• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Moose sighting possible?

MonkeyBrook

Yep, we were right across street from this guy. He was doing his thing, one of my kids screamed and we scared him....I thought he was going to come at me....I jumped in car and backed way up. We watched him for about 10 minutes. I couldnt believe how fast some of the cars were going on that side of the road.

kgilby

Update

Well, unfortunately I didn't see a moose while in the Whites - bummer. Thanks for all the suggestions, though. But my wife saw a bear cross a stream about 50 yards from where we sat having lunch on a trail, which was cool. I guess we'll have to go back and try again - it is a beautiful area and we hit it with the colors just about at their peak.

SKIER4LIFE1281

well i didnt see any moose when i went searching on route 16 while i was there on columbus day weekend. they must have known it was moose season ( Moose season started on columbus day). Maybe i didnt see a live moose but i saw about 6 moose from hunting season in oquossoc.

kgilby

Well, that probably helps explain the dearth of moose, I think I'd disappear for a while myself. We were up early and out until just about dark every day, too.

WoodCore

The Moose are everywhere!!

Believe it or not a couple of weeks ago a moose passed through my neighborhood early one Saturday morning. This may not sound out of the ordinary but considering that I live within 2 miles of the center of one of the larger cities in Connecticut it was the last place I expected to see a moose! Unfortunately the poor animal was unresponsive to the tranquilizers and seeing as it was headed straight for a limited access highway it was shot and killed.

BTW, The meat from that the animal yielded was donated to the Connecticut Food Bank, part of the Hunt to Feed program.

SKIER4LIFE1281

ya i live in the fairfield country region too a nd i heard about that moose being killed by fairfield police near the merritt parkway. about 2 days after i read something about the same thing happening in waterbury with the moose and the police shooting it. i think it is pretty kool that they are living in this area but with all the roads and traffic it wont end up so well.

Mike P.

last moose I saw in the car was easter 2005, on Route 23 in Blandford, south of the mass pike & not far from the Route 8 corridor that would link up with Waterbury.

alpino

Between hiking and skiing I spend quite a lot of time in the mountains of NH and most years I see at least a few moose. But this year I haven't seen any yet. At least not live ones. On Labor Day weekend I was driving through Pinkham Notch on my way to Mt Waumbek and saw one lying on the side of the road. Looked like the poor thing was probably hit by a car. Then in Sept I was hiking the western half of the Grafton Loop Trail in Maine and I came across the skull of a moose right on the side of the trail. It was a bit spooky but a very interesting find. Hopefully before the year's out I'll see a live one.