• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Dinner thread...What's cooking...

deadheadskier

Staff member
this sounds damn good! wholesome, simple, and balanced.

It certainly was, but not as good as tonight's dinner...

I had Porcelet two ways. First attempt at it and did pretty well with it. I'm the only person in NA you can buy Porcelet off of and I spent my day today going to 8 of the finest restaurants between Portsmouth and Portland with the actual farmers who produce the product for my company in Quebec. It's completely unique. The only comparison I can make is that Porcelet is to Pig as Veal is to Cow. For all you folks who are anti-veal out there, if you buy from the right farm, it's no more inhumane then typicaly beef treatment.

Porcelet is 100% hot milk fed baby yorkshire pig slaughtered at 10 weeks. I know that sounds rough to some, but the reality is that 90% of the pork you buy at the grocery store was slaughtered at 24 weeks. It's not that much of a difference and the treatement of the animals is as humane as you can find.

So after spending my day with the farmers talking to chefs, I came home with a portion of loin that extended down to the belly. It was the bottom portion of the loin/tenderloin area, chain bone still in tact and then the rest of the primal cut including all of the belly. I went simple with the loin chops, just salt and pepper, roasting it on high heat. The belly I separated and rubbed with maple syrup, brown sugar and cinamon then quick seared it. F'n georgeous, skin carmelized and crisped up like candy.

Put the simply prepared loin chop along side my seared belly, through in some roast potatoes and the snowpeas I had left over from last night and wa'la - kick ass dinner to top off a kick ass day. The chef's were delighted to meet the actual family farmers who put the product in their walk ins. We're talking 8 people who are passoniate about their product and offer something so unique. Great day for me as a foodie - unbelievable day

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Wow...I didn't realize it could increase that much from one year to the next... My last check a few years ago was in the 180s...I'm due for another check at my next physical in November, although the cholesterol check is usually not the thing that bothers me, if you know what I mean.
It can fluctuate a lot from month to month, actually. Mine went up a lot while pregnant with our oldest (it was tested pre- and post-pregnancy, and 1 year post-partum). Within 1 year, I had it down to a low normal figure. I think it dropped 90 points, if that's any indication of the fluctuation possible. Granted, I was eating a lot of fast food while pregnant and when I was retested 1 year post-partum, I had just completed 3 months free of fast food and a complete revamp of my lifestyle. But 90 points is huge.

Back on topic, made that chili tonight; 1/2 ground beef, 1/2 ground lamb, fresh organic bell peppers from the CSA we joined this year, fresh organic onions from the CSA, canned organic diced tomatoes, canned organic tomato sauce, dark & light kidney beans, and black beans - and a lot of seasoning. A little too much, actually. We're not into spicy foods normally and I usually make it on the milder side. Then again, I also usually cheat and use jarred salsa instead of fresh onions and peppers. :oops:

snoseek

It certainly was, but not as good as tonight's dinner...

I had Porcelet two ways. First attempt at it and did pretty well with it. I'm the only person in NA you can buy Porcelet off of and I spent my day today going to 8 of the finest restaurants between Portsmouth and Portland with the actual farmers who produce the product for my company in Quebec. It's completely unique. The only comparison I can make is that Porcelet is to Pig as Veal is to Cow. For all you folks who are anti-veal out there, if you buy from the right farm, it's no more inhumane then typicaly beef treatment.

Porcelet is 100% hot milk fed baby yorkshire pig slaughtered at 10 weeks. I know that sounds rough to some, but the reality is that 90% of the pork you buy at the grocery store was slaughtered at 24 weeks. It's not that much of a difference and the treatement of the animals is as humane as you can find.

So after spending my day with the farmers talking to chefs, I came home with a portion of loin that extended down to the belly. It was the bottom portion of the loin/tenderloin area, chain bone still in tact and then the rest of the primal cut including all of the belly. I went simple with the loin chops, just salt and pepper, roasting it on high heat. The belly I separated and rubbed with maple syrup, brown sugar and cinamon then quick seared it. F'n georgeous, skin carmelized and crisped up like candy.

Put the simply prepared loin chop along side my seared belly, through in some roast potatoes and the snowpeas I had left over from last night and wa'la - kick ass dinner to top off a kick ass day. The chef's were delighted to meet the actual family farmers who put the product in their walk ins. We're talking 8 people who are passoniate about their product and offer something so unique. Great day for me as a foodie - unbelievable day

sounds like a nice perk. This is new to me, is there a big difference between this and a normal piglet? who is the farmer?

deadheadskier

Staff member
sounds like a nice perk. This is new to me, is there a big difference between this and a normal piglet? who is the farmer?

St-Canut Farms is where the pigs are raised. The difference in tenderness between this and normal piglet is pretty amazing. The only way I've experienced fall off the bone tenderness in normal pig would be to braise or smoke it at low heat for 5+ hours. Even then I would still consider the texture of this pig to be more delicate and the flavor more sweet. It most certainly has to do with the 100% milk feeding as opposed to grain.

Bump..todays my lucky day because I'll probably end up with two Dinners. Today was a delivery day and I just had some peanut butter crackers and peanut MnMs in the truck. When I got out of work...I went to Nicks Diner and had one of the dinner specials for $7.95...Garlic Chicken breast over rice with corn....roll..and creamy chicken soup....and a big mo-fo iced Tea..Rachel Ray would have loved the meal..lol But that was at like 4:00PM so I'm thinking of a light late meal..maybe some Shrimp Cocktail from Wegmans and a bagel or salad..The cocktail sauce is spicy but luckily I have over 100 ounces of leftover budweiser in my fridge...Wow would life suck if there wasn't food..

Galubke is a Polish dish- basically stuffed cabbage. Tasty stuff.

Cool...I've never heard of it before but I'll have to try it sometime...

I continue to have a ravonous appetite..maybe it's the onset of cooler weather but all I can think about right now is food...

After work I'm going to the local bar and chowing down...maybe some bacon cheddar fries or wings..or both..Franciskanner Fridays are the bomb deezy but I think I'm going to start with a bloody Mary...

sledhaulingmedic

I destroyed the kitchen last night cooking a winter's worth of shreded mexican pork. Pork and rice burritos tonight. (With green chile and cheese.)

snoseek

I have some friends coming over for tonight and i'm cooking a very lengthy dinner. all the plates will be small with spacing in between. they are all under specific orders not to eat after 11 am and do what it takes to induce the munchies about 1 hour before dinner. this will be the first real food i've cooked at home in a very long time, usually its just very simple food at home for me or more often than not i eat at work. here goes.

Salad course-bitter greens with roasted apples, pepitas (pumpkin seeds), cave aged cheddar, maple cider vinagrette homemade rolls

fish couse1-butter poached lobster, vanilla seed risotto

fish course2-seared sea scallops, truffle potato ravioli, white wine fish sauce

little cocktail break- smoked duck breast, port fig reduction

meat course-braised bison short ribs, grilled cipolinni onion, root vegetable hash, 20 yr old baslamic

dessert- warm apple crisp, homemade pumpkin ice cream, drops of walnut oil

they are bringing the wine

i spent the better part of the day prepping all of this so now i just have to cook some stuff and assemble it. i probably could have taken them all out to eat cheaper, but i don't do this very often and i'm outta here in a few weeks.

I have some friends coming over for tonight and i'm cooking a very lengthy dinner. all the plates will be small with spacing in between. they are all under specific orders not to eat after 11 am and do what it takes to induce the munchies about 1 hour before dinner. this will be the first real food i've cooked at home in a very long time, usually its just very simple food at home for me or more often than not i eat at work. here goes.

Salad course-bitter greens with roasted apples, pepitas (pumpkin seeds), cave aged cheddar, maple cider vinagrette homemade rolls

meat course-braised bison short ribs, grilled cipolinni onion, root vegetable hash, 20 yr old baslamic

i spent the better part of the day prepping all of this so now i just have to cook some stuff and assemble it. i probably could have taken them all out to eat cheaper, but i don't do this very often and i'm outta here in a few weeks.

Wow that sounds awesome..but how will they be able to induce the munchies???:blink:

I think I might get some Chinese food tonight...

sledhaulingmedic

Smoking a Salmon Fillet in the BGE, Perhaps some Long grain and wild rice. Need to think of a veg. A couple of Corozon de Agave and (mixer to be detirmined). Nothing too fancy.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com

What an elaborate meal! How did it go?

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Went for a hike today up at Minnewaska then had some lunch and then in the woods for a bike ride so I was quite hungry. Cooked up some spinich and cheese tortellini and made a homemade pesto sauce. Super yummy: Fresh basil, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, pine nuts, freshy grated Pecorino-Romano and Parmigiano-Reggiano, a bit of salt and pepper and voila, all of about 5 - 10 mins. Also had steamed broccolli and cauliflower.

snoseek

What an elaborate meal! How did it go?

very good. tonight i had chicken wings, with leftover root veggie hash, and spinach (back to normal)

I think tomorrow i'll have peas and pasta (have leftover pasta dough from ravioli)