• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2007-08 "Resident" Boot Fitter Thread

Greg

Staff member
Jeff Bokum, a Master Bootfitter and board-certified Pedorthist, has again agreed to participate here and answer any questions in regards to boots and boot fitting this season. He will be posting under the username of Skiiboot. In addition to his Pedorthist credentials, Jeff is a Masterfit Instructor and the owner of Profile Orthotic Center at S&W Sports in Concord, New Hampshire. He is also a professional firefighter with the Portsmouth New Hampshire Fire Department with a Level III state certification in firefighting, EMT intermediate certification and Level II Rescue Systems. He has been a ski boot tester with Ski Press magazine since 2002. Please join me in thanking Jeff for continuing to be a valuable source of boot fitting information for the AZ community. This is his third season fielding these types of questions! Feel free to ask boot fitting related questions in this thread.

skibum1321

Custom Footbeds

I just bought a new pair of Head S13s and they seem to fit great (before actually skiing a day on them anyway). Approximately how much it would cost to go to a boot fitter and get custom footbeds and a fit analysis? In my old X-Waves I had the Superfeet ones that go for ~$30 but I was thinking of splurging and getting custom ones for the new boots.

Skiiboot

Skibum, You can pay between 150-200$ Remember this is not the place you what to scrimp on, Do your research, and there are good fitters out there, look for ones that know the body and understand the biomachanics. Fitters that have gone to school are taking there craft more serious and will do a better job, You may pay more but you will be much happier with the end result.

Thank you

Jeff

hammer

I just purchased a pair of Salomon 1080 Foil Boots for my son, size 25.5...price was right so I couldn't resist. His street size is an 8 - 8.5 at this point, but the shell fit was OK (1.5 finger width) and I think his feet have a little more growing to do.

The only thing about the boots is that they seem to be pretty roomy in the forefoot...the buckle over the instep can be already buckled beyond the first setting.

Would footbeds help to close this space in at all?

Skiiboot

Hammer,

Footbeds always help, but the footbeds I used will not take up much space. Will have to take up space in other ways.

Jeff

Greg

Staff member
the buckle over the instep can be already buckled beyond the first setting.

Interesting concern. My feet are so flat, narrow and low volume (ask Jeff - he's had the pleasure of seeing these works of art! :blink: ) that I always have to crank down buckles to almost the second to last notch. My lower calves are thin too so I have even gone to the extent of moving the top buckle to let me get it even more snug. This is after a boot fitting from Jeff once the liners packed out a bit.

My question to Jeff is, is the above something to be concerned with?

trtaylor

Jeff,

Can you speak a little bit about the abducted stance boots (Nordica Aggressor's & Fischer SOMA's)?

• Who are they for?
  • Who are they not for?
  • Are they necessary?
  • Other comments?

Thanks.

Tim

Skiiboot

Tim,

Big differance between Nordica and Fisher boots and the abducted stance. Fisher the abduction starts in the heel, and Fisher starts in the midfoot. That alone makes a big difference. The function of the abduction is to apply pressure to the inside of the boot/edge quicker. One problem is that not everybody is abducted and if you place your feet where they aren't happy it can cause problems. One problem that can happen is stress on the MCL. The ideal person for the boot is someone that is abducted and slighty varis forefoot. I think they have there place. I also an a big fan on Nordica and because the boot abduction is from midfoot forward the boots don't hurt me. Fisher is a fantastic boot that is getting better every year, I also like the way they ski, but after a couple of runs the inside of my knees get sore.

Thanks

Jeff

NHpowderhound

Scarpa Tornado Pros

Jeff, I am a resort/backcountry guy. I primarily ski powder or natural conditions and tour in the White Mountains.
I stopped by my local ski shop the other day and fell in love with the Scarpa Tornado Pros. I tried them on and was blown away with thier weight. They were like feathers. I was also blown away by the $699 price tag.
Do you have any feedback on these slippers?

((*
*))NHPH

Skiiboot

NHPH

I got to ski them and liked them. The only thing you need to careful about is getting the correct size boot. I got to ski them for 4 runs and they started to get big. Also if you know your size look around you may be able find a better price.

Thanks

Jeff

NHpowderhound

Thanks for the prompt reply Jeff!
By "felt big" do you mean they felt sloppy on your foot?
I have been pricing these babys through different avenues already and have found quite a difference in price. I am aware there is a Tornados and Tornado Pro. I have been looking at the T Pros. If I were to purchase these online or elsewhere could YOU fit me at your shop in Concord?

((*
*))NHPH

Skiiboot

NHPH

They got bigger after a couple of runs, so if they feel a bit tight when you tried them on thats good. I have no problem where you get the boots, look for the best price.

tcharron

This will sound silly, but.

Last year I bought a pair of Dalbello ski boot, I can't recall the exact model offhand, but it was an offyear model with adjustable settings for carving. When I first tried on the boot, I loved it. I love the adjustments I can make in how much movement I have forward and back in my ankles, but there's one issue. While they feel comfortable, while I'm skiing, they hurt my toes. They're not squished or anything, but it's almost like when actually going skiing on them, that the TOP of my toes is being pinched. I haven't tried to take the liner out or anything yet, but, would it help? Did I simply buy something that just didn't fit me right?

hammer

This will sound silly, but.

Last year I bought a pair of Dalbello ski boot, I can't recall the exact model offhand, but it was an offyear model with adjustable settings for carving. When I first tried on the boot, I loved it. I love the adjustments I can make in how much movement I have forward and back in my ankles, but there's one issue. While they feel comfortable, while I'm skiing, they hurt my toes. They're not squished or anything, but it's almost like when actually going skiing on them, that the TOP of my toes is being pinched. I haven't tried to take the liner out or anything yet, but, would it help? Did I simply buy something that just didn't fit me right?
Did you have a shell fit done when you tried the boots out? Also, how far do you have to crank down the buckles?

Just thinking of a few fit-related questions, but I defer to Jeff's expertise...if you live near Concord, maybe a visit to Jeff would be in order.:cool:

tcharron

Did you have a shell fit done when you tried the boots out? Also, how far do you have to crank down the buckles?

Just thinking of a few fit-related questions, but I defer to Jeff's expertise...if you live near Concord, maybe a visit to Jeff would be in order.:cool:

No, no fitting done at all. They where on sale, I liked them, and they walked comfy.

After your question, I just went ahead and actually tried them on, and took the liner out of the boot itself. Now taking into consideration that the buckles themselves are adjustable, The buckles are in the following order, from toe up.

Toe: First slot
Second: Third slot (in the middle)
Third: Second or third slot (roughly in the middle)
Last (highest): First slot

What I did notice was the liner itself has a big '+' stich in the front, over the toes. After putting the liner itself on my foot, without the rest of the boot, I noticed that it seemed to be 'squeezing' the toes together a little bit. When I wiggle the toes outside of the boot, I can feel the stiching in the '+' rubbing against my big toe, ironically enough, where it tends to hurt/getsore/cold while I've ben skiing for a few hours.

Skiiboot

tcharron,

Sometimes the funniest things can cause the biggest problems. The stiching is one, this is a common problem when the toe box is a little tight, some boots are better then others.

Thanks

Jeff

tcharron

tcharron,

Sometimes the funniest things can cause the biggest problems. The stiching is one, this is a common problem when the toe box is a little tight, some boots are better then others.

Thanks

Jeff

I believe this to be the issue, it is a little tight, after taking into consideration comments, and actually looking.

How much are custom liners for boots typically? While in the future I think I'll choose a boot with a bit more toe room, I do really like the boot itself.

Skiiboot

Make more toe room, it's a common fix. If you are looking at new liners it depends on what you what for liners, the price can range from 150-400$

Jeff

skidbump

Jeff,
I skied 100 + days on my nodica speed machines "14" and end of last season/ begining this season my right heel falls asleep after about 30 min.I losened 2 middle buckles and flex foot and seems ok but i cant find a pressure point "i think its along my achilles tendon towards top of heel".When i loosen boots i cant find a happy place its iether heel asleep or heel lifts and rubs..I feel like the rubbing on back of heel is causing a large round callus or bone spur on back of heel. We ground out where callus/spur is and also worked on heel pocket of boot"sanded down along where i thought tendon was feeling pressure.

Thanks
PAT