• No, but I'm going to get one

3 5.88%
  • No, because I'm waiting for the price to come down more

9 17.65%
  • No, and I have no intention of getting one

12 23.53%
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Grassi21 View Post
    I do agree with your statement about television being evil and the bane of society but for different reasons. Presently, I think most TV is garbage. The only channels I watch these days are TLC, Discovery, History, HGTV, National Geographic, Food Network, and Lifetime... Just kidding about Lifetime. Give me some knowledge and facts and I can watch all day. That is when the weather stinks, its not ski season, or in the evenings.
    There's something about the way TV heads throw around the inches.

Something's going on there with the measurement thing.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    I tend to agree with you, unfortunately I'm already hooked.
    Big brother loves you.

You need a bigger TV...and some beer.

Quote Originally Posted by OldsnowboarderME View Post
    TV is what you make it.
    Indeed true...and there is some good TV. What's not good you just turn off. I just don't watch much. So all the new technology is lost on me.

I don't really see a big difference with these new expensive TV's. But that's just me because I don't care all that much about the medium. I have a friend who spent the better part of an evening trying to educate and convince me that his new HD had the best picture you can get from a TV. And I kept trying to discreetly and nicely tell him I just didn't care. That to me spending $2000 on a TV is pointless.

He still thinks I must have vision problems.

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Indeed true...and there is some good TV. What's not good you just turn off. I just don't watch much. So all the new technology is lost on me.

I don't really see a big difference with these new expensive TV's. But that's just me because I don't care all that much about the medium. I have a friend who spent the better part of an evening trying to educate and convince me that his new HD had the best picture you can get from a TV. And I kept trying to discreetly and nicely tell him I just didn't care. That to me spending $2000 on a TV is pointless.

He still thinks I must have vision problems.
    Not caring is one thing, but it's pretty hard to not see and appreciate the clarity of an HD broadcast. You're an avid sports fan, Jim. You should watch a game in HD. That might change your mind. I'm about as far from a baseball fan as they come, but I often find myself watching games in HD just because they look so good. For big time sports fans, HD is awesome and most of the other programming (Discovery, Mojo, Voom, etc.) is pretty good.
    I ski double black diamonds.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Not caring is one thing, but it's pretty hard to not see and appreciate the clarity of an HD broadcast. You're an avid sports fan, Jim. You should watch a game in HD. That might change your mind. I'm about as far from a baseball fan as they come, but I often find myself watching games in HD just because they look so good. For big time sports fans, HD is awesome and most of the other programming (Discovery, Mojo, Voom, etc.) is pretty good.
    I like sports.

But I'm just as happy listening to a game on a radio while I'm out fishing as sitting in front of a boob tube.

Which is a bad name for it here in America since you never see any on it...if you did, I might care more about HD.

Greg, honestly, I can tell a ski I like from one I don't but I just don't see the big difference between HD and plain old TV. Let's put it this way...I don't see a difference that's going to make me jump up and want to spend thousands to get it. It's hard to appreciate something if you don't care about it.

I like sports.

But I'm just as happy listening to a game on a radio while I'm out fishing as sitting in front of a boob tube.

Which is a bad name for it here in America since you never see any on it...if you did, I might care more about HD.

Greg, honestly, I can tell a ski I like from one I don't but I just don't see the big difference between HD and plain old TV. Let's put it this way...I don't see a difference that's going to make me jump up and want to spend thousands to get it. It's hard to appreciate something if you don't care about it.
    Fair enough. I see where you're coming from. I too am not a big TV watcher. Maybe an hour or two before bed to unwind. Nonetheless, I still think there is a huge difference between HD and SD...
    I ski double black diamonds.

It was the domino effect for me. Got the HDV camera, which meant a HDTV set, HDV capable PC, and HDV editing software. Worth every penny when I play one of my hang gliding videos on it. Here's a torrent for one:

http://videos.tirnalong.com:6969/tor...7817dc10de19fd

I have a normal 27" TV and am still waiting for the prices to come down. Once I see a 42" 1080i set with a picture I enjoy that I can get mounted on the wall with warranty for under $1000, I'll jump in, but until then I'll be fine with wath I have. After watching my parents pay upwards of 4 g's on a 32" Plasma 5 years ago and seeing a comparable TV go for $900 today, I'm still waiting. I'm guessing this will happen by January. I've already seen 42" 1080i sets for a grand, so figuring the wall mount and warranty run about $300, it's not too far away.

When is it that all TV broadcasts are required to switch over to the HD signal?

There's something about the way TV heads throw around the inches.

Something's going on there with the measurement thing.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
    well... size matters... otherwise I'd just watch TV on my IPOD...
    "Sometimes the rock n roll life is not all rainbows & fairy dust..." - Fake Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    I've already seen 42" 1080i sets for a grand, so figuring the wall mount and warranty run about $300, it's not too far away.
    Don't let them talk you into getting those expensive monster cables. It's a digital signal...any decent HDMI cable will do.
    ~Rich~

Thread Information