• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Be totally honest...

JimG.

Staff member
who really likes this weather today? 98 with oppressive humidity.

Not interested in the folks who say they like it while they sip a mint julep in front of the A/C. I want to hear from the folks who run 10 miles in this weather or who play 3 sets of tennis. The folks who can run all out in the heat and still feel energetic and ready for more action.

This weather is poison to my system. No energy, no appetite. Stepping outside is like going inside a blast furnace. Does nothing for me except make me wish for cold and snow.

wa-loaf

It's only 75 in Cambridge today. I'm sure your heat is on it's way. I hate it, except when I used live/work on a lake in HS. We really want to move to northern NH and are working to make it happen in the next couple years.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
My brother likes it..if it gets below 85 in the summmer he starts to bitch about it. He lives in the city and runs just about everyday. He always gets on me when I am bitching about the heat but its my turn in the winter when he is bitching about the cold.

cbcbd

In the heat I like to partake in water sports... Feeling hot? Roll the kayak...

SkiDog

As most of you know I am living in Utah...we are having seriously unseasonable heat here and dryness (umm yeah 300,000 acres burned since mid last week)....anyway...its about 100 today....I was commenting to a co-worker as we were driving back from lunch and seeing a jogger I was just wondering why the heck he was out running in this oppressive heat? Why not go to a gym and run a treadmill in the air conditioning...

NOT ME....

M

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com

Not interested in the folks who say they like it while they sip a mint julep in front of the A/C. I want to hear from the folks who run 10 miles in this weather or who play 3 sets of tennis. The folks who can run all out in the heat and still feel energetic and ready for more action.

This weather is poison to my system. No energy, no appetite. Stepping outside is like going inside a blast furnace.
Does nothing for me except make me wish for cold and snow.

I'm the same way Jimbo. I'm biologically built for cold weather.

When winter rolls around and my friends are in 5 layers with heavy gloves, I'm sking in a double layer poly pro and nylon shell, with spring gloves. All I have to do is be active and I'm warm, no matter how cold it gets.

But this stuff is awful. Makes me want to move north (among other reasons).

hammer

I despise the heat, makes me more cranky than usual (and that means I'm pretty cranky). Wish I could move further north but the IT jobs just aren't there and, in all honesty, being within 50 miles of a major city does have its benefits...

That said, I'm trying to stay positive:
  • Bike rides in the evenings are more tolerable for me when it's not too cool out...as long as I keep moving.
  • I have a better chance of convincing the family to go on a good hike up in the mountains if it's warm enough.
  • The days are starting to get shorter now (even if it's only by a minute or so in the morning).

Terry

70 degrees and showers most of the day here. A good day to work inside and quite comfortable temps. It looks like the heat and humidity will hit here tomorrow. I hate it when it gets above 80 degrees! Bring on the snowwwwww! :snow:

snoseek

a.c. is addictive, and can easily be kicked. hang out in a greenhouse, rooftop or commercial kitchen for a few hours and 95 degrees seems downright comfy. i personally don't like heat, but lots of water and proper clothing make it easier.

btw- all summer i work very long weeks in temps that often exceed 120 (easily), and i really think water, nutrition, and sleep go a long way. a cold towel on the neck also helps.

thaller1

I'm good w/ 60 and below... 70 if I'm on the ocean and there's a breeze... anything above 30 percent humidity and I feel like crap... I have arthritis and I feel 100 years old ... :(

Sky

I like it all. Hot summers. Cold winters...and Spring/Fall with the warm sun and cool nights.

40 to 60F if I'm working outside all day.

I don't mind the really cold stuff if I'l supposed to be out in it all day. I'll dress for it.

All day in the 100+ is tough for me. Baghdad Oct 03 *ugh*

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Had a great day of biking yesterday. Went up to Lake Minnewaska Preserve and biked. I thought it was going to be hot at the top, but no, nice constant wind on the cliffs. Afterwards, we biked down and had a BBQ in the picnic area, right by the lake. Nice constant breeze there as well. Then we left, I stop on the Thruway for a coffee, got out of the car and felt like I walked into an oven!

Grassi21

Once a week I strap on the lacrosse gear and run around for close to an hour. Its a pretty nasty feeling when you sweat through your shirt, jersey, underwear, and shorts. I need to do a quick change in the parking lot before driving home. Pretty gross but I love my lax.

The nice thing about kayaking is I can dump my self in the water to practice my self rescue skills and cool off at the same time. But as I mentioned in another thread, I took a lesson on July 4th. I got talking with one of the guides and the discussion quickly moved to skiing once I found out he is from New Hampshire. I do appreciate each day and what it offers, but the ski jones (not the cold weather jones) is growing on a daily basis.

YardSaleDad

Website
www.tirnalong.com

Mmmm...Thermals

mmmm.jpg

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Crazy off and on down pours with an impressive lightning show mixed in yesterday throughout the day and especially the night. Ugly humidity but at least it never got too hot.

JimG.

Staff member
a.c. is addictive, and can easily be kicked. hang out in a greenhouse, rooftop or commercial kitchen for a few hours and 95 degrees seems downright comfy. i personally don't like heat, but lots of water and proper clothing make it easier.

btw- all summer i work very long weeks in temps that often exceed 120 (easily), and i really think water, nutrition, and sleep go a long way. a cold towel on the neck also helps.

Being in the food industry, I hear you about the commercial kitchen deal...and I totally agree about the clothing, nutrition and water. I eat less, but not because I'm not active; the heat just seems to kill my appetite. So I drink alot of water. SLEEP IS KEY. I try to sleep an extra hour in the summer months (go to bed an hour earlier).

I think I used to like summer more before I had 3 kids. I read the responses here about the hikes, bike rides, and kayaking and I have to laugh. My outdoors activity in summer is mowing, weedwacking, digging dirt, hefting stones and large bags of miscellaneous crap, etc. Then I get to drive my kids to watch THEM have fun doing something because they're inside and bored. At least I've gotten my 13 year old onto the riding mower and doing an acceptable job of mowing the lawn. I told him it's good practice for driving a car when he's 16.

I'd never seen him move so fast to do a chore as when I said that.

Grassi21

I think I used to like summer more before I had 3 kids. I read the responses here about the hikes, bike rides, and kayaking and I have to laugh. My outdoors activity in summer is mowing, weedwacking, digging dirt, hefting stones and large bags of miscellaneous crap, etc. Then I get to drive my kids to watch THEM have fun doing something because they're inside and bored.

As a home owner some of that stuff is a given. Like last night, I got home from work and tore out an old mildew smelling rug out of the finished basement.

As for the kid stuff, our first one is due in 11 days. I'm looking forward to watching the kid have fun. Despite the sleep deprivation, I'm excited for the upcoming events!