• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2007-08 "Resident" Boot Fitter Thread

Skiiboot

Pat,

It could be one of may or even a couple of things. The first thing I would look at is the footbed, Is it posted firm enough. You must stop your foot from moving first. The blood flow is being shut down for a couple reasons, the padding has moved (very unlikely) or the liner is packed out. The boot is to big, and the c-pads that are in the liner don't line up to tour ankle. Or you could have a pressure that is tough to find.

Jeff

ironwalker

atomic 8.2 new footbeds,stance aligment.fore aft balancing.great fit and performane BUT fridged toes. will boot heaters affect work i've done thanx

Skiiboot

Heaters will help put heat in the toebox, be careful that there are no blood vessels restricted.

Thanks

Jeff

Skiiboot

your foot should not be tingling, that is a blood flow problem and or nerve problem

Jeff

ironwalker

at times feels like my socks or something bunched under toes on left foot. i know that's not the case checked it out. but both feet are cold. i know that the sock feeling ain't right.footbeds are alines. shop talked me into trying em. any opinions on em. said they'll take em back if not satisfied. thanx in advance

WJenness

I have A-Lines too. I've on occasion had the 'bunched sock' feeling, but I think it was actually the sock being bunched.

I live the A-Lines. I have flat feet, and if I don't wear the A-Lines in my boots, about ten minutes into wearing them, the inside of my ankle starts to hurt pretty badly. With the A-Lines, I go all day pain free.

-w

Skiiboot

If you would like to talk about alines give me a call, I type so slow that I would type for 2 days to answer the question properly. But with alines it is possible that the sock gets bunched because of the friction that the plastic makes, or it could be the semi met pad that is built into the footbed.

Thanks

Jeff

LineSki15

Jeff, my calf muscles are sore after skiing in my new Salomon impact 10boots. I'm pretty sure it's the boot because my calves never got this sore with my old boots. these boots fit well because I have experienced very little pain in my foot, but they are a LOT stiffer than my old boots, so I"m thinking my incorrect skiing style (leaning back too much - yeah I"m working on it) has caused this sore calf problem because the boots are so stiff and don't allow my ankle to move too much at all, so the stress is put on my calves when I lean back.
does that sound correct to you or do I need to do something about my boot fit?

Skiiboot

lineski

Yes the balance you are talking about can be the problem, Tha ankle joint could also be a problem, the boot being stiffer, the ankle dosen't flex as much, makes calf, acillies tighter. The culf could be a little higher and adding just a bit of pressure. There could be a bunch of things to get a calf pressure.

Thanks

Jeff

LineSki15

thanks for the reply! so I guess I should just conentrate on skiing properly right? The boots must have higher calfs than my old ones because they seem to sit me a little more forward, which is good, now I just have to stop fighting them and ski the right way!

wa-loaf

thanks for the reply! so I guess I should just conentrate on skiing properly right? The boots must have higher calfs than my old ones because they seem to sit me a little more forward, which is good, now I just have to stop fighting them and ski the right way!

You should go see a boot fitter to have your balance checked/adjusted. Too much forward lean can actually put you in the back seat.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Jeff,
Thanks for doing this.
Why do I have no problem with ski boots but I can't for the life of me, tolerate ice skates or rollerblades. My arch (one foot or the other or both) cramps up big time after 5 minutes. I've tried arch support (my wife says I'm flat-footed, but I've never been professionally diagnosed) but they just make matters worse. These are sports I'd love to do, they come easy for me, I just cant stand up!

Skiiboot

Thanks for the question, There could be a couple of things going on with you feet, but without seeing you my first thought would be that your foot is ridged( doesn't flex and move well), and any pressure under the arch will cause some pain and discomfort. People that have flexable feet, (not hypermobile) are lucky in the fact that in many, not all occasions can wear just about anything with very few problems. There are ways of helping the problem. If you want more infomation please feel free to call.

Thanks

Jeff

aoneil

Oh, boot expert..

...I'm a ski boarder (Head Shape 94 cm skis) and I bought a pair of Salomon breeze boots (I'm a lady, after all) from a local sports store after I ordered my skis online (it's hard to find ski boards in a ski shop).

With a season pass from Wachusett, I've been well over ten times and my boots work fairly well. When it's really icy and hard (luckily not much this year), I get screaming fatigue on either side of my knees because I'm riding my edges on my wider skis that I don't get when conditions are nice (ie: more powder/granular powder). The rest of the time I'm trying not to lean forward too much (the ski boots seem to make me lean forward more than I need). Since my skis have standard ski bindings, I'm considering the purchase of a nice pair of boots that will continue to work well. Can you suggest a model or line that don't have as much of that forward angle to them? Also, they set up my boots with the upper two hinges all the way out because my calves are big (they said that's not uncommon) if that affects your recommendation any.

I don't mind going to a shop to get good boots now that I know what I'm doing (and how much I love it), but it would be nice if someone who knew could point me toward some models I can look up before I go in there blind.

Thanks!

Paul

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for participating in this thread, its nice to get feedback from a pro.

Beginning of last season, I bought a pair of Technica Vento 10s.They were the only ones that seemed to have a toe-box wide enough for my duck-feet. I had custom footbeds made and one of them didn't set right. The right one is imprinted too far back. The technician ground it down a bit, it helped, but it still doesn't feel right.I skied in them about 7 times before ending my season with a knee injury. I had my ACL replaced in March, and, as you can imagine, there was a bit of muscle atrophy.
Long story short (yeah, too late) I plan on setting-up an appointment with you to get the beds done right, and dial the boots in. I've skied in them 9 times this season, so I think they're just about packed-in. My question is, should I do it this season or wait until my right calf muscle is "back to normal"? Its getting there, but it is still a bit skinnier than the left.

Thanks in advance.

Skiiboot

aoneil,

to pick a boot for you is tough without seeing you, Very important your knees should not hurt. I sounds like you have some balance and canting problems. A good intermediate boot would be a good place to start. Then see a good fitter to fix the other issues.

Thank you