• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Audi

SKIQUATTRO

2002 AUDI A4 AVANT 5 SPD
QUATTRO
SPORT PKG
LEATHER
SUNROOF
6 DISK IN DASH CD CHANGER
XEONS
HEATED SEATS (ALL 4)
HEATED MIRRORS
HEATED WINDSHIELD FLUID
NEW CONTIXTREME TIRES
NEW BRAKES
60 K MILES
SERVICED BY AUDI OF HUNTINGTON, NY (LONG ISLD)
PROFESSIONALLY DETAILED 2X/YEAR
EXT COLOR: RED
INT COLOR: BLACK
CLEAN RECORD, NO ACCIDENTS, NO DAMAGE, NO REPAIRS

Unbelievable Ski Car..I also have full Thule racks mounted with accessories (extra)

PM ME OR CALL 516 835 1588

SkiDog

Unbelievable Ski Car..I also have full Thule racks mounted with accessories (extra)

Why ya dumping it? I loved my Audi, but in all honesty after the factory warranty was up things started to go...and the repair costs are through the roof because of the name....I did like it though...

Good luck.

M

Price??? I want an Audi as my next car but I want a new one..or maybe like 3 months old..after 60k miles, that's when expensive maintenence occurs..

SkiDog

Price??? I want an Audi as my next car but I want a new one..or maybe like 3 months old..after 60k miles, that's when expensive maintenence occurs..

YOU SAID IT......

Im thinking this is why its going bye bye from SKIQUATTRO...i sold mine and know the owner I sold to (dad)....he had to do control arms...clutch...and a bunch of other things......sold it at just over 100K (my dad that is) and I think got like $6K....

I think the actual Audi dealer serviced 60K "tune up" is near a grand.

If you lease a NEW audi and give it back after the FULL SERVICE (which is awesome they pay for everything but tires) warranty ends you got a great car...just dont buy at lease end...

That is all.
M

deadheadskier

Staff member
I had an A6 for about two years and loved it, but WAY to expensive to maintain. Sure leasing is great if you put under 12K miles a year on a vehicle, but I think I've done that a total of one time since I graduated high school. 25-30K is the norm for a year for me.

I traded my 99' in with 102K miles and got 5500 towards my 07' Hyundai Sonata, which I love. Unless I hit the lotto, I'm sticking to Japanese or Korean cars or American SUV's. Before the Audi, I had a Ford Explorer that I beat the crap out of an ran until 198K miles and it had half the problems of the Audi and a quarter the repair costs.

drjeff

My wife's on her 3rd Audi lease. She usually does a 3 or so year (I believe she gets a 39 month) lease for 60K miles. Turns them in and gets a new one right around the big service mark.

As the family's grown, we've gone from the A4 to the A6 and now the Q7. Loved them all and they've been real dependable for us.

The only things that we haven't liked about them, is with her A4 (an '02 model) the cup holders weren't big enough for a 20oz soda bottle and/or a large coffee cup - nussance stuff - and more annoying is the roof rack on the Q7 - you can't mount any kind of rack system to it as of yet with how the engineers designed it :angry:

skibum1321

Leasing is the way to go..

That goes against the advice of pretty much every expert out there. For me leasing would be a huge waste of money since I drive 25000+ miles per year. Also, you have constant car payments. Sure your monthly payments are lower, but you never actually own a car. Leasing is really only an option if you don't drive a lot of miles or if you are willing to pay a ton extra for putting on a bunch of miles. Buying low mileage used cars tends to be a better option if you drive lots of miles. For the most part, your repair costs won't be anything compared to the cost of monthly payments.
Also, if you need a car to be absolutely reliable then leasing is probably a good option because you always have a fairly new car and a lower chance of breakdowns.
This is all from someone that cares more about having a cheap, reliable, efficient car (Mazda3) than the latest and greatest or some $30,000 car or some super duper SUV that gets 5mpg.

Greg

Staff member
That goes against the advice of pretty much every expert out there. For me leasing would be a huge waste of money since I drive 25000+ miles per year. Also, you have constant car payments. Sure your monthly payments are lower, but you never actually own a car. Leasing is really only an option if you don't drive a lot of miles or if you are willing to pay a ton extra for putting on a bunch of miles. Buying low mileage used cars tends to be a better option if you drive lots of miles. For the most part, your repair costs won't be anything compared to the cost of monthly payments.
Also, if you need a car to be absolutely reliable then leasing is probably a good option because you always have a fairly new car and a lower chance of breakdowns.
This is all from someone that cares more about having a cheap, reliable, efficient car (Mazda3) than the latest and greatest or some $30,000 car or some super duper SUV that gets 5mpg.

Agreed. I put about 18K a year on my cars. The key to buying is try to get something you are willing to drive for 7-10+ years. My 8 year old Cherokee has 140,000+ miles on it and it still runs like a champ. I want to get 18-24 more month out of it.

ctenidae

Leasing works for me because we put about 8K miles a year on our car, if that. It's fun getting a new car every few years, too, especially as mpg increases and emissions lessen.

WWF-VT

I have an 2001 A6 2.8 Quattro Wagon. So far no big service bills. Stopped using local dealers and now have my car worked on exclusively at Brian's Garage in Needham, MA. Dramatically lower cost than dealers and they are Audi/VW pros

drjeff

In my wife's lease situation, for the extra miles on her lease, payment ends up being essentially the same as if we bought the car. The 2 main reasons we started leasing her vehicles now 5 years ago is 1) at the tiem we were a kid-less couple and new that would be changing soon, so the space needs for her ride were going to be changing - hence our progession up in the car size 2) Her last pre-audi car - a 4 year old Honda Accord ended up with a horrendous and very expensive maintenance record and she didn't want anything to do with that. Either way with the maintenance program Audi offered she's just be paying for gas and tires if needed and that was very appealing to her. If we were not going to need more space, we probably would have bought the 1st one out right.

Now, she likes getting a new vehicle every few years. She's actually on her 3rd new one since I got my last SUV. This way I figure she can't give me any grief if when by beloved Trailblazer finally has had enough (140K almost problem free and counting on it now), she can't give me any grief if I want to get a few extra options on my next vehicle ;)

With leasing..I can keep my money in the bank and do a zero down low milage lease. Drive as much as I want..have low payments for three years...Take the option to buy...drive the car a little more..and sell privately...then start over again..It works well for me..I'm on my 4th lease..

ComeBackMudPuddles

I don't think it's a philosophical question ("to lease or not to lease"). Leasing has worked for me with cheap cars, because the intial downpayment is really low, as well as the monthly payments.

Generally speaking, I like the flexibility of being able to walk away and get a new car again.

When I start looking to pimp my ride someday, I think it'll be a simple question of what's cheaper. But, I'd have to think long and hard before plunking down $2500 or $3000 just for the right to lease a car. It'd start feeling like throwing money out the window....

skibum1321

As with most other things, it's all about what works for your individual situation. There is no right or wrong answer as whether leasing or buying is better. It's a very similar debate as the "rent vs buy" debate for housing. It all depends on the situation...

deadheadskier

Staff member
With leasing..I can keep my money in the bank and do a zero down low milage lease. Drive as much as I want..have low payments for three years...Take the option to buy...drive the car a little more..and sell privately...then start over again..It works well for me..I'm on my 4th lease..

Drive as much as you want? The only reasonable leases I've seen advetised are ones where you are allowed 12K miles per year, 15k at the most.

JimG.

Staff member
As with most other things, it's all about what works for your individual situation. There is no right or wrong answer as whether leasing or buying is better. It's a very similar debate as the "rent vs buy" debate for housing. It all depends on the situation...

Exactly...I drive roughly 40,000 miles a year between work, my kids' travel soccer, and sking.

Leasing never worked for me...I'd get killed on the mileage overage fees.