• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Moose sighting possible?

kgilby

We'll be backpacking in the Whites, somewhere, around Columbus Day and I was hoping to catch sight of a moose while there. Is that likely to happen at this time of year? Where would our chances be better than average for spotting one?

bigbog

moose.......

You shouldn't have too much trouble seeing some in relatively shallow sections of ponds containing weeds growing on the bottom. Like most wild animals, they shy away from hords of people....so wherever the crowds are...most likely the animals won't be...
Other than feeding in the ponds, they usually wait till early evening to come out into the open.... ....hope that helps a little.
Around Columbus Day...don't get as close to them as you'd normally be comfortable with.....it's getting close to their mating season....I think....and they're usualy running all around, throughout the woods in October. They're often a little more aggressive as well.

$.01

Last edited:

LongStep

the last two times coming home from north Conway we saw moose right off the highway in the woods. I always drive slow on that highway and keep an open eye to spot some moose.

Angus

additional comment re: ponds and swampy areas - early morning or dusk. seems like if I'm on 302 above crawford notch or in franconia notch, I always see them. if you want to be guaranteed go to Errol - there everywhere!

kgilby

Thanks to EVERYBODY!

Thanks for all the replies. I have been looking for moose every time we get out into the woods for the last 16 years, since I saw a beautiful bull with a great rack right next to the road in Yellowstone just after we entered the park. I didn't stop, figuring they must be everywhere, and haven't seen one since.

alpino

I never seem to find moose when I'm looking for them. They seem to appear on the side of the road when you least expect it. But one place that I have seen them quite often is along the Kancamagus. If you come upon a trafic jam in the middle of nowhere, there is probably a moose up ahead.

Bob R, I hiked the western half of the Grafton Loop Trail last week (near Screw Auger Falls) and afterwards on the way back to Bethel I came across the pie stand. Lots of pies and jellies. I had blueberry pie for lunch. It was excellent.

MonkeyBrook

BobR, the pie lady rocks. Mid-day on weekends, and you are guaranteed a great pie. Havent tried the pickles but next time up I am buying some.

SKIER4LIFE1281

ya there area lot of moose that ive seen on route 16 into rangeley a lot especially at around 6-7 pm this time of year

kgilby

Thanks alpino & skier4life

We'll be in those areas and will definitely be watching for them.

SKIER4LIFE1281

make sure that u drive slow and really look in the woods drive at like 5- 15mph and let other drivers pass, i was up there in july and saw a few and if ur lucky you will find quite a few actually that is highly likely.

kgilby

make sure that u drive slow and really look in the woods drive at like 5- 15mph and let other drivers pass, i was up there in july and saw a few and if ur lucky you will find quite a few actually that is highly likely.

The locals are gonna love me - I'll have to keep an eye on the rear view mirror, too.

Hiking New England

Website
www.HikingNewEngland.com
I have made tons of drives up north, simply to see moose. I found the best spot is the "13 mile woods", in Errol following the Androscoggin River.

I usually get up there around 7am. There have been times when the moose are so thick that you need to drive VERY carefully. I can see five or six on some days.

Nice drive, good times.

:)

kgilby

I have made tons of drives up north, simply to see moose. I found the best spot is the "13 mile woods", in Errol following the Androscoggin River.

I usually get up there around 7am. There have been times when the moose are so thick that you need to drive VERY carefully. I can see five or six on some days.

Nice drive, good times.

:)

Thanks - it sounds like spotting a moose may not be as tough as I imagined. Everyone here has been really helpful. Thanks again.