• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your tuning workshop.

mondeo

Right now, the family room in my house is laminate flooring with a door to the backyard. I'm thinking about putting in a half wall in about 5-6 feet from the side wall, just to the side of the door, leaving that part as a mud room and carpeting the rest. And then putting in a fold-down table on the half wall, so I can tune while watching the TV.

Project for next summer, probably. Don't think I'll have time before this winter given that I haven't even moved in yet.

I like to keep it simple

ski.jpg

though truth be told, I don't even know how to use it. Bought it in the spring and threw away the package. :oops:

I used to be way into tuning back in High School, but no longer have all my old vices, files and such. I live in a very small condo with no room for tuning; well at least that my wife would approve of :lol:

well at least you've got a pen to fill out a workshop ticket at the shop! :razz:

drjeff

Ready to tune.........

workshop_004.jpg

Mega problem noted: ONLY 1 BEER in the fridge!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: That almost makes it seem like the ONLY purpose of going to tune your skis IS to tune your skis and NOT make sure that your liver hasn't lost any of its alcohol processing ability!! :)

Hawkshot99

Mega problem noted: ONLY 1 BEER in the fridge!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: That almost makes it seem like the ONLY purpose of going to tune your skis IS to tune your skis and NOT make sure that your liver hasn't lost any of its alcohol processing ability!! :)

There is wine...

Glenn

I just realized I have make a new setup. All the gear will be up in VT, so that's where the tuning will take place.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I finally cleaned up my workbench today. I also built these 1'x6" supports. The ones I had before were way small and unsupportive. I'm going to layer them with that spongy non-slip stuff you line the bottom of drawers with. This works great with all 3 of my skis and my wife's. All I need to do is loosen the vice to slide or angle the 'T' supports depending on the ski. It's not much, but gets the job done quite well for me.

TuningBench009.jpg

'
TuningBench003.jpg

TuningBench004.jpg

TuningBench005.jpg

TuningBench006.jpg

skidmarks

I finally cleaned up my workbench today. I also built these 1'x6" supports. The ones I had before were way small and unsupportive. I'm going to layer them with that spongy non-slip stuff you line the bottom of drawers with. This works great with all 3 of my skis and my wife's. All I need to do is loosen the vice to slide or angle the 'T' supports depending on the ski. It's not much, but gets the job done quite well for me.

Buy a real wax iron! Your skis will be happy for it.

Last edited:

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
By a real wax iron! Your skis will be happy for it.

I got that for $1.99 at a thrift shop, no steam holes and small enough to travel with. I looked up the melt point of the waxes I use and then calibrated my own temp scale using an infrared thermometer.

skidmarks

I got that for $1.99 at a thrift shop, no steam holes and small enough to travel with. I looked up the melt point of the waxes I use and then calibrated my own temp scale using an infrared thermometer.

Just make sure the thermostat keeps the temps steady. How much is an infrared thermometer?

Warp Daddy

an u guys r sophisticated :D:D -- Me i'm a simple tool just moved an old ironing board next to a old table i had in the cellar and suspend the skis between the 2 , and wax and go . Told ya i was a simple tool :D

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Just make sure the thermostat keeps the temps steady. How much is an infrared thermometer?

It's actually pretty stable, but there have been times when I've move the temp selector by accident to find the thing smoking.

A cheap IR thermometer can run about $30 (try Sears), but they are not as accurate. I have a Fluke that I use for work that runs around $200.

Glenn

I'll get a pic of the new setup in VT. It consists of a tarp to catch the wax, my Swix vise and a Black and Decker Workmate table. It works surprisingly well.