• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Elan Magfire 12 vs Volkl AC3

thebigo

Im going to be picking up a new all mountain ski this year, I have found both models in my size range. Both were demos with less than 10 days on them and they are both in excellent condition.

The volkls are an additional $150. Is it worth it? For the price difference I can justify a crotched night pass.

Being similar skis Im not sure the type of skier matters but I ski the trees when i can, some bumps and 1-2 trips out west per year. Not really into groomers, carving or speed.

Im going to be picking up a new all mountain ski this year, I have found both models in my size range. Both were demos with less than 10 days on them and they are both in excellent condition.

The volkls are an additional $150. Is it worth it? For the price difference I can justify a crotched night pass.

Being similar skis Im not sure the type of skier matters but I ski the trees when i can, some bumps and 1-2 trips out west per year. Not really into groomers, carving or speed.

I've got AC3s and I've skied the Magfire 12 a few times...both great skis. The whole point of buying skis is to get out and ski on them...so spend the extra $150 on the night pass and maximize your time on the hill.

madskier6

What are you skiing on now? What are you looking for in a new ski - a change from what you have or something similar?

I definitely agree with previous posters that if it's a toss-up, go for spending the money on a pass. But what are you looking for in your new skis, only to save some cash$$?

thebigo

What are you skiing on now? What are you looking for in a new ski - a change from what you have or something similar?

For the last two years I primarily skied the Volkl 724 PRO. They have approximately 75 days on them and are now only useful as rock skis. I tend to pick up a new pair of demo skis every year because I destroy skis.

I havent skied ac3's or the magfires, but in searching for a pair of demos this year these are the two all mountain skis that I could find in good condition, that are the right price and size.

The sales guy was really trying to push the elans on me as a comparable ski for a smaller price, I came here for an additional opinion before putting down the cash. I should have phrased the question as 'does anybody think the volkls differentiate themselves enough from the elans to justify the increased price'.

Thanks for the input.

'does anybody think the volkls differentiate themselves enough from the elans to justify the increased price'.

Thanks for the input.
I don't think there's enough of a diff for you to give up night skiing for the volkls. If you liked the 724 Pro, either ski is going to be comparable...better in all conditions, but still comparable...like an upgrade vs a full change.

I might buy the Elan Magfire 12 in a 176 off someone from Epicski..for cheap.like $350-400 with binders..but a few days on them..they look like sick skis..even better than the S12s