• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Twin Tips or Regular? What's your preference?

prisnah

I like the twin tips most days, but mine are kinda fat so I run into problems occasionally on icy days, especially in the bumps....guess that's why I gotta keep a set of carvers in the quiver. But I like how they allow me to float in and out of powder a bit easier and let me jib if I wanna without fear of damage because of the thicker base.

How's about youz?

TwinTips21

The name says it all, but both are great for what they are made for. If you want to hit jumps and have a little more fun on the skis i suggest twintips if not get a basic carving ski. I use both throughout the season depending on what type of mood I'm in.

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
It'd be cool if manufaturers made a twin tip with a turning radius of about 13. I'd be all about it. But until then, I have to use carving skis when I'm teaching and twin tips when I'm in the park and the woods.

TwinTips21

The landings seem a lot smoother and this could be because they are wider. It could also be because of the bindings and boots I used with my twintips, I'm not sure. I definitely noticed a difference when skiing in powder or through the woods, a lot better with the twintips.

Ahahaha..yeah..alot of the PASRs are on twins..and my first order of business at the start of each run is tucking to get ahead of them so I don't get sugar coated with snow. For those that use twin-tips, do you keep them center mountain..or mounted farther back like all mountain/race skis?

snoseek

most skis i'm interested in just happen to be twin tips. sideslipping is a bit easier.

koreshot

I am surprised nobody mentioned a nice trait that twins have, tails not hanging up as much, plus more options in very tight spots. I think the manufacturers have caught up and started making their all mountain and big mounain skis with semi twins. they just seem to ski better in choppy snow ... to me anyway.

that said, once i dump my public enemy skis, i will no longer own a legitimate twin tip cause i don't do any switch stuff. But all but one of my skis have some sort of turned up tail.

millerm277

I like regular skis better, and when skiing with other people it's much nicer because one person or the other is always getting sprayed with snow if you're skiing close together with twin-tips.

jarrodski

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.skisundown.com
For straight airs...are there any benfits to twin-tips over race/carving skis?

yes. New designs allow the ski to "pop" off kickers differently than standard skis designed to maintain contact with snow. There is a different technique used for leaving take offs to maximize their effectiveness, and once you get that down, you'll never want to go back.

As for how a ski handles all mountain . . . in my opinion, if you're not racing, then you can ride twin tips all mountain. Some do a better job than others, but most will do just fine. www.freeskier.com for the 08 review. Look into something like the Prophet 100 from Line for more of a big mountain feel, the Volkl Wall for more park.... the Liberty Helix for something inbetween....

jarrodski

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.skisundown.com
I am surprised nobody mentioned a nice trait that twins have, tails not hanging up as much, plus more options in very tight spots. I think the manufacturers have caught up and started making their all mountain and big mounain skis with semi twins. they just seem to ski better in choppy snow ... to me anyway.

that said, once i dump my public enemy skis, i will no longer own a legitimate twin tip cause i don't do any switch stuff. But all but one of my skis have some sort of turned up tail.

Al?

jarrodski

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.skisundown.com
Ahahaha..yeah..alot of the PASRs are on twins..and my first order of business at the start of each run is tucking to get ahead of them so I don't get sugar coated with snow. For those that use twin-tips, do you keep them center mountain..or mounted farther back like all mountain/race skis?

Proper mount -

The skis were designed to ski from a certain spot... Some of the newer boards have options, and that's where I'd opt for the forward spot, but otherwise, where ever the line is, that's where I mount them. Just so you know.. I ski park every single day now that I am limited to Sundown. I used to use the Line Motherships, Bandit B2's and Line Dark Sides (I'm Darth Niel-ice) which were all mounted proper for use in the trees and bombing the front 4 during my stint in Vermont.

skiNEwhere

Just got my first pair of twin tips this season, was tired of catching an edge when landing backwards with my old ski's

I'm hoping to pick up a pair of Phat twins at the Nestors used ski sale this evening..for under $200 with binders..