• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your tuning workshop.

wa-loaf

I just ordered a Toko vice and some tools from Artech. I'm hoping they'll be here by the weekend and I'll have my tuning station and workbench all set up. I'll post pics once its all set. Anyone else do their own tuning at home? Got pics of your set-up?

Now I just need a mini-fridge and one of those swix beverage tools. :smile:

I;m not handy so a friend whose an experienced tuner...tunes my skis for $$$$ and cases of Birch Beer..all I have is a gummy stone..

no pics...but got a set of swix lasso vices, diamond stones, good files and guides, swix adj temp iron, waxes for all conditions, etc. oh yeah, I've got the all important beverage wrench too! I'll get my skis stoned once, maybe twice per season on average depending on usage. Everyone should have a diamond stone...at the least, to knock off the burrs between shop tunes.

mishka

no pictures. My set-up very simple.instead of vice from scraps of 2x4 and 1x4 made "boot" which clicks into binding and containers of paint to support at ends . Have old adjustable temperature iron which I am going to calibrate temperature this year. Already had all kind of files, diamond stones and sharpening stones. scrapers made from heavy duty plexiglas.
IMHO file take too much edge material to keep edge always sharp. I use knife steel sharpener to keep it is sharp AFTER an initial base and side edge angle established in on shot it sharpened polish and deburr

probably not the best looking set up but effective and cheap.

snowmonster

I tune and wax my skis with my basic set-up which I keep in a shoe box underneath my bed. I have a basic base and side edge tuner, a diamond stone and a gummy stone. For waxing, I have a basic waxing iron, plastic scraper, several fibertex pads, and two kinds of universal wax (one fluorinated, the other softer for cleaning the bases). I also have a couple of jars of rub-on wax for on-slope touch-ups. For base repairs, I have several p-tex candles, a lighter I use for grilling and a steel scraper. I use rubber bands for brake retainers and use two wood chairs to hold the skis.

I think I'm going to upgrade this basic set-up by getting some vises, a sidewall planer, a brush and maybe a base repair tool. A good bench will probably help but I'm getting too ahead of myself. If I go this route, I'm probably tuning my friends' skis and charging them.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I both tune and have a season tune at Basin ski. For tuning make sure you get a file guide preferbly with adjustable angles. I added this bench to my kit last season from http://www.reliableracing.com , much better then securing the vices to my kitchen table :) :

21972.jpg

bigbog

yes....

Yes, love doing it...but no pics(yet;-))...pics of my messy table would make their way around the Web for sure..
ecph...:lol:.."beverage tools"

fwiw, the heat iron has been a real step up from dripping the ptex.

Last edited:

tree_skier

no pics until I do a major cleaning. My set up is a workbench in the garage, a rack that holds up to for pair of skis base up while being tuned, swix vices, toko pro iron, base guide, 3 degree side guides, I use 10' files (order by dozen), diamond stones, gummi stones, roto brush with various brushes, scraper sharpener, assorted scrapers, various base repair tools and an overhead ski storage rack. It will be cleaned up by ski season.

IMHO file take too much edge material to keep edge always sharp.

That's an excellent point...once you set that edge angle you don't want to run a file over it every time...that's when the diamond stone comes in, deburr and you've got a fresh edge without taking more material off each time.

wa-loaf

I finally got my vice set up and since I started this thread I should post the pic:

workshop.jpg

You can consider it a quiver pic as well, although there is not much to show. :-D

Grassi21

Like most skiers I plan on investing some money in tuning equipment at some point. I have a very basic understanding of tuning. Anyway, I was in the hardware store and saw one of these http://stanleytools.com/default.asp...7/8"+MaxSteel™+Multi-Angle+Base+Vise. I thought it was one of the more interesting pieces of hardware I've seen in awhile.

Do you guys who tune your own gear see how this could be used for tuning skis? From what I've seen vices can get expensive. For $35 bucks I would pick up a few of those Stanley's.

BeanoNYC

Like most skiers I plan on investing some money in tuning equipment at some point. I have a very basic understanding of tuning. Anyway, I was in the hardware store and saw one of these http://stanleytools.com/default.asp...7/8"+MaxSteel™+Multi-Angle+Base+Vise. I thought it was one of the more interesting pieces of hardware I've seen in awhile.

Do you guys who tune your own gear see how this could be used for tuning skis? From what I've seen vices can get expensive. For $35 bucks I would pick up a few of those Stanley's.

I think that will work. The top of the vice is wide and flat so it will hold the ski for base work. I would buy two of those for the end vices and a smaller one for the center vice. Ski vices are up and down adjustable though so you can get the ski to sit flat for base work regardless of the ski's cant.

Here' s a few quick cell phone pix of what I got. Sorry bout the quality.

47b7d735b3127ccebc1eb82dba9d00000026108EZt2bFq5c6

47b7d735b3127ccebc1eb8e43b6400000026108EZt2bFq5c6

47b7d735b3127ccebc1eb8e3ba5300000026108EZt2bFq5c6

See the wingnut in the last pic? That's what adjusts the height. You may find the stanley a bit cumbersome.

I have to place an order for wax and such. I'm thinking about getting a sharpener for my wax scrapers too. Anyone have any experience with them?

Grassi21

I think that will work. The top of the vice is wide and flat so it will hold the ski for base work. I would buy two of those for the end vices and a smaller one for the center vice. Ski vices are up and down adjustable though so you can get the ski to sit flat for base work regardless of the ski's cant.

Here' s a few quick cell phone pix of what I got. Sorry bout the quality.

After I poked around more I noticed the ability to adjust the height like you mentioned. I can see how that might get annoying.
See the wingnut in the last pic? That's what adjusts the height. You may find the stanley a bit cumbersome.

I have to place an order for wax and such. I'm thinking about getting a sharpener for my wax scrapers too. Anyone have any experience with them?

BeanoNYC

Grass

You're only looking at 99 bucks for the world cup vice (same vice, different color) .... bout the same if you bought two stanleys and a center vice. Not to mention the tax avoidance by mail ordering.

wa-loaf

My vice was only $65 from Artech. It's a toko. It looks just like the one Beano has so maybe the price has gone down. They also have a 10% off deal for all purchases in September. I just paid for normal shipping and I got it the next day too!

BeanoNYC

My vice was only $65 from Artech. It's a toko. It looks just like the one Beano has so maybe the price has gone down. They also have a 10% off deal for all purchases in September. I just paid for normal shipping and I got it the next day too!

There you go. I was judging the price from Tognar. I believe it's the same vice just different companies branding it. I forget where I got mine, to be quite honest. Great vice though.

wa-loaf

See the wingnut in the last pic? That's what adjusts the height.

It's spring loaded too, so it pops right up when you loosen it. I haven't really put it to the test, but I'm looking forward to doing a lot more tuning this year.