• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1st skis

roark

all plastic yellow with some sort of giraffe pattern. Retaining straps.

First real skis were some Olins, some sort of race ski. Hot pink bases that made the snow glow like it was radioactive. I loved them.

K2s from my cousins basement with M-25 marker binders..and rental boots from Nazareth sporting goods( now out of business) because my boot was still growing..Those were a 170 and I was in 8th grade. Last season the skis I skied on the most were a 170..wow..crazy..but I still have two pairs of 195s in my apartment..X-screams and Vipers..holla

bigbog

K2 712s, 175cm. There was a fun bump ski. Couldn't ski bumps;-), but man do I remember how nice those wood core skis(without much else) felt going into and coming out of the trough..into the crest..:cool: They really were a playful ski. It's a good thing too...cause I probably would've killed myself with anything else...;-)

Last edited:

Hawkshot99

My first skis(non-rental) were some pair of Elans. The were straight and black. No idea what the model was, im gonna guess 120-130 length.

Sky

Kniesel (no clue on the model) 210's. Red with white lettering. Salomon 555 bindings...and a separate (spring-loaded) ski stopper. Vintage 1979 baby.

Grassi21

Head C220is for me. I'm going into my second season with these boards and have 20 days on them. I'm looking to upgrade at the end of the season. I think they are 156s with the Tyrolia integrated binding thingy.

Rushski

Hummer (no joke) yellow with orange stripes 1980 or 81. With some weird looking Tyrolia bindings that of course had the dreaded runaway straps.

Greg

Staff member
In the summer of 1994 after two days on rentals the previous season, I went out and bought the cheapest set-up I could get (poor college student at the time):

190 cm Elans - straight, black, and the most basic model they made, forgot the name
Salomon Quadrax bindings
Alpina boots

I think the whole set up cost about $250.