• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

ski sale

jack97

I need to get her to check this link.

I would make her stay away..... she might get the idea of converting the house /yard into a dog breeding farm and make your son a farmhand at the age of 10. :dunce:

koreshot

Just got the B3s in the mail from Sierra. Brand new, still in wrapper.

Spent the last 30 minutes flexing them and comparing them to the other skis in the quiver and I gotta say, they feel stiffer than I expected them to. Pretty light too. I probably would have been happier with a pair of Legend 8000s, but for $200 shipped, I will "suffer" on the B3s as my everyday EC beater ski. Lets just hope I am not too turned off by the damp, boring feel that the Bandit line is known for.

I also did some brake bending on a pair of Look P12s I will be mounting on the B3s - their brakes were meant for skis that are 80mm and less. First brake bend job I have done on the Axial2 type brakes - took half an hour and they fit nice and snug around the 83mm B3s. The bend job on the Axial2 brakes isn't any harder than the original Axials. I might post a how to later this week cause I was actually disciplined enough to take pictures this time around.

By the way, one observation on the P12 normal size brakes. I think Look claims that they are for skis 80mm or less. I tried them on a pair of beat up Public Enemy skis which are supposed to be 80mm under foot and they could not clear them. The PEs are sandwich vertical sidewalls, rather than cap rounded/angeled - I think this was making the fit harder.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
RE: P12 Brake Sizing:

The ski tech was barely able to get the Look P12s on my 8000s which amazes me because Dynastar/Look sell (sold) these two items together. Matter of fact, halfway through last season, the break was jamming up and needed a bend job to get back into acceptable position. The 8000s are 79mm mid-point for what it is worth.

koreshot

RE: P12 Brake Sizing:

The ski tech was barely able to get the Look P12s on my 8000s which amazes me because Dynastar/Look sell (sold) these two items together. Matter of fact, halfway through last season, the break was jamming up and needed a bend job to get back into acceptable position. The 8000s are 79mm mid-point for what it is worth.

Wow... who is the idiot that designed those brakes? Trying to save on 2 ounces of alluminum...

The problem with fitting the 8000s doesn't surprise me at all. On 80mm PEs they weren't even close to fitting. I find it silly that Look/Dynastar/Rossi make such skinny brakes for their bindings, considering that it seems 90% of the skis on the market under 75mm wide already come with built-in rail bindings. Making them 85-90mm would make life eaiser for a lot of people, but I guess then they couldn't charge you 45 dollars for a wide brake.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Just a guess here, but I am sure when the P12s became a huge standard for Look, 80mm width was the max most skiers were going. I think Look just missed the ship by a few years as now 80mm is the minimum many skiers will consider! I assume the newer PX line address this issue and has larger sized brakes standard?

Crock

pulled the trigger on Solomon 1080 guns last week (174 length) from sierra, and had completely forgotten about them with work and the like to distract me. Then UPS pulls into the driveway today and voila: brand new pow/glade skis. Hope we get super dumped on this season.

jack97

I assume the newer PX line address this issue and has larger sized brakes standard?

I haven't had time to measure the PX12 brake width.

However, getboards is selling the rossi scratch 120 WB (for wide brake), they claim to fit 100 mm waist. Again, something I haven't measure, it's from their product description.

koreshot

I haven't had time to measure the PX12 brake width.

However, getboards is selling the rossi scratch 120 WB (for wide brake), they claim to fit 100 mm waist. Again, something I haven't measure, it's from their product description.

I have the Scratch 140 WB binders on a pair of 99mm boards... no clearance problems at all.

jack97

BTW, the rossi scratch 120/ look px12 has detachable brakes; a wide brake or standard can be placed. I saw the tech mount my px12, he took the brakes off to mount/screw in the heel piece.

koreshot

Yup. Single phillips head screw takes them right off. But putting the wide brakes on still costs money - most places will charge you between 30 to 50 bux for a Axial2 wide brake system. Messed up...

That is why I just take my skinny brakes apart and bend them to fit the wider skis and put them back together. 30 minutes of work saves $30-$50

mlctvt

Just a guess here, but I am sure when the P12s became a huge standard for Look, 80mm width was the max most skiers were going. I think Look just missed the ship by a few years as now 80mm is the minimum many skiers will consider! I assume the newer PX line address this issue and has larger sized brakes standard?

You guys are scaring me. I recently got a set of 06/07 Dynastar Legend 8000s and I'm planning on getting the Look PX12 bindings from Backcountry.com. Are you saying I should not get the standard Look PX12 with 80mm brakes? I assumed these would fit the 8000s since they are 79mm under foot? I guess I could do the brake modification if needed but I hoped to avoid that if possible.
Riv - did yours get bent slightly during use and you just had to bend them back so they wouldn't hit the side of the ski? Or did you have to do the whole brake modification by taking apart the binding?

koreshot

You guys are scaring me. I recently got a set of 06/07 Dynastar Legend 8000s and I'm planning on getting the Look PX12 bindings from Backcountry.com. Are you saying I should not get the standard Look PX12 with 80mm brakes? I assumed these would fit the 8000s since they are 79mm under foot? I guess I could do the brake modification if needed but I hoped to avoid that if possible.
Riv - did yours get bent slightly during use and you just had to bend them back so they wouldn't hit the side of the ski? Or did you have to do the whole brake modification by taking apart the binding?

I'll let river be the final word on this, since he is the resident expert on the 8000s, but I think you should be fine mounting the PX12s on the 8Ks. Look even makes the PX12 in a color that matches the 8K :). It will be snug, but it should fit without any rubbing.

I actually picked up a pair of 8Ks in a shop that was going out of business and im having them mounted with the PX12 with standard width brakes. They will be done next week and I can post back tell you if the tech ran into any problems.

big_vert

8000's take the standard size P12's. Not to worry.

Once you step up to the 8800's - then you have to go with the oversized brake.

mlctvt

8000's take the standard size P12's. Not to worry.

Once you step up to the 8800's - then you have to go with the oversized brake.

Perfect timing!
I just grabbed a pair on SAC for $81.00.

Thanks!

skibum1321

I have the Legend 8000s with the PX12 as my setup. They do fit, albeit a tight fit. I would say that the PX12 is no wider than the P12 to answer River's question from above.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
You'll be fine. My only had to get bent back into place after usage and I am not gentle on my gear by a long shot. Tight but barely doable. Surprised the PX12 was not made wider to accommodate slightly larger mid-fats. Perhaps Look/Dynastar are failing to look beyond their own line up despite having a highly viewed product.