• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Galehead and Twins - 08/05/07

skibum9995

Date(s) Hiked: 08/05/07

Trails(s) Hiked: Gale River Tr, Garfield Ridge Tr, Frost Tr, Twinway, N Twin Spur

Total Distance: 14.4 mi

Difficulty:Moderate

Conditions: Perfect

Special Required Equipment: none

Trip Report:
I usually don't hike on weekends to avoid the crowds but I had a day off and the weather looked like it would be nice. It turned out to be near perfect weather, sunny, not to hot, and few to no clouds. Started out on the Gale River Tr at 9:00 and cruised along the easy section of trail and up the short, steeper section up to Garfield Ridge where I ran int oa group of 7-8 thru hikers stopped for a snack. I got to the hut and continued up to Galehead, tagged the summit and retreated to the viewpoint for a breather. I then descennded back to the hut and started the climb up to S Twin. It was a pretty steady climb, steep in places, but went by fairly quickly. I was passed by a lot of folks headed down. I made it to the summit for lunch at about 12:15 and stopped for a half hour. I usually only stop for 10-15 mins at a time but the weather was perfect and the views amazing so I just sat around for a while. I headed off for N twin and enjoyed the nice ridge walk across. After a break and some chatting with a group at the outlook I head back for S Twin. I returned at 2:00 and once again stopped to enjoy the views. Going down to the hut was the hardest part of the hike and after that was over I leisurely strolled back to my car stopping at the last crossing of the Gale River to cool off. Great hike, perfect weather.

Mike P.

Thanks for the TR, South Twin is one of my favorite summits!