• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you own an HD TV

Do you own an HD TV?

• Yes

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • No, but I'm going to get one

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • No, because I'm waiting for the price to come down more

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • No, and I have no intention of getting one

Votes: 13 25.0%

• Total voters

SkiFanE

Reading the comments from less than ten years ago is interesting. Incredible how fast technology changes, and becomes commonplace. Most amazing, we still have, and use, the Aquos, ten years later. Not much gets built that will anymore.

Haven't pulled the trigger on 4K yet. No need to replace anything, and for awhile I was concerned it would be a leapfrogged technology, quickly replaced by something else. Still not a whole lot of programming available, maybe Hololens becomes the next standard instead.

so funny - we have two Aquos - thinking about 8 & 6 years old. Have no idea why I'd need anything new. Our huge analog TV just shit the bed - it was our bedroom TV, so doing without for now. See how much I miss it - we don't even use cable TV, so just antennae anyway. But at least with new TV I can stream Netflix. We don't have enough disposable income at the moment to care about swapping out for "newer"- we spend too much on our ski habit (and college tuition). We've got HD baby - wait til the next fad that basically forces us to buy new.

Geoff

I was still tube TV back in 2007. I've had a couple of 50" Panasonic plasma panels since 2010.

I don't see the point in a 4K 65" panel. When the price drops on 80"+ panels, I'll probably ditch all my electronics and start over. Web control over the AV receiver and Blu Ray player would be nice

ctenidae

Guessing Blue Ray players aren't long for this world

One of ours has stopped playing BluRay discs. Plays regular DVDs fine, oddly. Only reason for them in my mind is for the kids, but that's pretty thin, as it would be easier (and more portable) to download from Amazon.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've got a number of Concert Blueray discs I regularly enjoy. Some are imported and likely not available on Netflix

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I checked 'waiting for the price to come down' but that's only partially right. For our small living room our 29" CRT is still okay. I'm really just waiting for it to die. It's almost 12 years old. Anyone know the life expectancy on these?

Puck it

I checked 'waiting for the price to come down' but that's only partially right. For our small living room our 29" CRT is still okay. I'm really just waiting for it to die. It's almost 12 years old. Anyone know the life expectancy on these?
You can get a 32" 1080P LCD for under $150 now.

delco714

Yeah..forever. It's THAT type of technology

ctenidae

Anyone know the life expectancy on these?

Depends on the result of a complicated formula involving how much you want a new TV, your desire to stick to your philosophical guns, your income tax refund, and the feasibility and believability of an across-the-kitchen-accidental-wounded-soldier-bottle-toss. Accuracy counts.

In short, the more you want it to die, the longer it will last.

Funky_Catskills

I still have one of the Aquos's from 2006..
It's kicking ass...

My ex has the other... I hope it broke...

xwhaler

Main TV is a Samsung 46" LCD purchased for $1200 approx 8 yrs ago. LEDs at the time were just coming into play and the same TV was going to be $600+ more.

I don't have any real reason to upgrade it. Samsung makes nice TVs then and now

I pair it with a blu Ray player for nice quality movie watching