• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you own an HD TV

Do you own an HD TV?

• Yes

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • No, but I'm going to get one

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • No, because I'm waiting for the price to come down more

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • No, and I have no intention of getting one

Votes: 13 25.0%

• Total voters

mlctvt

Don't buy a smart TV , they aren't smart. Many don't even have access to some major streaming services like Amazon. Or their agreements change and what they have today they might not have in a year or two. Just get the latest Roku, they have agreements with almost ever service, over 4500 in all.

Edd

Agree with comments above. The interfaces on the Apple TV, Roku, and others blow away the smart TVs, the TCL Roku TVs being a probable exception.

Jully

Agree with comments above. The interfaces on the Apple TV, Roku, and others blow away the smart TVs, the TCL Roku TVs being a probable exception.

That's what I thought. Didn't want to harp on something I had never really tried though!

JimG.

Staff member
This is pretty funny.

I had not seen this thread yet, but reading the earlier statements, I wonder what their stance is now. We have jumped up in size three times to a 55 inch and now are looking at going to 65. In fact, you can get a 65 inch Smart TV 4K for easily less than a thousand - I found some for $599. Now if you pay more it is not because of size and video quality but because of added features like web access, network capable, pre-installed software, lots of ports etc.

I assume that everyone has 2 or 3 these days!

Love to watch HD Youtube skiing movie - lots of full length stuff there now. Watch Claim it is good and the beginning pretty funny. My TV is not Smart so I use Chromecast.

What's funny is that even though I now own an HD, it's only because the old boob tube blew up.

If I had my way there would be no TV here but the rest of the family would revolt. There is nothing on TV that interests me and that feeling only grows as time passes.

Don't participate in "social" media either. I have real people to interact with and I have no need for a soapbox.

benski

What's funny is that even though I now own an HD, it's only because the old boob tube blew up.

If I had my way there would be no TV here but the rest of the family would revolt. There is nothing on TV that interests me and that feeling only grows as time passes.

Don't participate in "social" media either. I have real people to interact with and I have no need for a soapbox.

Same. I am about to move in for the semester to a place with no TV and don't care. I would say a lot of college students don't have one. I only had one my first two years of college becouse I needed it for free cable with a free 19 inch TV.

dlague

Are we the real people?

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app

JimG.

Staff member
Same. I am about to move in for the semester to a place with no TV and don't care. I would say a lot of college students don't have one. I only had one my first two years of college becouse I needed it for free cable with a free 19 inch TV.

My 2 oldest boys (one just graduated, the other in his senior year) have HD but not for TV. Those are for gaming. If they watch TV it's through Netflix.

JimG.

Staff member
Yes. The original social media.

I guess.

My definition is more along the lines of Facebook/twitter/snapchat etc. or any dating site.

A great example of the dumbness that afflicts people who use those sites is the recent lawsuit Lindsey Vonn filed regarding the nude photos someone hacked from her social media accounts. She either did that on purpose for the publicity or she is dumber than a post for putting nude photos where they can obviously be hacked.

Pretty slick segue back to skiing huh?

JimG.

Staff member
I much prefer this medium as a social media platform over others out there like FB, Instagram nd the like.

And like you we have met other like minded folk.

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app

I would agree but since I've never used other social media I'm a poor judge.

To this dinosaur social implies physical presence.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I guess.

My definition is more along the lines of Facebook/twitter/snapchat etc. or any dating site.

A great example of the dumbness that afflicts people who use those sites is the recent lawsuit Lindsey Vonn filed regarding the nude photos someone hacked from her social media accounts. She either did that on purpose for the publicity or she is dumber than a post for putting nude photos where they can obviously be hacked.

Pretty slick segue back to skiing huh?
Pretty certain those Vonn photos and those of other celebrities were hacked directly from their cloud storage from their phones and social media had nothing to do with it.

It's a catch-22 situation. I have tons of photos of skiing, my son and other things/events saved directly on my phone, but they are all backed up on the cloud service that comes with my Verizon account. That's great if I break my phone as I won't lose those pictures, but it also means anyone with hacking skills can access those photos.

Had she deleted the photos from her cloud storage, hackers wouldn't have been able to acquire them. I periodically delete stuff from my cloud storage when it's getting full and I get a message that I need to buy more storage. Otherwise I wouldn't think of doing so.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

benski

Pretty certain those Vonn photos and those of other celebrities were hacked directly from their cloud storage from their phones and social media had nothing to do with it.

It's a catch-22 situation. I have tons of photos of skiing, my son and other things/events saved directly on my phone, but they are all backed up on the cloud service that comes with my Verizon account. That's great if I break my phone as I won't lose those pictures, but it also means anyone with hacking skills can access those photos.

Had she deleted the photos from her cloud storage, hackers wouldn't have been able to acquire them. I periodically delete stuff from my cloud storage when it's getting full and I get a message that I need to buy more storage. Otherwise I wouldn't think of doing so.

Yeah but who wants to steal your photos. They only steal these celebrities photos because the Daily Mail pays to publish them. I guess if they are inappropriate hackers could use them as blackmail.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm not suggesting anyone has any interest in my own photos. I was simply stating social media had nothing to do with her photos getting hacked.

Very well could be an interesting financial strategy.

1. Take newdz including pictures of famous golfer boyfriend
2. Leave them on the cloud
3. Wait for them to be hacked and published
4. Sue and profit

She may end up making more money off of this than all of her endorsements.

benski

I'm not suggesting anyone has any interest in my own photos. I was simply stating social media had nothing to do with her photos getting hacked.

Very well could be an interesting financial strategy.

1. Take newdz including pictures of famous golfer boyfriend
2. Leave them on the cloud
3. Wait for them to be hacked and published
4. Sue and profit

She may end up making more money off of this than all of her endorsements.

No such thing of bad publicity either.

JimG.

Staff member

See my post below.

I hear you and appreciate the tech update but it's all semantics to me. I don't have any nude pics of me but I wouldn't put them in a place hackers could get at them. But some celebs make a living doing that I guess. Read Hilton or Kardashian.

deadheadskier

Staff member
See my post below.

I hear you and appreciate the tech update but it's all semantics to me. I don't have any nude pics of me but I wouldn't put them in a place hackers could get at them. But some celebs make a living doing that I guess. Read Hilton or Kardashian.

I don't have any nude photos of myself either. I guess what I'm saying is most people don't even realize most digital storage nowadays is hackable. Literally everything we do involving computers is connected to the rest of the world and if people want that information and have the skill, they can get it.

Maybe for her next boyfriend, Lindsey will snap Polaroids and pop them in an album for him.