• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Speed Hiking

highpeaksdrifter

I see the first annual speed hiking competition was held at Sugarbush on Aug. 11th. Anyone here enter?

What do you think of this new twist on hiking? Is it a legit endeavor with it’s own rewards or an unfortunate off shoot of our no time to “stop and smell the roses” culture?

wa-loaf

I see the first annual speed hiking competition was held at Sugarbush on Aug. 11th. Anyone here enter?

What do you think of this new twist on hiking? Is it a legit endeavor with it’s own rewards or an unfortunate off shoot of our no time to “stop and smell the roses” culture?

Isn't that called trail running? :lol:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Guess the same question could be asked of running versus walking. I don't need to go slow or stop frequently to enjoy the beauty around me and I often have profound moments of contentedness hiking non-stop through an open glade in the forest. Some people hike slower than me and some hiker faster. And a few hike much faster. I think that is cool.

Mike P.

That's why we hike our own hike, our pace, our places.

Bergamo

Living in a fast paced world, I don't see why anyone wants to set records blowing through the outdoors. Then again, everyone is different.

LongStep

i can understand a fast pace for people with time restrictions but when it comes to my adventures i never put a time limit on one. Thats just me though

cbcbd

For some people .5mph is boring... for others 1mph is boring... others 2mph... others 3mph... others 4mph... and so on.

Has nothing to do with putting time limits or rushing through terrain - it's just people doing what they enjoy doing.
To me it would be more of a challenge to hike at a 1mph pace and stopping every hour for a 30 minute break than it would be to try to hike at a 3mph pace with 5 minute breaks every hour.

LongStep

For some people .5mph is boring... for others 1mph is boring... others 2mph... others 3mph... others 4mph... and so on.

Has nothing to do with putting time limits or rushing through terrain - it's just people doing what they enjoy doing.
To me it would be more of a challenge to hike at a 1mph pace and stopping every hour for a 30 minute break than it would be to try to hike at a 3mph pace with 5 minute breaks every hour.

Yea I get what you’re saying but for me it’s not about being bored in the woods. I head to the woods for a break from the every day working world, to appreciate nature and to explore in the peace and quiet. Like you said though different strokes for different folks.