• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Breakneck Ridge 07/15/07

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Date(s) Hiked:7/15/2007

Trails(s) Hiked: Breakneck Ridge Trail (White), Breakneck Bypass Trail (Red), Wilkinson Trail (Yellow)

Total Distance:approx. 3 miles RT
Difficulty:Strenuous, rock scrambling for the first mile. Gentle hills afterwards.

Conditions: Hot and muggy.

Trip Report:

Saturday was a fun party with a few Zoners on Long Island. But, also ate and drank a fair amount, so no question about it, yesterday we had to get some excercise in. We decided to hike Breakneck Ridge again, this is our second time there. This may not be VT, NH, or ME, and it's no more than 50 miles outside of Manhatan, but it's got to be one of the top 5 hikes in the Northeast. If anyone ever wants to join us let me know.

It was very muggy yesterday so it made the climb a bit tougher, but hey, we were there for some excercise and we did work up a good sweat. Where last time we decided to hike to the Beacon Mt lookout tower, this time we got it short. We just climbed the 1.5 miles up the rockpile and then back down. This is the most extreme part of the hike anyway and the best exercise. These two pics are Breakneck ridge from the road, that pile of rock ahead is the begining of the hike:

normal_P7150001.JPG
normal_P7150002.JPG

Instead of posting a whole bunch of pics, I decided to do them in "Salida-vision":
normal_P7150015done.jpg
normal_P7150032done.jpg

normal_P7150051done.jpg

For more pics go to: http://killingtonaccessrd.com/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=88

Last edited:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I live in Cold Spring. That first half mile is my normal morning constitutional. Give a shout next time you are up.

We stopped in the town of Cold Spring for the first time this week. Went to the Kayak store to buy some trail maps. Nice little town with a fair amount of restaurants. Any recommendations for the next time we're up? Which by the way, may be this weekend :)

YardSaleDad

Website
www.tirnalong.com
The Riverview, Le Bouchon, Cathryn's Tuscan Grill, and the Hudson House are all very good.

As for trails, have you done the south ascent of South Beacon mountain? I like that scramble much more than Breakneck, but it's a few miles from any road. I usually do it, when I hike from Cold Spring to Beacon.

PM Sent with contact info.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
The Riverview, Le Bouchon, Cathryn's Tuscan Grill, and the Hudson House are all very good.

As for trails, have you done the south ascent of South Beacon mountain? I like that scramble much more than Breakneck, but it's a few miles from any road. I usually do it, when I hike from Cold Spring to Beacon.

PM Sent with contact info.

First time we went on 7/1, we tried hiking to South Beacon. We got as far as Sunset Point and turned back because; 1) it was getting late and 2) the false summits were starting to get to us :) . We do still plan on getting out to South Beacon by fall at the latest. We do plan on going up again this coming Sunday http://forums.alpinezone.com/17150-breakneck-ridge-07-22-07-a.html#post173225