• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I broke down

2knees

and bought a minivan. But at least its AWD so i can take some solace in that. I held out for a while but cramming all that junk for our kids into the outback just got to be too much.

wa-loaf

and bought a minivan. But at least its AWD so i can take some solace in that. I held out for a while but cramming all that junk for our kids into the outback just got to be too much.

We're on that path. Next car is a minivan. We'll keep the outback though. And it's at least a year out still.

Toyota Sienna? Isn't that the only one you can get with AWD?

Grassi21

wifey is due for a new ride in dec. we both agree that we will not go minivan. but with a baby and two dogs finding an affordable suv/cuv with enough space is challenging. we both love the GMC Acadia but the MSRP on that thing is ridiculous. not to mention GM isn't cutting any deals on this model at the moment. hopefully we can swoop in in dec. and do some negotiating.

ComeBackMudPuddles

wifey is due for a new ride in dec. we both agree that we will not go minivan. but with a baby and two dogs finding an affordable suv/cuv with enough space is challenging. we both love the GMC Acadia but the MSRP on that thing is ridiculous. not to mention GM isn't cutting any deals on this model at the moment. hopefully we can swoop in in dec. and do some negotiating.

The Acadia is quite nice. I think the Saturn is basically the same and has a lower sticker.

2knees

We're on that path. Next car is a minivan. We'll keep the outback though. And it's at least a year out still.

Toyota Sienna? Isn't that the only one you can get with AWD?

yup the Sienna. got a relatively good deal on the last '07 we could find. And they gave us a nice number on the outback as a trade in.

ajl50

Dude you lost. Just admit it. You bought a minivan.
There's nothing anybody can say. You're not cool anymore.
Sorry.

SkiDork

04.chevrolet.suburban.500.jpg

Thats what I have. My manhood is intact....

hammer

04.chevrolet.suburban.500.jpg

Thats what I have. My manhood is intact....
Does it get better gas mileage than a Hummer?

On another note...as critical as people are about minivans, I'd be hard-pressed to find an SUV that can match one in storage capacity vs. fuel economy.

bvibert

Staff member

If it makes you feel better I just sold my truck to buy a station wagon... Though, IMHO, it's still way cooler than a minivan... :razz:

bvibert

Staff member
On another note...as critical as people are about minivans, I'd be hard-pressed to find an SUV that can match one in storage capacity vs. fuel economy.

I agree and that's why I'd buy one over a large SUV at this point in my life. My wife has a small SUV now (98 Blazer) that gets crappy gas mileage and doesn't really have all that much storage. We have to put a cargo box on top just to bring our two kids car camping for the weekend.

Greg

Staff member
I agree and that's why I'd buy one over a large SUV at this point in my life. My wife has a small SUV now (98 Blazer) that gets crappy gas mileage and doesn't really have all that much storage. We have to put a cargo box on top just to bring our two kids car camping for the weekend.

That used to be us. We learned to streamline operations quite a bit. It gets easier as the kids get older.

bvibert

Staff member
That used to be us. We learned to streamline operations quite a bit. It gets easier as the kids get older.

The damn stroller takes up a ton of space alone. I can't wait till we don't need one anymore...

hammer

I had it worse...when we went car camping this summer my Highlander was so space-challenged that, even with the box on top, we still needed to bring two cars.

In the end, it worked out better because we used one car as our bear box and had the other to get around with...

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I plan on holding out forever. I have a mid-large sized sedan and the wife has an 8 y.o. grand cherokee. Which still drives nice at 100k. But a new vehicle for her and the kids isn't too far off the horizon. Definitely need a 3rd row and awd or 4wd capability. But I'm looking at another SUV or a cross-over vehicle.

Also, doesn't Dodge make an AWD minivan? But you'd be much better off with a toyota in the long run i think, but doesn't Chrysler, like jeep now have a lifetime drivetrain warranty? That is impressive. (Esp for jeeps, I've heard they tend to have tranny problems at some point down the line)

2knees

We've cut down significantly on what we pack up. problem is my wife's mother lives right near the beach in se mass. so we go there like 2 or 3 times a month during the summer. that entails the jogging stroller, beach toys, pack and play for the little one etc etc. if it was the typical one vacation and occasional trips, i might've been able to convince her to just get another outback. but when you pack up that much stuff, that often, it just didnt make any sense not to get a minivan.