• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Quiver Pics

koreshot

I am such a gear ho and a total geek, but I figured at least one or two people would find the following pictures interesting. I went a little past the usual ski pictures and tried to make them pseudo educational by doing some tip length, tail length, camber and tip profile comparison shots.

The skis from left to right:
Dynastar Legend 8000 - 178cm
Rossignol B3 - 184cm
PM Gear Bro Model - 188cm
Atomic Powder Plus - 180cm
Elan M1111 - 184cm
All skis are mounted on the manufacturer recommended line.

DSCN1104.JPG

Funny how each manufacturer has their own scale for length measurement. The 184cm M1111 and the 180cm Pow+ are virtually identical in overall length. Nevermind that the Elans just dwarf the Pow+ in the girth department, these things are complete beasts and reasonably light for their size. The rest of the sizes seem to make sense. The 178 8000s seem kinda close to the Pow+ but I think the big boys have a much longer running length.

Moving on to the tip length comparison. All skis were lined up by boot sole center.
DSCN1105.JPG

Gotta love how the Elans, which are considerably shorter overall than the Bros have so much more tip. The B3 and the Elan are both 184cm, yet the Elan seems to have a good 6cm of tip advantage, if not more. I think the mounting point on these things are way too far back. The next picture confirms this. Another interesting thing is the long tip on the Dynastars - in a 178cm length they have almost as much tip as the 184 B3s. No wonder river likes the old +1.5cm mounting position.

Tail length comparison. Skis still lined up by boot sole center.
DSCN1106.JPG

This picture confirms what we saw in the tip shot. The Elan seems way way too far back at factory line. The Bros are pretty far forward with a long tail which makes for a very nice platform, these things feel solid on landings. The Pow+ has way more tip than tail but it stays within reason, the shorter tails help the ski sink in the back and keep the tips up, but Elan seems to have taken that idea overboard.

Another shot with the tip and tail combo for better veiwing:
DSCN1110.JPG

And before anyone says anything, my shirt just happened to bunch up like that. I love my skis, but I don't LOVE my skis.

Camber and tip profile comparison:
DSCN1111.JPG

The Bros win the excessive camber competition. Followed closely by the other two skis that don't need that much camber, the Pow+ and the M1111. Powder and camber don't play well together so I don't understand why my quiver seems to exhibit this trend. The Bros and B3 are tied in first place for the longest rise in tip, followed by the M1111, the 8000 and the Pow+ (in that order). I haven't skied the B3s yet, just picked them up on sierra during that $200 sale. I was not very excited to get them but the price was right, but after fondling them I would be willing to bet that these skis will float MUCH better than their dimmensions indicate. The soft, long tip, the long rise (rocker if that applies here), the powder profile of the tip along with low camber will do the trick. I would expect these skis to float about as well as a ski 10mm fatter under foot. I could be completely wrong though - wouldn't be the first time either.

I also have no plans of mounting up and using the M1111, they have already been sold. I included them in there for educational purposes - plus they make me look more core. :)

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Good God man, are you sure those Elan's aren't meant to be water skis?

You are a gear ho, but that's cool. I like skiing next to someone who draws attention to their skis... since it draws attention from the way I'm tumbling down the hill next to you. :dunce:

Tough to figure out from your quiver what type of skiing you like best. ;)

BTW, nice purple shorts, lol.

koreshot

Yes. I am a gear ho, although those Elans are already sold. So I only have 4 pairs of skis, not 5.

Those purple shorts are actually my underwear from the Banana Republic Factory Outlet. The wife thinks they are hot, so there! I am thinking about trying some Victoria's Secret stuff out next, I think they still have a mens line.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Yes. I am a gear ho, although those Elans are already sold. So I only have 4 pairs of skis, not 5.

Those purple shorts are actually my underwear from the Banana Republic Factory Outlet. The wife thinks they are hot, so there! I am thinking about trying some Victoria's Secret stuff out next, I think they still have a mens line.

Well, I suppose anything would look hot as long as it's covering up those hairy sasquatch legs. :D

How much sidecut do the Bro's have?

Greg

Staff member
2006-07 Family Quiver

Last season's quiver:

IMG_2386.jpg

I'll post a new pic once it's fully updated for this season. My daughter's Atomics were season rentals, the Axis Pros were only skied once and my wife's K2s will be upgraded for this season. I will definitely be adding bump skis to the line-up and still would like to find a pair of Legend 8000s.

wa-loaf

Last season's quiver:

IMG_2386.jpg

I'll post a new pic once it's fully updated for this season. My daughter's Atomics were season rentals, the Axis Pros were only skied once and my wife's K2s will be upgraded for this season. I will definitely be adding bump skis to the line-up and still would like to find a pair of Legend 8000s.

Your wife has the same skis as my wife. :-o

Hawkshot99

I will take one this weekend.

Sorry for the blurry pics, dont know why they are like that.
Storage for my "good" skis
SkiQuiver2.gif

Quiver shot
K2 Public Enemy/Axial Scratch-Rossi Mutix R11/Axial 140-K2 Axis/Marker M1000
Skiquiver.gif

Mass binding shot
Skiquiver3.gif

Binding shot: K2 Public Enemy/Axial Scratch
Skiquiver4.gif

Binding shot: Rossi Mutix R11/Axial 140
Skiquiver5.gif

Binding shot: K2 Axis/Marker M1000
Skiquiver6.gif

All the skis are lots of fun. The K2 PE's were my everyday ski, which I loved, but will be replacing with a pair of Line Prophet 90's just for a change. The Rossi's are super fast and have never gotten unstable no matter how hard they are pushed. I am only keeping them for racing, or else I would sell them as they make me ski way to fast. The K2 Axis are my basic rock skis that I got dirt cheap. $30 for the skis and the bindings were free lying around the shop. Nothing special ski, but I can beat the crap out of them and not care.

Last edited:

Terry

This is my wifes and mine collection. My old Solomon Xscreams which are my rock skis, my old 6stars that I am going to keep for the race course, my new Z9 rossis, my wifes old rossi cobras, and her 5star Volkls.

Last edited:

roark

OK, finally getting around to this. koreshot's center relative to tips/tails pics had me intrigued.

176 Elan M666, 170 Elan RipSticks, 167 Black Diamond Ethic, 178 Rossignol B4, ? (I'm too lazy to measure) Volant SuperKarve
P1010003.JPG

Center
P1010005.JPG

Tails
P1010004.JPG

Tips
P1010006.JPG

roark

It's interesting how far back the mounting line is on the BDs relative to the others, especially the Rossis. The mount line seems pretty far forward on the Rossis, given how fat they are (relatively speaking, of course). The elan tips nearly match, yet there is less tail on the RipStick (line is further back - althought the actual running surface is similar thanks to the turned up tail of the 666). The RipStick has the integrated binding which I currently have at the recommended setting, I might play with it a bit to move it a little forward.

I've got some Rossi/Looks to mount on the Rossis, think I'll go right on the line. The BD's have Freeride +'s waiting to be mounted. I think I'll go at least +1 cm after this comparision.

koreshot

Interesting indeed, the shorter BDs are right up there in tip profile with the B4, a powder ski. The B3 compared very favorably to the rest of the skis in my quiver when it came to tip length, profile, etc... I wonder if the B3/B4 are identical with the B4s just being wider.

The tip profile and slower rise on the B4 probably still makes it a better floater than the BD.

I am guessing you picked up the B4s on sierra as I did with the B3s?

Comparing the tip/tail of the Ripstick to the M666 (a ski that favors higher speeds) makes me think that the Ripsticks are all about GS style turns, even in a 170.

Are you taking requests for underwear? If so, my vote goes for anything edible.

roark

Interesting indeed, the shorter BDs are right up there in tip profile with the B4, a powder ski. The B3 compared very favorably to the rest of the skis in my quiver when it came to tip length, profile, etc... I wonder if the B3/B4 are identical with the B4s just being wider.

The tip profile and slower rise on the B4 probably still makes it a better floater than the BD.

I am guessing you picked up the B4s on sierra as I did with the B3s?

Comparing the tip/tail of the Ripstick to the M666 (a ski that favors higher speeds) makes me think that the Ripsticks are all about GS style turns, even in a 170.

The additional 15mm underfoot on the B4 probably won't hurt the floatation for the B4 relative to the BD either. :wink:

Yup, got the B4's from sierrasnowboard. Couldn't resist at that price. :cool:

The RipSticks have a pretty agressive sidecut (109-66-98) they are all about turning - prefer to be ripping railroad tracks but are quick enough edge to edge to make some shorter radius turns. Turn radius is something around 14 IIRC.

Man am I ever jonesing for winter.

wa-loaf

The RipSticks have a pretty agressive sidecut (109-66-98) they are all about turning - prefer to be ripping railroad tracks but are quick enough edge to edge to make some shorter radius turns. Turn radius is something around 14 IIRC.

I got my Ripsticks (178s) last year without demoing them because they were really cheap. I couldn't be more happy with them. I use them for racing and as my all round ski. Although GS in nature they can really rip the short turns when needed and the narrow waist makes them pretty easy to handle in the bumps. It's too bad they discontinued them.

roark

I got my Ripsticks (178s) last year without demoing them because they were really cheap. I couldn't be more happy with them. I use them for racing and as my all round ski. Although GS in nature they can really rip the short turns when needed and the narrow waist makes them pretty easy to handle in the bumps. It's too bad they discontinued them.
Yup, guess there are not too many people buying skis with a 66 waist unless they are specifically for racing. For 'typical' EC conditions they are ideal.