• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Breakfast thread...

i'd hate to see the centerfold in that publication.

Well all the funeral directors are having a big convention in Las Vegas this year..you know what they say "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas"..:razz:

on the breakfast thread...what are everybodies favorite types of Omelattes..

Mine is Ham, cheddar, tomato, with salsa on the side...with a side of bacon and some rye toast..:beer:

ctenidae

I prefer regular coffee to lattes, even Omelattes.
Omelets, though, I don't like much. Too eggy- I get all "greased out" very quickly eating omelets. Two fried eggs and corned beef hash I can do. a 2 egg omelet with cheese and ham, not so much. I do like the flavor, though.

drjeff

Well all the funeral directors are having a big convention in Las Vegas this year..you know what they say "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas"..:razz:

Mine is Ham, cheddar, tomato, with salsa on the side...with a side of bacon and some rye toast..:beer:

There's about 30,000 dentists in San Francisco for the next week for our national convention. Wasn't as appealing to me as last year when it was in Vegas (about 50,000 went to that one). Next year, San Antonio, likely for me, '09 in Honolulu, DEFINITE attendance :)

As for omlettes, I'm a fan of the ham, cheddar, onion and tomato with a little salsa on top. Throw in a couple of slices of whole wheat toast and a little strawberry jelly and I'm a happy camper!

Grassi21

in my house an omelette can have anything that is left over in the fridge. i like to add sauteed onions. i sub the onions for shallots when i have them on hand. they have a milder taste than the onion. some memorable omelette add ins:

left-over empanada filling
chilli and cheese
oven roasted cauliflower that was coated in bread crumbs
oven roasted zucchini that was coated in bread crumbs
oven roasted asparagus that was coated in bread crumbs (seeing a theme here)
mushrooms that were sauteed in olive oil, garlic, and thyme and some goat cheese
left over sausage and peppers
andouille sausage
kielbasa
roasted potatoes
best one of all, left over prime rib from x-mas dinner. now that's some steak and eggs.

bill2ski

in my house an omelette can have anything that is left over in the fridge. i like to add sauteed onions. i sub the onions for shallots when i have them on hand. they have a milder taste than the onion. some memorable omelette add ins:

left-over empanada filling
chilli and cheese
oven roasted cauliflower that was coated in bread crumbs
oven roasted zucchini that was coated in bread crumbs
oven roasted asparagus that was coated in bread crumbs (seeing a theme here)
mushrooms that were sauteed in olive oil, garlic, and thyme and some goat cheese
left over sausage and peppers
andouille sausage
kielbasa
roasted potatoes
best one of all, left over prime rib from x-mas dinner. now that's some steak and eggs.

You and I think alike. I often plan a meal with the leftovers in mind, Some things are better as leftovers like American chop suey.
I prefer eggs Benedict to an omelet and the variations run the gambit just the same.
My fav is a Thomas sandwich size English muffin ,a can of Mary Kitchen corned beef hash and poached eggs all dripping in Hollandaise sauce. Not all for myself, of course ;-)

There's about 30,000 dentists in San Francisco for the next week for our national convention. Wasn't as appealing to me as last year when it was in Vegas (about 50,000 went to that one). Next year, San Antonio, likely for me, '09 in Honolulu, DEFINITE attendance :)

As for omlettes, I'm a fan of the ham, cheddar, onion and tomato with a little salsa on top. Throw in a couple of slices of whole wheat toast and a little strawberry jelly and I'm a happy camper!

Honolulu is nice..I stayed in the Mariott in Waikiki last summer,,and it was a great trip...definitely check out the North Shore and Diamond Head..

To keep with the breakfast thread..they had a great breakfast buffet which included an Omelatte bar, waffle bar, all the various breakfast meats, rice, fruit, pastries, and even sushi and miso soup..it was like 22 bucks which is alot but that was breakfast and lunch..and you could sneak out a muffin or eclair for later..

Grassi21

You and I think alike. I often plan a meal with the leftovers in mind, Some things are better as leftovers like American chop suey.
I prefer eggs Benedict to an omelet and the variations run the gambit just the same.
My fav is a Thomas sandwich size English muffin ,a can of Mary Kitchen corned beef hash and poached eggs all dripping in Hollandaise sauce. Not all for myself, of course ;-)

London broil, pork roast, whole chicken, pork shoulder... can't beat cooking meat once and using 2 or even 3 times.

bill2ski

London broil, pork roast, whole chicken, pork shoulder... can't beat cooking meat once and using 2 or even 3 times.

I'm lucky enough to be buddy's with a guy who owns a smokehouse. So, I load up on cuts ,cheese's and nuts a few times a year. A whole smoked turkey has semi permanent residence in my fridge as it has a shelf life of about a year.

Grassi21

I'm lucky enough to be buddy's with a guy who owns a smokehouse. So, I load up on cuts ,cheese's and nuts a few times a year. A whole smoked turkey has semi permanent residence in my fridge as it has a shelf life of about a year.

Good man. I'm in up in the air between buying a small smoker or making a larger one myself out of a 55 gallon drum.

bill2ski

Good man. I'm in up in the air between buying a small smoker or making a larger one myself out of a 55 gallon drum.

An old fridge works great ,if you cold smoke,(low heat,long set) a small electric burner pan and some wet wood chips is all you need. The plastic coated racks are perfect with a little pre smoking they season up and the items won't stick.Getting it dialed in so you hit the target temp is a little tricky. You can drill vents and screw on the bottom of a coffee can as a damper, it's crude but it gets the job done. If you plan on smoking in the winter a steel drum sucks up a lot of BTU's and can make for inconsistent quality unless you rotate the stock, which intern forces you to open it up, causing heat loss and delays the uptake of smoke into the item being cured. A fridge is insulated so heat loss is minimized

Grassi21

An old fridge works great ,if you cold smoke,(low heat,long set) a small electric burner pan and some wet wood chips is all you need. The plastic coated racks are perfect with a little pre smoking they season up and the items won't stick.Getting it dialed in so you hit the target temp is a little tricky. You can drill vents and screw on the bottom of a coffee can as a damper, it's crude but it gets the job done. If you plan on smoking in the winter a steel drum sucks up a lot of BTU's and can make for inconsistent quality unless you rotate the stock, which intern forces you to open it up, causing heat loss and delays the uptake of smoke into the item being cured. A fridge is insulated so heat loss is minimized

I do have one of those college fridges lying around that is dead. Its not the really small one, but nowhere near full size. Hmmmmmm

bill2ski

I do have one of those college fridges lying around that is dead. Its not the really small one, but nowhere near full size. Hmmmmmm

That's the ticket You'll be anjoying smoked salmon spread on your bagel in no time.
( this is a breakfast thread )
We almost hijacked this thread

sledhaulingmedic

Purists call say it's cheating, but I'm partial to the Big Green Egg. It's all ceramic, so it's very well insulated (think: Space shuttle tiles). Uses very little wood, even in winter, and it's really easy to control the temp.

BBQQuiver.jpg

Done2.jpg

Grassi21

Purists call say it's cheating, but I'm partial to the Big Green Egg. It's all ceramic, so it's very well insulated (think: Space shuttle tiles). Uses very little wood, even in winter, and it's really easy to control the temp.

A shop near me sells the Green Egg. Very intriguing. Nice set-up BTW.

Grassi21

And to bring things back on topic...

In HS only seniors had parking spots on campus. As juniors we would park in the commuter lot near the HS. Due to the large # of jurors who drove it was hard to find a spot as the first bell approached. A group of us starting doing a breakfast tailgate every Friday. We would use a small propane grill and cook up egg sandwiches. Someone would always grab some donuts, bagels, and coffee etc. It turned into a real party in the spring. Sophomores and freshman started showing up. People started getting drunk before school. It was a real scene.

Leftover NY strip steak, goldfish pretzals, water, berry drink....Breakfast #1

5th Avenue candy bar, chips, diet ginger ale..........breakfast #2..

I have a cold and a ravanous appetite right now..all I can think of is Kentucky Fried Chicken...

drjeff

A splurge today, a DD bacon, egg and cheese on a wheat bagel and a Coke Zero. Still 2+ hours later feels like I have a 10lb brick in my stomach :puke: