• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NFL 2007 Season thread

FRITOLAYGUY

Two completely dominating performances today by the Pats and the Colts. As if it hasn't been for the past month, next week's game coming up may be the most hyped regular season game in the history of the NFL.

Both teams are completely crushing everyone they face almost like no teams have ever done before. I can't ever recall two teams being THIS good. amazing

Well im trying to think of a regular season matchup to compare this to but i cant come up with any, this is going to be a great game.

drjeff

Pats roughly 6 point FAVORITES next week. Whens the last time a defending superbowl champion whose playing very well been such an underdog in their own building???? The Pats looked unreal yesterday, almost as good as their cheerleaders did in the 1st half all dressed in in Halloween costumes! ;)

Rushski

Pats could have held them scoreless if they so pleased yesterday. Colts D will not hold up to that air attack. Plus Maroney looked good and didn't have to over exert the last two weeks.

Would be nice to see Seymour and Watson back, but they can win so many ways it's scary...

jack97

Would be nice to see Seymour and Watson back, but they can win so many ways it's scary...
Seymour was playing in the first half. I later read that he alternated w/ Green for most of the first half and was out for most of the second.

drjeff

Seymour was playing in the first half. I later read that he alternated w/ Green for most of the first half and was out for most of the second.

I know that he had atleast an assisted tackle in the 3rd quarter, he got a big ovation when they mentioned his name over the PA system! I think it all had to do with the fact that I wore his jersey yesterday and left my Brady and Bruschi jersey hanging in the closet ;)

deadheadskier

Staff member
So, what are people's opinions on how most of the analysists are going off on Belichik for running up scores?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I dn't have a problem with it....infact he might be trying to break the record setting 556 points scored by the Vikings in one season.....Oh by the way Moss was a HUGE part of that.

Scary that the Pats are on pace to score 662!!! Doubt they'll do it and I really don't think they care.

Belichick is catching a lot of crap for running up the score and I really don't think he cares nor do I view the behavior as classless either. I think he's just matter of fact about the game. When you have the ball on offense the goal is to keep the ball away from the other team, get first downs and score touchdowns. That's the job of the offense from the opening whistle to the final gun. If it's a tight game and it's 4th and short, you take the points and kick a field goal. If you've got a comfortable lead, even if it's by a wide margin, you'll take your chances on going for it on fourth down.

There were two intances when the Pats went for it on fourth down. Say the Redskins stopped them and on both occasions went on to score touchdowns. That happens and the score ends up being 38 to 14. Would they be still pissing and moaning then about running up the score and saying they would've rathered that the Pats have kicked field goals and the game ended 44 - 0 ? Think about it.

Sure, maybe the Pats could've taken Brady out a couple of series earlier in the game. Go ahead and criticize that, but I don't buy the criticism against Belichick for coaching the offense the way he did in the fourth by throwing so much. Like I said, the job of the offense is to keep the ball away from the other team, get first downs and score touchdowns. If he thought he could just run the ball and hold onto it and keep the ball away from the defense, he would've probably done that. Last I checked, football isn't a game of charity. Why should the Patriots stop trying their hardest? Why go half a$$ and by doing so, give the ball back to the opposition and allow them a chance to score? Because that's the classy thing to do?

I don't think so

PA Ridge Racer

So, what are people's opinions on how most of the analysists are going off on Belichik for running up scores?

I love it. Let them talk. Their talk does nothing but good for the Patriots. I truly think after last years AFC Championship game Bill Belichick has taken on the philosophy that it aint over till it's over. And I'm so with him there. Plus his answer to the question during the press conference was awesome ..."What did you want me to do kick a field goal". classic.

Last edited:

Mildcat

I actually like it that everyone is hating the Pats. They've always fed off of the "us against the world" attitude. That being said I don't think he is running up the score. Bill cares about winning games, not stats. I think he wants his guys to play hard from kick off til the final second ticks off the clock. He wants them to stay focussed and not get into bad habits that happens when you play at half speed.

I do believe they will run up the score in the second game against the Jets. Barring major injuries I wonder what the line will be on that game?

drjeff

I

I do believe they will run up the score in the second game against the Jets. Barring major injuries I wonder what the line will be on that game?

Pats by 30 would probably be a "covereable" number, more realistic would be 14 1/2 to 17, with the over being close to 50. At that point, with the pats potentially looking at moving to 14-0 and the complete lack of "love loss" between them, it wouldn't suprise me if that final score is more lopsided than this past Sunday's game against the 'skins was. Who knows, depending on his health and how the next few weeks go, Brady might even surpass Manning's single season TD record that game. Now that would be fun!

jack97

Scary that the Pats are on pace to score 662!!! Doubt they'll do it and I really don't think they care.

Belichick is catching a lot of crap for running up the score and I really don't think he cares nor do I view the behavior as classless either. I think he's just matter of fact about the game. When you have the ball on offense the goal is to keep the ball away from the other team, get first downs and score touchdowns. That's the job of the offense from the opening whistle to the final gun. If it's a tight game and it's 4th and short, you take the points and kick a field goal. If you've got a comfortable lead, even if it's by a wide margin, you'll take your chances on going for it on fourth down.

There were two intances when the Pats went for it on fourth down. Say the Redskins stopped them and on both occasions went on to score touchdowns. That happens and the score ends up being 38 to 14. Would they be still pissing and moaning then about running up the score and saying they would've rathered that the Pats have kicked field goals and the game ended 44 - 0 ? Think about it.

Sure, maybe the Pats could've taken Brady out a couple of series earlier in the game. Go ahead and criticize that, but I don't buy the criticism against Belichick for coaching the offense the way he did in the fourth by throwing so much. Like I said, the job of the offense is to keep the ball away from the other team, get first downs and score touchdowns. If he thought he could just run the ball and hold onto it and keep the ball away from the defense, he would've probably done that. Last I checked, football isn't a game of charity. Why should the Patriots stop trying their hardest? Why go half a$$ and by doing so, give the ball back to the opposition and allow them a chance to score? Because that's the classy thing to do?

I don't think so

Belichick is in a no win; he tells the offense to take a knee and then you get opposing teams saying that's insulting for not giving them the best they got. He keeps the offense hone in and it's running up the score. He takes too many starters out and he may lose continuity on the offense, not a good situation with a big game coming up this week. In addition this might expose his defense to time of possession or scoring opportunities.

The guy can win either way, IMO he doesn't really care. I rather he keep the offense honed in. Last season, what kill them against the colts were too many 3 and outs or no 3rd down conversion at critical times of the game.

Mildcat

Pats by 30 would probably be a "covereable" number, more realistic would be 14 1/2 to 17, with the over being close to 50. At that point, with the pats potentially looking at moving to 14-0 and the complete lack of "love loss" between them, it wouldn't suprise me if that final score is more lopsided than this past Sunday's game against the 'skins was. Who knows, depending on his health and how the next few weeks go, Brady might even surpass Manning's single season TD record that game. Now that would be fun!

It's shocking to see them giving 5-6 points to the undefeated superbowl champs on the road. That's almost unheard of. I can't wait for this game. I want to see how Adalius Thomas does covering Dallas Clark and if Bob Sanders has to respect the receivers more by not sneaking up to the line as much. He's been a thorn in our side the last couple times they've played.

jack97

It's shocking to see them giving 5-6 points to the undefeated superbowl champs on the road. That's almost unheard of. I can't wait for this game. I want to see how Adalius Thomas does covering Dallas Clark and if Bob Sanders has to respect the receivers more by not sneaking up to the line as much. He's been a thorn in our side the last couple times they've played.

Last year's AFC champsionship game, all the wise guys knew that the Pats defense was banged up. Rodney was out, Seymour was hurt and Brucshi lost a step. The fact that they almost pulled it would have the third biggest upset Belicheck would have pulled off and the second biggest upset the pat would have pulled off. IMO, Rodney would cover clark over top and Adalious would be covering inside, blocking out any passing lane.

Going back to last year, the fact that they had an inexperience safety and outside lb force Bruschi to do too many things. It allowed any good TE with a good running back to just eat them up in the middle.

PA Ridge Racer

If he plays back then you you hit Welker over the middle, If he plays up on the line then that'll leave Moss, Stallworth, Watson (if he plays) in a better position to make a play. That's the beauty of this offense. Teams really don't know how to cover them. I forget who it was from Dallas who said that no matter what they threw at the Pats they still couldn't do anything about it (not verbatim).