• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Busted by the Patrol..anybody ever get busted??

Hey All,

Has anybody ever been kicked out of a ski area for not following the rules? I've been warned for skiing closed trails a few times but only kicked out once. Several years back I poached upper Organgrinder at Sugarbush and when I got to the bottom..on Downspout..there were three red-coats waiting for me. Since it was early season..with downloading..I still had to ride the Heavens gate triple to the top..then ski down Jester to the Sugar Bravo for downloading..Wow I never skied upper Jester so fast..lol..I got busted for poaching Hayride at Stowe but got off with a warning. At Bridger Bowl a handicapped skier..skied right into me and crashed and I ended up being the one who got the warning..I don't think the patroller liked when I said,"Those retarded skiers should watch where they're going"..lol..and I got put in the database. Speaking of database..me and Atomic Jeff from PASR were stopped by red-coat circle jerker Mark Miller at Blue two seasons ago for fast skiing on Paradise..while he was talking to us...we both took off in a tuck and got chased but he caught us by the liftline and his pen was frozen..lol..but we got put in the database...lol...I hope my run ins with the red-coats are over..Anybody here have any ski patroller encounters????

Paul

Has anybody ever been kicked out of a ski area for not following the rules?

No, but I have a feeling you may get kicked-out of the hiking Forum in favor of the Skiing one.

Y'know, the Red-Coats like to keep things on-topic. ;-)

Greg

Staff member
GSS is the master of posting in the wrong forum..... :roll:

Moving to skiing...

Kerovick

I used to get warnings all the time back in the day for jumping. This was of course when it was actually against the rules.

2knees

GSS is the master of posting in the wrong forum..... :roll:

Moving to skiing...

i like to move it move it.

Got busted once. At camelback of all places for skiing a closed run. Took me to the patrol shack and made me watch a ski safety video.

JimG.

Staff member
Magic, last season.

Patroller at lift: "And if I see you guys poach Redline again you aren't skiing all weekend."

Greg

Staff member
Magic, last season.

Patroller at lift: "And if I see you guys poach Redline again you aren't skiing all weekend."

Bad boy. Very bad boy...

2knees

Magic, last season.

lol, i thought his quote was "the next run down redline will be your last run of the day."

2knees

Dude, that lift ride was our last run regardless.

Nah, we got threatened with the weekend ban.

i'm sure you're right, it was funny regardless.

he couldnt have been to pleased about my response when he was riding the lift above us.

patroller : fellas, you're skiing a closed trail

Me: but there was no sign.

patroller : what about the rope and bamboo.

or something like that.

Greg

Staff member
Dude, that lift ride was our last run regardless.

Nah, we got threatened with the weekend ban.

It was weak because they opened Redline the next day (Saturday) anyway. I don't normally poach, but I had no problem with it that day because it was so obvious they were simply saving snow. I mean, come on, does this look even remotely questionable:

IMG_1897_001.jpg

:blink:

i'm sure you're right, it was funny regardless.

he couldnt have been to pleased about my response when he was riding the lift above us.

patroller : fellas, you're skiing a closed trail

Me: but there was no sign.

patroller : what about the rope and bamboo.

or something like that.

Well, in your/our defense, there was a ~2' break in between the bamboo with some tracks going through there. Honest mistake... ;)

gymnast46

Website
www.suburbansport.com
Already posted this on "best day on skis" topic but worth repeating

My brother Jake had just gotten out of Joliet and we loaded up the Bluesmobile with his skis and my board and headed for Kmart. Unfortunately the day ended just like the movie did....

4ytzh9g.jpg

4kjivkk.jpg

Elwood

PA Ridge Racer

Never kicked out. I got yelled at once because a patroller, riding on the lift, at Jack Frost THOUGHT I was heading down a closed trail, although all I was doing was scoping out the "Mad Tree Glade"...which was open but a bit icy and is next to the closed trail. When he came around I told him I was thinking about heading into the glade not skiing the closed trail. He said something to the effect of oh it's open, I wouldn't go in there but do what you want.

Greg

Staff member
We had a cool redcoat at the Beast tell us we could ski a closed trail if we wanted to. He said, "it's pretty ugly", ski another trail down, and waited at the bottom for us. It was one of the best powder runs of the day (a narrow corridor right along the trees)! When I got down to him I said, "your definition of 'ugly' is far different than mine..."

wa-loaf

I took out a whole ski school class in California when I was 19. Skiing too fast went over a rise got back on my tails and there they were all lined up. I took the first two out at the boots and then rest came down like dominos. Nobody was hurt. The instructor was pissed and wanted to pull my pass (probably rightly so), but i came up with some excuse for the ski patrol and got away with a warning.

i like to move it move it.

Got busted once. At camelback of all places for skiing a closed run. Took me to the patrol shack and made me watch a ski safety video.

That happened to me as well at Camelwack..those rangers in the yellow jackets are Nazis but the video was informative.

Out west I got the skiing too fast lecture a couple times.

On Paradise at Blue..they station Patrollers in the blind spots around the corners to whistle at fast skiers. If you are making lots of quick short turns at 10mph..you'll get whistled at so when I know there are patrollers on the trail..I get into a 15mph turkey tuck with my poles in the air and a power wedge with a look of terror on my face and they never whistle..it's hilarious

JimG.

Staff member
I took out a whole ski school class in California when I was 19. Skiing too fast went over a rise got back on my tails and there they were all lined up. I took the first two out at the boots and then rest came down like dominos. Nobody was hurt. The instructor was pissed and wanted to pull my pass (probably rightly so), but i came up with some excuse for the ski patrol and got away with a warning.

I met Steve Gottlieb, a Hunter instructor, as follows:

Headed down Upper K27 to scope out Lower K...still looked a little firm so I continued on East Side; Steve was about 300 feet from the entrance to Lower K with a class and he had just pulled a student out of line. He was traversing across the hill and had stopped. I left the top of Lower K and started straightlining the entrance and looking down Lower K. When I looked up, I was going pretty fast and there was this skier in my way. I just grabbed him and we both came out of our skis. I think we slid about 200 feet. When I looked up, his skis were still where he started, lined up across the fall line. My skis had flown off the trail and were against the fence.

Pretty embarrassing.