• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you own an HD TV

Do you own an HD TV?

• Yes

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • No, but I'm going to get one

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • No, because I'm waiting for the price to come down more

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • No, and I have no intention of getting one

Votes: 13 25.0%

• Total voters

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
At home I have a regular ol' 32" TV. It's true that the ball game isn't as crisp as on HD, but I've got other things to spend $2000 on. It's just a question of priorities. I don't think badly of people who spend that kind of money on TV. It must be important to them.
I have to agree with this. While those HDTVs are beautiful and I drool over them, there are more important things we need right now. It's scary to think that my first several cars cost less than these TVs, though. ;)

ctenidae

It's just a question of priorities. I don't think badly of people who spend that kind of money on TV. It must be important to them.

We went with the LCD because our old TV died, and since it was a big-assed console, nothing would fit in its space, and we didn't have room for a new stand etc. In our new place now, the TV looks great on the wall. Not that I've had any time to watch it since we moved in.

I have a 20" Magnavox that was 150 bucks from Target..it's not a plasma but the screen is flat..I don't waste my money on Electronics..only on skiing, booze, and food. My parents have three large flat screens at their new house but they're ballers..I think they were each more than $1,000..

Paul

52" Mitsubishi DLP. Motherboard shat the bed on Aug. 5th.

I'm going through withdrawl waiting for it to come-in...

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I have to say that after spending the afternoon at my parents' house (with their Big Screen HDTV, not sure what kind just that it's a Toshiba, on all day) that I'm getting pulled into the dark side. ;) HD nature programs are awesome! Of course, that would require a new tv and extended cable... no $$$ for that. But it's nice to dream....

deadheadskier

Staff member
well, I couldn't hold out any longer. Got a sweet deal on a 42" Panasonic Plasma on Friday, so I bit. What a difference

deadheadskier

Staff member
Nice! Panny's are a great value.

I thought so. Price was $1150. I was suprised they didn't try and talk me into a more expensive option. All I said was I was looking for something in the 37-42" range that was great for sports and non-HD channels as I still watch quite a few of them. There were TV's of that size nearly twice the price, but comparing them all side by side, none really struck me as being much better if at all than the Panasonic, so I went with it.

WWF-VT

Normal 20" Mitsubishi TV that's about 15 years old. No cable - "rabbit ears" and because we live in the Boston suburbs we get 10 channel options. TV not a big priority

skiNEwhere

Bump. Funny how 1080p is now becoming "old" technology.

I'm thinking of buying a 4k TV. Prices have seemed to drop into the affordable range, but I'd like to hear what people think of their own 4k TV's before I pull the trigger. These curved TV's seem to be all the rage as well now, how do those of you who have one like them so far?

Puck it

Bump. Funny how 1080p is now becoming "old" technology.

I'm thinking of buying a 4k TV. Prices have seemed to drop into the affordable range, but I'd like to hear what people think of their own 4k TV's before I pull the trigger. These curved TV's seem to be all the rage as well now, how do those of you who have one like them so far?
They awesome when you watch in 4K. Cable with the upscaling is definitely better but cable does not have the refresh rate and seems a little worse with the 4K. Not terrible but I notice it no one else does. We have Samsung 50 and curve 65. I paid $800 for the 50 just before Xmas and the 65 was bought a year ago and the 75" is the same price now. The 65 came with preloaded movies and documentaries on a hard drive all in 4K. They are amazing to watch. Netflix and Amazon prime stream in 4K.

delco714

65" 3d Samsung led from 10/2013. Matching vacuum tubes surround sound

ctenidae

Reading the comments from less than ten years ago is interesting. Incredible how fast technology changes, and becomes commonplace. Most amazing, we still have, and use, the Aquos, ten years later. Not much gets built that will anymore.

Haven't pulled the trigger on 4K yet. No need to replace anything, and for awhile I was concerned it would be a leapfrogged technology, quickly replaced by something else. Still not a whole lot of programming available, maybe Hololens becomes the next standard instead.

prsboogie

Bought a 58" Samsung Plasma two years ago and to this date I haven't seen a picture out there that has made me regret the purchase. Granted once the 4K tech is wide spread, that will be a different story. But for now, I am completely satisfied!

yeggous

I've been thinking about upgrading but am waiting for 4K content to catch up. I have a six year old Samsung 55" LED. It is super thin, light weight, and has built-in apps for Netflix, HBO, etc. But it is not 4K.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

delco714

Bought a 58" Samsung Plasma two years ago and to this date I haven't seen a picture out there that has made me regret the purchase. Granted once the 4K tech is wide spread, that will be a different story. But for now, I am completely satisfied!
We got 4k camera and screens in the OR for laparoscopic surgery.. The vendors weren't happy when I said there's not much difference. Especially on a small 30" screen.

prsboogie

We got 4k camera and screens in the OR for laparoscopic surgery.. The vendors weren't happy when I said there's not much difference. Especially on a small 30" screen.

That's great, I'm sure he or she wasn't!!