• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Mountain, NH, 07/26/07

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Cannon Mountain, NH

Date Hiked: 07/26/07

Trails(s) Hiked: Kinsman Ridge Trail

Difficulty: Moderate

Conditions: Hazy, hot

Special Equipment Required: None

After having bailed on Mt. Isolation after only two miles due to the knee the day before, I decided to try something a bit shorter. Time for Cannon Mountain.

I arrived at the trailhead just a bit after lunch time. Though the topography up the tram side of Cannon Mountain is rather steep, the Kinsman Ridge Trail has many cutbacks. The trail maintains a decent pitch, nonetheless, and is fairly challenging in some places (wet, large, steep rock slaps).

Once the gladed ski trail veers off to the right, things level out considerably. Once the trail reaches the top of the ridge, things become interesting - the vegetation here is maybe waist high, giving it a nice alpine zone like feel. This is also where the crowds start - thank you Mr. Tramway.

Despite the haze, the views from the summit observation deck were great - the Franconia Ridge and the Kinsmans were scenic as always.

After leaving the tower, I decided to take a quick walk over to the tram station and grab some french fries - having a full service cafeteria - as well as a bathroom where you can throw cold water on your face in the near 90 degree temperatures - makes the summit crowds bearable.

The descent was somewhat challenging - as expected - due to the wet rock.

Nice to be back out on the trails - I think I might try to get back up to this summit when there are less tourists around, as it's a nice one!

cannonmtnsummit-2007-0726a.jpg

Fraconia Ridge from the Cannon Mountain summit