• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NFL 2007 Season thread

jack97

If he plays back then you you hit Welker over the middle, If he plays up on the line then that'll leave Moss, Stallworth, Watson (if he plays) in a better position to make a play. That's the beauty of this offense. Teams really don't know how to cover them. I forget who it was from Dallas who said that no matter what they threw at the Pats they still couldn't do anything about it (not verbatim).

To add in the Tight Ends woes; no word on Watson and Kyle Brady got hurt in first half during the skins game. IMO, a concern for the running game and neutralizing sanders. Going back to the skins game, they ranked 5th with a pair of good safeties, first couple of plays in opening series was up the middle/off guard, thus forcing them to play run, this kept the safeties guessing throughout the half.

The fact that K bardy got hurt and was pulled out could have been the reason why the Pats couldn't chew up the clock with a running attack going into the fourth qtr. Tells me they had to rely on the passing game to keep control of the situation.

Last edited:

Rushski

Kyle Brady did practice today (31st). His blocking helps the running game and protects Tom Brady like another tackle. Would nice to see Watson come back and make some catches, but Stallworth and Gaffney (and of couse when needed Faulk) are starting to get more passes...

2knees

Patriot fans are pretty funny. My wife is a die hard and has been yelling at the talk shows and sports shows all week about the whole running up the score thing.

anyone emotionally removed from the patriots knows exactly what is going on and why. All you pats fans try to rationalize it and/or defend it from here to the moon. It is classless and it is bush league. Teams have been taking knees and letting off the throttle for years. Up by 38-0 and the pats throw a 35 yard pass to randy moss? come on. Yes, its football and there is no charity but teams and coaches have long memories. The patriots time to pay will come eventually.

now i'm gonna go run and duck under a table. :lol:

Mike P.

Curious to see actual numbers, any stat geeks out there?

I think it's kind of funny that Steve Young is gripping about points.

I seem to recall they blew a few teams out his carrer, Bill Walsh & G. Sieffert were just more likeable In t Dallas both in the 70's & early 90's that Doomsday & America's team was winning 35-3.

Please tell me Marino before him & Manning in the record breaking years needed everyone of those touchdowns for a victory. Was every game in Miami's perfect season 17-14?

Considering that many super bowls were blow-outs (Was the Fridge scoring a TD instead of Walter Payton called for in the close Bears Vs. Pats 46-10 game?) If you blew out the best team in the other division, could every game those super bowl champs won against the weaker teams in their diviosn really have been 21-19 games?

The year Norwood missed the kick, Tuna & the Giants controlled the ball for over 40 minutes because they were afaid if the Bills had it it would be a blowout. How did that Bills team do against the weaker teams in the AFC that year?

When is the last time you saw a team take a knee with 12 minutes to go? Is the offense supposed to run their plays & then fumble at the 10? Are defensive players supposed to drop balls in their hands or give fumbles back?

FRITOLAYGUY

If the opposing teams coach and defense dont like people running up the score while they sit back there and make the money they make i have one thing to say, do something about it then!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Curious to see actual numbers, any stat geeks out there?

I think it's kind of funny that Steve Young is gripping about points.

I seem to recall they blew a few teams out his carrer, Bill Walsh & G. Sieffert were just more likeable In t Dallas both in the 70's & early 90's that Doomsday & America's team was winning 35-3.

Please tell me Marino before him & Manning in the record breaking years needed everyone of those touchdowns for a victory. Was every game in Miami's perfect season 17-14?

Considering that many super bowls were blow-outs (Was the Fridge scoring a TD instead of Walter Payton called for in the close Bears Vs. Pats 46-10 game?) If you blew out the best team in the other division, could every game those super bowl champs won against the weaker teams in their diviosn really have been 21-19 games?

The year Norwood missed the kick, Tuna & the Giants controlled the ball for over 40 minutes because they were afaid if the Bills had it it would be a blowout. How did that Bills team do against the weaker teams in the AFC that year?

When is the last time you saw a team take a knee with 12 minutes to go? Is the offense supposed to run their plays & then fumble at the 10? Are defensive players supposed to drop balls in their hands or give fumbles back?

Here's some numbers

49-14
41-10
41-9
51-24

Who was it? The 2004 Colts. Didn't hear people bitch then about running up the score and Manning padding his individual stats.

Interesting article

http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/wilbur/sports_blog/blog/2007/11/01/four_score_and_several_more/

jack97

Patriot fans are pretty funny. My wife is a die hard and has been yelling at the talk shows and sports shows all week about the whole running up the score thing.

now i'm gonna go run and duck under a table. :lol:

Mrs 2knees sounds like a great wife :)

I lost a lot of respect for Steve Young, he turned artificial...he's become a media talking head. Check out the records of the niners when he was a qb. He "ran it up" on the weaker teams.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo1992.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo1993.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo1994.htm

The media folks with the agenda forgot to mentioned that in the skins game, Brady's last drive started at the end of the third qtr and finished it with 10-11 mins left in the 4th. The long pass he threw to Moss might have been due tight coverage in the flat or underneath. They think Brady is going to throw into double coverage and take a knee just to make the skins feel better?

PA Ridge Racer

Here's some numbers

49-14
41-10
41-9
51-24

Who was it? The 2004 Colts. Didn't hear people bitch then about running up the score and Manning padding his individual stats.

Why would they? That's poster boy Peyton Manning...He wouldn't dare do such a thing.

IMO It's not over till it's over. In football crazy things have happened and will happen. Teams have to play until the final whistle and offenses go out on the field for one purpose, to score touchdowns.

Last edited:

2knees

It is STILL early but if they get past the colts, 16-0 is seriously attainable. The pats have no one left on their schedule after this game who is a serious scare. I guess the Giants on the road may be a decent opponent and i believe they get MY (i love when people refer to teams as us and we) steelers but thats at the razor.

jack97

It is STILL early but if they get past the colts, 16-0 is seriously attainable.

The 72 dolphins had that perfect season and put a beatdown on the lowly pats 52-0. Hope this current pats team does it with a 3 td cushion for each game. Yeah payback is a b!tch. :p

2knees

Yeah payback is a b!tch. :p

Touche!

God i hate the patriots. I used to really pull for them when they were lovable losers. Never a threat to the steelers. Always doing something off the field with the likes of Hart Lee Dykes and such. Then came Bledsoe and i really wanted to see him turn them around. But then they beat the steelers in 96 and again in 01. And in 03 but that one was expected.

drjeff

The 72 dolphins had that perfect season and put a beatdown on the lowly pats 52-0. Hope this current pats team does it with a 3 td cushion for each game. Yeah payback is a b!tch. :p

I think one of the best things about their remaining schedule is the bye week after the Indy game this week. Emotionally one way or another this game is going to take alot out of them, and a week off will let them come out fresh again for the final 7 games of the regular season.

I feel like I'll sound like Belicheck here:rolleyes:, but the next few games after the bye aren't a cake walk by any means with a trip to Buffalo, then the Eagles coming to Gillette, then a trip to Baltimore and the Pittsburgh coming to Gillette before they get to play "video tape bowl" against the Jets. Do I think that they'll get through this and onto the Dolphins in week 16 undefeated, yes, will it be easy after this week, on paper yes, but as then again you don't play football on paper ;)

drjeff

Touche!

God i hate the patriots. I used to really pull for them when they were lovable losers. Never a threat to the steelers. Always doing something off the field with the likes of Hart Lee Dykes and such. Then came Bledsoe and i really wanted to see him turn them around. But then they beat the steelers in 96 and again in 01. And in 03 but that one was expected.

Bledsoe has to be one of the earlier inducties into the currently being bult Patriot hall of fame aoutside of Gillette Stadium, While he wasn't the one that got them the Lomabrdi trophy, he was a definate catalyst to the teams assention and definately a factor in the building of Gillette Stadium.

PA Ridge Racer

Bledsoe has to be one of the earlier inducties into the currently being bult Patriot hall of fame aoutside of Gillette Stadium, While he wasn't the one that got them the Lomabrdi trophy, he was a definate catalyst to the teams assention and definately a factor in the building of Gillette Stadium.

I was a HUGE Drew Bledsoe Fan. I had about three of his jerseys. I remember his rookie year when engineered that 4th quarter comeback in the final game of the season...I think it was against the Dolphins and everyone knew that it was the start of something good. Then he got the Pats to the Superbowl in '97 who ran into a tough Green Bay team but they were in it for a bit. Remember his pass to Terry Glenn that set up the first score. I think it was over when Desmond Howard ran the opening second half kickoff back for a score but they put up a fight. He should definitely be in the Patriot hall.

jack97

Agreed that he helped this franchise tremendously, my knock on Bledsoe is he didn't take his game to the next level, once Chris Plamer left, he never made any significant improvement.

The one Patriot who should get in is Andre Tippet, he's probably a borderline HOF for Canton. His only problem was he played in weak teams, in a small market and was overshadowed by LT.

Last edited:

2knees

I was a HUGE Drew Bledsoe Fan. I had about three of his jerseys. I remember his rookie year when engineered that 4th quarter comeback in the final game of the season...I think it was against the Dolphins and everyone knew that it was the start of something good. Then he got the Pats to the Superbowl in '97 who ran into a tough Green Bay team but they were in it for a bit. Remember his pass to Terry Glenn that set up the first score. I think it was over when Desmond Howard ran the opening second half kickoff back for a score but they put up a fight. He should definitely be in the Patriot hall.

If my memory serves me correctly, the pats won their last 4 games in his first year and that last win against miami knocked them out of the playoffs. Then in 94, the went from 3-6 to 10-6 to make the playoffs. They had that amazing comeback against the vikings to win their 4th game. Bledsoe set the record for most completions and attempts in one game. something like 45-70. It was great to watch. As Jack points out, he just kinda hit a ceiling and never got any better.

Considering some of the hacks teams are starting this year, i have to believe bledsoe must really enjoy retirement cause someone must've called him by now. (Vinny Testaverde)

jack97

I feel like I'll sound like Belicheck here:rolleyes:, but the next few games after the bye aren't a cake walk by any means with a trip to Buffalo, then the Eagles coming to Gillette, then a trip to Baltimore and the Pittsburgh coming to Gillette before they get to play "video tape bowl" against the Jets. Do I think that they'll get through this and onto the Dolphins in week 16 undefeated, yes, will it be easy after this week, on paper yes, but as then again you don't play football on paper ;)

Lots of story lines going up to this game and maybe afterwards. Kirwan points out an interesting stat on the long field; percent of scoring a td when you're at your own 20 twenty or lower. Pats are blowing the league average by a ridiculous amount; pats are 78%, the average is 13% and the colts is 16%. The interesting chess match/schemes is that the tampa 2 which Dungy made famous is design to stop the long pass and put pressure on the QB with the edge rush from the ends. If colts can't stop them or expose them with this scheme and personnel then there's little hope others will find a way.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d803b912d&template=with-video&confirm=true&campaign=ec0005

Last edited:

2knees

Biggest problem with the cover 2 is that it leaves the middle of the field open for the tight ends and the backs coming out of the backfield. Also would invite welker to have another huge game, never mind the running game of the pats which is almost forgotten about yet very potent. Freeney has had some success against the pats in the past meetings and he better have a HUGE game if they stand any chance at all of winning this one. as i heard someone say on inside the nfl last night, its like brady is back there waiting for a bus or something. No one has put any pressure on him at all.

jack97

Biggest problem with the cover 2 is that it leaves the middle of the field open for the tight ends and the backs coming out of the backfield. Also would invite welker to have another huge game, never mind the running game of the pats which is almost forgotten about yet very potent. Freeney has had some success against the pats in the past meetings and he better have a HUGE game if they stand any chance at all of winning this one. as i heard someone say on inside the nfl last night, its like brady is back there waiting for a bus or something. No one has put any pressure on him at all.

Thats why tampa 2 uses a smaller but faster mlb to cover the middle. Before this formation/scheme became popular, the mlb were well over 260 lb. Teams using this coverage have mlb 240 lb or lower but they can fly. I agree that the middle is key, I want to see how the safeties and the mlb can cover pass or run in this area. They should be fastest defense the Pats will see.