Surfing

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Surfing

Surfing

Any surfers on the board? I'm not one 'yet', but when I moved to Maine last year, I took up body boarding and have found it to be the most enjoyable thing I've ever done to pass the time in summer and keep my jonesing for skiing at bay slightly.

Next year I think I'll step up to the real thing and give it a shot. I've become quite addicted to it and watch the surf cams and surf reports like a hawk so that I can be at the beach when a good swell comes through. And with the water being so damn cold here in Maine, it preps me for the winter.

Unfortunately, the best surf is usually late fall and into the winter up here. There's a suprising number of crazies who wear wet or dry suits and surf in the winter. If it wasn't for skiing, I'd probably end up like them.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Any surfers on the board? I'm not one 'yet', but when I moved to Maine last year, I took up body boarding and have found it to be the most enjoyable thing I've ever done to pass the time in summer and keep my jonesing for skiing at bay slightly.

Next year I think I'll step up to the real thing and give it a shot. I've become quite addicted to it and watch the surf cams and surf reports like a hawk so that I can be at the beach when a good swell comes through. And with the water being so damn cold here in Maine, it preps me for the winter.

Unfortunately, the best surf is usually late fall and into the winter up here. There's a suprising number of crazies who wear wet or dry suits and surf in the winter. If it wasn't for skiing, I'd probably end up like them.
    I live near the beach and like to surf...although it's been a while as it's tough to paddle out with my shoulder injury. I've took up surf kayaking last year. It's a lot easier to paddle out to the action zone and catch a wave.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weir
    "Playing, like a wave upon the sand"
    ~Rich~

I do alot of Surf Kayaking in the summer time.
    104(12/13)
    (13/14)
    48(14/15)
    35(15/16)
    Rossi Soul 7 w/ Marker F12 (188 )
    Blizzard Brahma Limited Edition (180)
    Atomic Redster XT(175)

I own a couple old windsurfers and am getting better. I can see how this can become as addicting as skiing. I have had modest success with real surfing.

None of the following vids feature me:

I'd like to try this

------
    Chris K http://chickenjam.blogspot.com
    The Ski Cheap Or Die Calendar Project -If you have anything that you think should be on the calendar, pm me!

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile.

<--- Surfer... Alot of people think I must snowboard because I surf but I'm a skier. And like Maine LI's best surf comes in the fall. Matter of fact I'm keeping an eye on this storm near Hatteras hopefully we'll have some swell soon. Dry suits are generally considered to bulky so a good thick(5mm) wetsuit w/ a hood + gloves and booties gets me thru the winter when I can not get up to the hills.

Actually the one thing I REALLY want to get into is Kite Surfing. That looks intense, but I hear the gear is very expensive and I wonder where I might get instruction around here.

A decent traction kite, bridles and harness will run about $800 from what I've seen. What's cool about that is that you can then do it on the snow.

The only surfing I do is surfing down waves in sailboats. Kinda like these guys, except not nearly as good:

Making sanity obsolete since 1982...

only $800??? really? wow, I need to look further into this. I was under the impression that it was 3 grand plus to get just basic kite surfing equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    only $800??? really? wow, I need to look further into this. I was under the impression that it was 3 grand plus to get just basic kite surfing equipment.
    No, it's not nearly that expensive. I'd say 1k tops. Basic kite surfing equipment is not far off from advanced equipment. You have the kite, bridles, and control bar (sometimes a sheeting bar on newer kites) and the harness. $400 for a kite, $200 for the control equipment and $200 for a pretty nice harness would be what you need. Of course then you need a board, PFD, and wetsuit if you don't have those already. Sailing gloves would probably be a wise idea as well.
    Making sanity obsolete since 1982...

Bumping up an old thread.

Any surfers out there? My conversation with Cannonball in another thread made me wonder if there are other AZers out there riding the waves.

I'll be surfing on the Lower Cape during weekends until Labor Day. If you see a kook in the line-up, that will be me.
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - H. D. Thoreau

Thread Information