• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2007-07-21 Hale

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
Hey Uphill!

Nice meeting you up on the trail to hale and then on top. That was a great day for jsut chilling on the summit. I made it to South Hale easily. Actually, this was one of the easiest 'Whacks I've done, and possibly most beautiful. Open forests with moss floor -- dont seem them like that often!

My Camera is dying so most of my summit shots did not come out :( But at least I figured out the problem by the time I hit south hale!

http://hoosactunnel.net/adventure/gallery/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=127

Sorry no TR --- YET

PS. I added about 18" to the Cairn half of that was on the way to South hale, half on the way back. It did help the views a bit :) Hopefully those rocks don't crumble too soon!

Skier75

Yep, we had a great time! It was good to meet other people too. Man do I ever need to do more hiking! Unfortunately, my quads are still sore from the hike! Need to stretch and do more hiking and less house work! Was hoping my daughter was going to join us, but couldn't, so Sunday we did something easy with her and her husband. Great weekend, hard to go home.....

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
yes, pretty much every NH100 peak has a canister or a jar like that (except peaks in wilderness areas cause rangers take them down),

Registers like that are handy cause:
a) you know where the summit is (usually, sometimes they aren't on the true summit, or there are more than one)
b) there is a record of who has been to the peak

There were 3 entries from the last month or so in the canister. Lots of VFTTers. the NHHH peakbagging community is semi-tight knit in that we have pretty much all seen each others registry entries and frequently see familiar names in the registers.

pedxing

I've never paid any attention to canisters. Trail registers have been fun - but I've never looked for registers.

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
If you are bushwacking to 100 Highest or 3000'ers, it's often the best way to know that you've found it, or at least that you've found what other people thought was the summit. But the entries are great to read.

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
It was only in the Dacks that this was an issue, and that was the State DOC. I haven't seen this happen in the Whites.

When I did Lowell/Anderson the canisters had been removed. Evidence of the former canisters could be found on the trees. the consensus of opinion was that the canisters had been removed by the forest service due to the wilderness designation. Other possibilities? sure, but rangers removing the canisters would not surprise many I think.

This isn't the first canister Ive found missing (south weeks was gone too) I'd believe vandals in the case of S Weeks tho since its on a trail. Lowell and Anderson on the other hand aren't exactly hikes for your average Joey :-o

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
That's the first I'd heard of that. Has the FS confirmed this? If so, I think it's a mistake but I thought it was a mistake in the Daks as well. You are correct, if they were doing this it wouldn't be a complete surprise.

-dave-

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
No confirmation. According to this post on VFTT:

http://viewsfromthetop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15067&highlight=lowell

According to the post Lowell/Anderson had one as of October '06, but they were gone by December. Then there is a little back and forth with regard to "did the forest service take them down or not?" no answers though.

I can say with authority tho after April 07 there was a canister on both Lowell and Anderson tho ;-);-);-);-);-);-);-) Dunno if they are still there or not...

PS sorry for the hijack! :)

Last edited: