• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you own an HD TV

Do you own an HD TV?

• Yes

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • No, but I'm going to get one

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • No, because I'm waiting for the price to come down more

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • No, and I have no intention of getting one

Votes: 13 25.0%

• Total voters

JimG.

Staff member
I do agree with your statement about television being evil and the bane of society but for different reasons. Presently, I think most TV is garbage. The only channels I watch these days are TLC, Discovery, History, HGTV, National Geographic, Food Network, and Lifetime... Just kidding about Lifetime. Give me some knowledge and facts and I can watch all day. That is when the weather stinks, its not ski season, or in the evenings.

There's something about the way TV heads throw around the inches.

Something's going on there with the measurement thing.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

JimG.

Staff member
TV is what you make it.

Indeed true...and there is some good TV. What's not good you just turn off. I just don't watch much. So all the new technology is lost on me.

I don't really see a big difference with these new expensive TV's. But that's just me because I don't care all that much about the medium. I have a friend who spent the better part of an evening trying to educate and convince me that his new HD had the best picture you can get from a TV. And I kept trying to discreetly and nicely tell him I just didn't care. That to me spending $2000 on a TV is pointless.

He still thinks I must have vision problems.

Greg

Staff member
Indeed true...and there is some good TV. What's not good you just turn off. I just don't watch much. So all the new technology is lost on me.

I don't really see a big difference with these new expensive TV's. But that's just me because I don't care all that much about the medium. I have a friend who spent the better part of an evening trying to educate and convince me that his new HD had the best picture you can get from a TV. And I kept trying to discreetly and nicely tell him I just didn't care. That to me spending $2000 on a TV is pointless.

He still thinks I must have vision problems.

Not caring is one thing, but it's pretty hard to not see and appreciate the clarity of an HD broadcast. You're an avid sports fan, Jim. You should watch a game in HD. That might change your mind. I'm about as far from a baseball fan as they come, but I often find myself watching games in HD just because they look so good. For big time sports fans, HD is awesome and most of the other programming (Discovery, Mojo, Voom, etc.) is pretty good.

JimG.

Staff member
Not caring is one thing, but it's pretty hard to not see and appreciate the clarity of an HD broadcast. You're an avid sports fan, Jim. You should watch a game in HD. That might change your mind. I'm about as far from a baseball fan as they come, but I often find myself watching games in HD just because they look so good. For big time sports fans, HD is awesome and most of the other programming (Discovery, Mojo, Voom, etc.) is pretty good.

I like sports.

But I'm just as happy listening to a game on a radio while I'm out fishing as sitting in front of a boob tube.

Which is a bad name for it here in America since you never see any on it...if you did, I might care more about HD.

Greg, honestly, I can tell a ski I like from one I don't but I just don't see the big difference between HD and plain old TV. Let's put it this way...I don't see a difference that's going to make me jump up and want to spend thousands to get it. It's hard to appreciate something if you don't care about it.

Greg

Staff member
I like sports.

But I'm just as happy listening to a game on a radio while I'm out fishing as sitting in front of a boob tube.

Which is a bad name for it here in America since you never see any on it...if you did, I might care more about HD.

Greg, honestly, I can tell a ski I like from one I don't but I just don't see the big difference between HD and plain old TV. Let's put it this way...I don't see a difference that's going to make me jump up and want to spend thousands to get it. It's hard to appreciate something if you don't care about it.

Fair enough. I see where you're coming from. I too am not a big TV watcher. Maybe an hour or two before bed to unwind. Nonetheless, I still think there is a huge difference between HD and SD...

deadheadskier

Staff member
I have a normal 27" TV and am still waiting for the prices to come down. Once I see a 42" 1080i set with a picture I enjoy that I can get mounted on the wall with warranty for under $1000, I'll jump in, but until then I'll be fine with wath I have. After watching my parents pay upwards of 4 g's on a 32" Plasma 5 years ago and seeing a comparable TV go for $900 today, I'm still waiting. I'm guessing this will happen by January. I've already seen 42" 1080i sets for a grand, so figuring the wall mount and warranty run about $300, it's not too far away.

When is it that all TV broadcasts are required to switch over to the HD signal?

dmc

There's something about the way TV heads throw around the inches.

Something's going on there with the measurement thing.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

well... size matters... otherwise I'd just watch TV on my IPOD...

awf170

img.jpg

I am far too cheap to buy cable. (Also, I love GIS)

ctenidae

Not an HD signal, just a digital one. I think the conversion started in June. Now it's an all-out tag team naked Jell-o wrestling match for who gets to do what with the analog spectrum.

I have two HD TVs, but only one HD cable box. One's a 36" Aquos, not sure what the little one is. It was flat, and it was cheap, so we got it for the bedroom.

drjeff

I'm upto 3 now between the multiple properties.

The primary is a wall mounted 50" Samsung Plasma. The secondary in the basement is my "old school" Sony XBR 32" high def ready picture tube TV (weighs almost as much as a snowcat ;) ) And then I just added a 32" LCD wall mounted TV at the ski house(this one actually saved me $$ in a round about way as after we bought our ski house, my wife was convinced that we needed a wall of built in cabinetry for the TV(26" tube came with the place)/books/family momentos, etc. I suggested hanging a flat sceen on the wall, and a quick trip to walmart and I have a clean looking wall with a high def picture :)

Love high def programming. I could literally just watch Discovery HD all day, okay the occasional NESN Redsox broadcast isn't tooo bad either!

MRGisevil

I'm quite spoiled: I have a 50" flat screen plasma in the great room and a 46" DLP in the living room:grin:

SkiDog

They dont have to switch to HD only DIGITAL.....the analog is going the way of the do do bird I think next year is the cutoff for major networks..smaller markets have some leeway.

and in regards to the HD/Flat panel/LCD/Plasma....

ONE WORD..

VISIO....

nuff said...

you'll LOVE the cost...youll LOVE the set, and you'll LOVE the picture.

M

RISkier

Haven't taken the plunge yet but have been looking. Folks pay through the nose to be early adopters of new technologies. How do you folks who have the Sharp Aquos LCDs like them? And do you see any ghosting or image blur when watching fast moving subjects? I've been debating plasma or LCD. The plasmas are heavy, use lots of electricity, and generate a lot of heat. And we have some built in area where the TV will have to go so the heat concerns.

ctenidae

There is some blur/pixilation on the Aquos. It's usually not noticeable, but when it is it annoys me. Never see it in anything HD or on DVD, but early 90's action movies on TBS are tough.

ComeBackMudPuddles

I spend a lot of time away from home, so I end up watching TV on my laptop using a SlingBox.

The SlingBox is, IMHO, one of the greatest inventions of the past 10 years. Amazing technology. And cheap!

At home I have a regular ol' 32" TV. It's true that the ball game isn't as crisp as on HD, but I've got other things to spend $2000 on. It's just a question of priorities. I don't think badly of people who spend that kind of money on TV. It must be important to them.