to my wife what batwings are! :oops:

madskier6

PLEASE DON'T TAKE THIS THE WRONG WAY!

When kids are infants, they act more like a possession than a person. What I mean to say is that they pretty much stay in the place you put them, 1/2 the time they are strapped into something and immobile, they need to be cleaned regularly, they don't talk to you or talk back (not in a way you understand in detail anyway). The only thing different is that you have to feed them.

It becomes more difficult when they start to walk, but until they are 3 or so they are so cute you just adore them.

Once they hit 4-5 years old, that all changes. Now they become little people with demands, emotions, issues, needs, desires, bad habits, etc. And when they get to 10 they become a real person/pain in the ass. At least boys do. Bad breath, body odor, farting and burping and laughing about it, fresh mouth. But they still remember how to whine like a 3 year old. My 13 year old is now discovering girls. And they're discovering him too. Oy!

It's a challenge to direct all of that youthful energy to good purpose. It's alot of work to create productive members of society with good manners and behaviour. But it's work you and only you can do. You learn what it is to make personal sacrifice to benefit them. And even though you love it, it's alot.

In the winter, we ski together and it's relatively easy to juggle things. But in summer, with 5 acres to tend to, ceaseless soccer practice/games to attend, a job all week, it gets to be a strain and personal down time is at a premium if any exists at all. I'll get up at 4am on a Sunday to go fishing just to be home by 10am to do yardwork. And it's still a sacrifice because it's hotter then.

So that's why I said what I did about kids and summer.

This is the Post of the Month IMHO! Jim G, you are so right in what you say here.

I have a (soon to be) 15-year old girl & then 3 boys, ages 13, 11 & 9 so I can relate. Summer is great but keeping them all occupied without driving me & my wife crazy is a definite challenge.

Nevertheless, there are many huge benefits/rewards for all the hard work/frustration. A major benefit is being able to ski with your children on a great day when everything seems to come together nicely. It is so much fun to share a great ski day in the mountains with your children. Sometimes, it's the only time you're able to spend quality time with them without outside distractions. I live for a great powder day skiing with my children!

JimG.

Staff member
True I don't have to take them home but I do....
They are over to the house most every weekend in the spring, summer and fall. They already know Grandpa not around during the winter.

Whenever my father comes over and dotes on the boys I tell him that and he laughs at me.

It always makes me remember W.C Fields' line, "kids are like elephants; they're nice to look at but I wouldn't want to bring one home".

drjeff

All very rational. I keep my workouts to early AM or after 9PM myself...it depends on how I feel in the AM.

My problem is that my outside recreation is 80% filled with property maintenance this time of year. Listen, it's good hard work but it's also muddy, dirty, and backbreaking. Most of it is my own compulsiveness about making my part of the world look nice. So, the heat has the additional negative of making the grass grow if you know what I mean.

I hear you! Last week I was on vacation and a good part of my non kid duty time was consumed with 10 yards of mulch, a couple of seasons of deferred tree trimming, a spring of defferred weeding, fertilizer application and the good ol' lawn mowing duties.

On the flip side, man does my yard look good right now! :)

JimG.

Staff member
I hear you! Last week I was on vacation and a good part of my non kid duty time was consumed with 10 yards of mulch, a couple of seasons of deferred tree trimming, a spring of defferred weeding, fertilizer application and the good ol' lawn mowing duties.

On the flip side, man does my yard look good right now! :)

That describes the last 2 weeks on my property to a tee.

And yes, this is the best my yard will look all year.

Greg

Staff member
I started the digging (by hand) for this masonry project I'm still engulfed in over two months ago! I don't want to hear no whining over some mulch and some lawn mowing! :smash:

;)

JimG.

Staff member
I started the digging (by hand) for this masonry project I'm still engulfed in over two months ago! I don't want to hear no whining over some mulch and some lawn mowing! :smash:

;)

Big project. I've done a few smaller masonry projects near the foundation of my house, but big retaining walls like those at the end of my driveway were too much for me to handle.

Those required frontloaders to move the dirt.

dmc

I'm in San Fran right now... It's cool yet humid... Wierd... And the bread tastes funny...