• No, but I'm going to get one

3 5.88%
  • No, because I'm waiting for the price to come down more

9 17.65%
  • No, and I have no intention of getting one

12 23.53%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Samsung 42"
    Time Warner Cable HDTV Tuner with HD DVR (HDMI Output)
    PS3 with Blue Ray player (HDMI Output) : I rent the Blue Ray movies through Netflix. The difference is amazing.

~Rich~

We have a 42 inch Samsung HD plasma in the living room...the thing is like a heater it gets so hot, and a 46 inch Philips HD in the basement. They both are great for football and HD skiing flicks.
    Dave
    11/12 Season 13
    12/13 Season 17
    13/14 Season 22
    14/15 Season 30
    15/16 Season 24
    16/17 Season 32

I own 2...
    A 32" and 42" - both Sharp Aquos... Going to mount the 42" on the wall...

I've turned the corner on HD... I have problems watching anything that isn't...
    "Sometimes the rock n roll life is not all rainbows & fairy dust..." - Fake Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post

I've turned the corner on HD... I have problems watching anything that isn't...
    Quite true. I'll surf through my HD channels first THEN go to non-HD channels only IF there is nothing of interest on the HD channels. Discovery HD and Mojo usually have something good on it though. I hope The History Channel steps up to the HD plate soon.
    ~Rich~

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Evil television...the bane of society. Big brother's way of controlling the masses and watching us too.

A little paranoid? When it comes to TV, yes I am.

My boss got new internet service here at work...4 cable boxes came with the deal. Sort of like free cocaine when you buy a bag of heroin.

Now there's a TV in the lunch room. And instead of the lively chatter we used to have in there, now I get to see a bunch of drooling zombies watching the intelligence sucking box.

Evil I tell you.
    I tend to agree with you, unfortunately I'm already hooked. I hate that I sit in front of it like a zombie all the time when I'm home, even when there's stuff to do. There should be a program like AA for TV addicts...

That said I have better things to spend my limited income on than HDTVs and such stuff. My 27" Sony Vega from 6 years ago is just fine to watch basic cable and movies on. Although I'm sure that if I had more disposable income I'd have more of these toys.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Evil television...the bane of society. Big brother's way of controlling the masses and watching us too.

A little paranoid? When it comes to TV, yes I am.

My boss got new internet service here at work...4 cable boxes came with the deal. Sort of like free cocaine when you buy a bag of heroin.

Now there's a TV in the lunch room. And instead of the lively chatter we used to have in there, now I get to see a bunch of drooling zombies watching the intelligence sucking box.

Evil I tell you.
    I do agree with your statement about television being evil and the bane of society but for different reasons. Presently, I think most TV is garbage. The only channels I watch these days are TLC, Discovery, History, HGTV, National Geographic, Food Network, and Lifetime... Just kidding about Lifetime. Give me some knowledge and facts and I can watch all day. That is when the weather stinks, its not ski season, or in the evenings.
    '04-'05 - 2 days
    '05-'06 - 11 days
    '06-'07 - 20 days
    '07-'08 - 19 days
    '08 - '09 - 23 days
    '09 - '10 - 16 days
    '10 - '11 - 12 days
    '11 - '12 - 6 days
    Lifetime Total - 109

Namaste you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Until then, the HD channels are great and it's nice to take full advantage of the set. SD on an HDTV is shit, especially with the wide-screen distortion and all that. I can't wait until HD is the norm.
    You should be able to change it so that SD pictures don't take up the whole screen. You'll have black bars on the sides, but it's still better than watching a distorted picture IMHO. It drives me nuts when I go over my in-laws where they always seem to be watching SD programming stretched to fit their widescreen TV...
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    You should be able to change it so that SD pictures don't take up the whole screen. You'll have black bars on the sides, but it's still better than watching a distorted picture IMHO. It drives me nuts when I go over my in-laws where they always seem to be watching SD programming stretched to fit their widescreen TV...
    My TV has a "wide zoom" display mode that does less stretching...I usually don't notice the loss of picture on the top and bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    My TV has a "wide zoom" display mode that does less stretching...I usually don't notice the loss of picture on the top and bottom.
    Oh yeah. I can do that (letterboxing), but one concern is screen burn-in and plasmas were at one time susceptible to that. I think the newer generations are less prone to it though. Also letterboxing SD results in the same size as a 36" TV. I bought a 42" and I want to view the picture in the whole screen, dammit!

Mine has zoom too, but losing captions and stuff it annoying. We use a "Just" mode on our SD channels which stretches more on the ends and less in the center. Still, everyone looks a bit pudgy, but you get used to it. It's interesting when you switch to the HD channel and everyone looks weird and skinny at first.
    I ski double black diamonds.

I've helped some people out who complain about a 4:3 picture defaulting to widescreen. It's usually the cable box aspect output setting. You can keep the TV setting at 16:9 and the 4:3 channels will now have the bars without the default-distorting setting.
    ~Rich~

Thread Information