• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Surfing

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I had a windsurfer but it burnt to the ground during a car fire :(

I'd love to try windsurfing again, my dad was big into it. I have a 2nd board at home but no mast / sail any longer.

Never tried regular surfing, I always figured the waves on the east coast weren't that great, but maybe that's great for a beginner? It does look like a lot of fun.

No fear of the great white Snowmonster?

7812shark.jpg

snowmonster

I've been in the water a lot lately on the South Shore. Very warm for this point in the summer.

A few of my colleagues are the ones doing the shark research on the cape right now for the state. They have been seeing A LOT of GWs. They were telling me something interesting the other day that I'd never thought of. They said that the big ones (16') aren't likely to do you any harm. They need to make their attacks calorically worthwhile so they are here for the grey seals and they don't bother with harbor seals or people. And the little babies (<10') are fish eaters with fish-eating teeth that aren't suited for biting people. But at ~10' they lose the baby teeth and get the classic 'shark tooth' and they are ready for bigger prey. But they need to learn from experience what's good to bite and what isn't. So these are the ones that end up "tasting" people! And apparently there are some 10-footers out there.
At this time of year, I'm usually in my shorties. The last 2 weekends, a rash guard and trunks are all I've needed. My attitude is that the sharks are always there. It's part of the hazards of being out there, unfortunately. I do get creeped out when I see a dark shape in the water. Most of the time, it's a seal. There's that split second when your mind is trying to decide whether it's friend or foe and you have that "oh, shit" moment. A regular surfer at Nauset Light was telling me that they had to close the beach a few weeks back because they spotted a shark near one of the buoys. I tend to surf between Nauset Light and Coast Guard far from the crowds.

I had a windsurfer but it burnt to the ground during a car fire :(

I'd love to try windsurfing again, my dad was big into it. I have a 2nd board at home but no mast / sail any longer.

Never tried regular surfing, I always figured the waves on the east coast weren't that great, but maybe that's great for a beginner? It does look like a lot of fun.

No fear of the great white Snowmonster?

View attachment 6306
Fear is a natural reaction. How you channel that fear is up to you. Windsurfing never appealed to me. Too much gear to lug around.

snowmonster

Shark incident off Truro: bodysurfer, Ballston Beach

[h=1]Witnesses: Shark bites swimmer in Truro[/h]By Cape Cod Times
Monday, July 30, 2012 - Added 23 minutes ago

A man was bitten in the ankle by a shark this afternoon while body surfing off Ballson Beach in Truro, according to witnesses, who also reported seeing a shark fin.
Rescue personnel were called to the beach at about 3:30 p.m. after a report of a shark bite. Shark sightings off the Cape have increased markedly in recent years up and down the Outer Cape.

The man was carried off the beach with what appeared to be wounds to at least one of his legs and foot area, a Times reporter said from the scene.
The man was conscious and when asked by the reporter how he was doing he gave the thumbs up.
As of 4:45 p.m. Ballston Beach remained open as officials were still assessing the situation.
Several witnesses reported seeing a shark fin off the popular beach. The victim was body surfing about a third of a mile off the beach.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Isn't a third of a mile pretty far out? My wife would never go to the beach again if she heard this

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

bigbog

Haven't gotten the hang of changing directions...ie swinging the sail around yet. I haven't gotten down to rent the stuff out much in the last 3-4 years... Maybe....maybe...this could be the summer/fall. Wonder how long beach season will go this year.... Just hoping for the drastic turnaround...into Fall.

Bumpsis

I just saw this thread - procrastinating (have a couple of reports to finish). I've been bodyboarding for about 10 years or longer. I am seriously addicted to it and grab any chance to catch a decent swell or even just flat water paddle when it's flat (as it has been for such a long time now).
I took a few surfing lessons during a couple trips to Hawaii but most of the time, the type if waves that we get in MA and RI are usually more enjoyable (ridable) on a bodyboard, so that's my choice for a wave riding tool. On bigger days, when surf is at about 5'-6', I do wish I was more proficient on a surf board since getting out on a bodyboard in really active water is a real bitch.

But even if it's just a windswell and all we get are just closeouts (wave cresting all at once with no ridable shoulder), a bodyboard and good pair of fins can get you a serious full body workout. Bodyboarding, when done well (catching the unbroken wave) can be really demanding, super fun and often, a bit scary. Hold downs, late takeoffs, beach currents, fighting through white water when getting out and sometimes clueless SUP or longboard surfers new to the sport can make the activity pretty exciting. And now, sharks!

I knew that the Great Whites were always there - I do get out of the water or move when there are seals around, but now, it seems like there are more of GWs out there.

I knew that Quatro was a surfer and it's nice to see that others on this board can get pretty serious about ridnig waves and the wind.
I'm usually on the Cape (Marconi, Nausett Light) or even at Nantasket if the swell is coming in. Otherwise if stuff is coming from the south, RI and south facing MA beaches, I am there from spring well into the fall. Looks like the flat spell will be ending. Hurricane forecasts for the rest of the seson got a bit more promissing.

snowmonster

^ Nice to know there's another one of us on these boards.

I also learned to surf in Hawaii then took a very long time off. Got back into riding waves through bodyboarding. I think it's severely underrated as a beach activity. Sure, some kids just ride the whitewater into the shore but, if done right, it's a great way to learn to read and ride waves. I surf mostly at Nauset Light and Coast Guard Beach (actually between Nauset Light and Coast Guard). I usually ride a green longboard. If you see the monster, say hi!

Looks like the sharks are coming in closer that usual. Spotted five feet from shore in Newcomb Hollow. Unnerving.

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/201...e-wellfleet/Ub6b8jajy27bnnzg3mwkIK/story.html

snowmonster

If there are still surfers out there, I hope you haven't put away your boards. Looks like this weekend is going to be stellar. Magic Seaweed is forecasting 4 foot swells on Cape Cod through the weekend because of Tropical Storm Leslie out in the Atlantic. Possible 6 foot swells on Monday. Surf's up!

SKIQUATTRO

swell is starting to show here on Long Island, will be heading out this evening, and everyday till its gone....

SKIQUATTRO

Monster.....might see you out at CG, we have a house in Eastham, those are my spots....heading up mid sept for a few days...

darent

surfs up on nantucket for the last 3 days, all you see is surfboards heading to the beach

SKIQUATTRO

Awesome dawn patrol...in the water 6am, solid waist to chest, light off shores and just peeling down the line.....

snowmonster

I thought my season was done after I packed up from the Cape. You guys are drawing me back in. This weekend in Cape Ann looks promising. Thinking of Good Harbor beach in Gloucester. Any beta? Never been.

SKIQUATTRO

monster....Coast Guard was firing last Sunday, Monday was fun too....has been a great fall so far

Bumpsis

I thought my season was done after I packed up from the Cape. You guys are drawing me back in. This weekend in Cape Ann looks promising. Thinking of Good Harbor beach in Gloucester. Any beta? Never been.

I'm a bit less optimistic about conditions this weekend. Forecasts look small and choppy. Short period waves. Maybe it will push a longboard, but little joy. I haven't been to Good Harbor for a long time but of what I remember, the southern portion of the beach worked a bit like a point break. It's a good place to go just after a nor'easter gets cranking bringing in some solid east swell but the winds are still from the north. The northern part of the beach curves a bit south so you get a bit of shelter from the winds and waves are smoother. But then, it tends to close out, so it can be a less than optimal but better than on the Cape.

I hope you got some this past weekend. I was planning to hit the Cape on Sunday but did not have to. Nantasket beach (closest open ocean beach to me) was just great. Solid chest high on sets, nice peelers and good power. Yet, enough time betweeen sets so getting out wasn't a big fight. Just enough white water so it was a work out :) Off shore winds so the water was pretty smooth.

When swell penetrates all the way to Nantasket, it's one of my favorite places. At mid tide, if the Boston bouy shows 3.5 ft + waves at 10 seconds, you can get some really long rides, especially if the waves peel. This past Sunday they did. I'm still groovin' on that. Great session. Didn't get out until my hamstrigs started to cramp. There was enough of a rip current so staying in right palce took a bit of constant work.

Don't give up on season yet. The tropics should bring at least one more decent wave maker soon and water will stay warm enough for a 3/2 mm rubber for probably another 3 weeks. I'll keep an eye out for a guy with a green longboard :)

SKIQUATTRO

still trunkable down here with a 1mm long sleeve for the mornings....i've been sup surfing the smaller mushy days where i normally wouldnt go out on my 9'0" longboard....having a blast and getting a great core workout at the same time....those who knock SUP surfing have no idea how much harder it is than regular surfing...

snowmonster

I'm a bit less optimistic about conditions this weekend. Forecasts look small and choppy. Short period waves. Maybe it will push a longboard, but little joy. I haven't been to Good Harbor for a long time but of what I remember, the southern portion of the beach worked a bit like a point break. It's a good place to go just after a nor'easter gets cranking bringing in some solid east swell but the winds are still from the north. The northern part of the beach curves a bit south so you get a bit of shelter from the winds and waves are smoother. But then, it tends to close out, so it can be a less than optimal but better than on the Cape.

I hope you got some this past weekend. I was planning to hit the Cape on Sunday but did not have to. Nantasket beach (closest open ocean beach to me) was just great. Solid chest high on sets, nice peelers and good power. Yet, enough time betweeen sets so getting out wasn't a big fight. Just enough white water so it was a work out :) Off shore winds so the water was pretty smooth.

When swell penetrates all the way to Nantasket, it's one of my favorite places. At mid tide, if the Boston bouy shows 3.5 ft + waves at 10 seconds, you can get some really long rides, especially if the waves peel. This past Sunday they did. I'm still groovin' on that. Great session. Didn't get out until my hamstrigs started to cramp. There was enough of a rip current so staying in right palce took a bit of constant work.

Don't give up on season yet. The tropics should bring at least one more decent wave maker soon and water will stay warm enough for a 3/2 mm rubber for probably another 3 weeks. I'll keep an eye out for a guy with a green longboard :)
Not giving up on the season by a long shot. Made plans to head down to Cape Ann or Matunuck (opposite directions, I know) for Sunday. Will make a game time decision. Friend needs company in the waves and I'm happy to oblige. Didn't go out last weekend because I needed to do all the chores that I've been putting off because of the summer. Glad you guys got some.

Thanks for the beta on Good Harbor. If I hit Nantasket, I'll let you know. I'll defeinitely be up on the Cape Columbus Day weekend. Coast Guard Beach. If I don't have the green longboard, look for the kook with the blue funboard.
still trunkable down here with a 1mm long sleeve for the mornings....i've been sup surfing the smaller mushy days where i normally wouldnt go out on my 9'0" longboard....having a blast and getting a great core workout at the same time....those who knock SUP surfing have no idea how much harder it is than regular surfing...
Never knocked SUPs. As long as you're riding, it's all good. My only problem are the runaway SUPs. Man, those things can really hurt! If you're still on the Cape, I'll be there on Columbus Day.