• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Dinner thread...What's cooking...

mlctvt

We're having vegetarian guests over so the wife says it's butternut squash lasagna and some shrimp fra diavolo for dinner. Sounds funny but it'll probably be great. It's nice being married to someone who loves to cook, and ski, and bike , and hike . I better stop I'm bragging again.

layla17

The shrimp fra diavolo sounds amazing. I've never had butternut squash lasagna, but it sounds interesting.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
No clue tonight. I have to go out at some point to pick up Brian (no idea when) so that made it difficult to plan. I'm also supposed to be back to eating healthier. But it's the last thing I feel like doing right now. :(

snoseek

Tomorrow night's dinner is going to be good. I got some really nice domestic lamb racks (really fat eye, good flavor) that I'm going to grill whole over charcoal. They are marinating right now in Harissa (north african chili garlic type paste) and evoo with some herbs. They're going with isreali cous cous (the big pearl stuff) mixed with spinach, tomato and fava beans. I have a whole pomegrante that I'm not sure where and what to do yet, maybe a pan sauce of some sort.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Tomorrow night's dinner is going to be good. I got some really nice domestic lamb racks (really fat eye, good flavor) that I'm going to grill whole over charcoal. They are marinating right now in Harissa (north african chili garlic type paste) and evoo with some herbs. They're going with isreali cous cous (the big pearl stuff) mixed with spinach, tomato and fava beans. I have a whole pomegrante that I'm not sure where and what to do yet, maybe a pan sauce of some sort.
Wowsers! I don't think our home has ever seen such gourmet fare!

Ended up with frozen veggies mix (baby potatoes, baby carrots, broccoli, red peppers), a little butter, and some pecans.

snoseek

Wowsers! I don't think our home has ever seen such gourmet fare!

Ended up with frozen veggies mix (baby potatoes, baby carrots, broccoli, red peppers), a little butter, and some pecans.

This is not normal for us-special occasion g.f.'s family coming into town-one of my few responsilities for the week. Usually we try to eat wholesome, simple and good food. I try to make it as cheap as possible, so scratch cooking is the way to go. We will make everthing from pasta, bread crumbs, salad dressing ect.. and manage to do it with very few ingredients in the house-this saves a ton of money. I try to make it not taste like restaurant food, because that's all I eat all summer-it royally blows (yes even fine dining, you wouldn't beleive how much butter, salt ect... in the food-thats what people want, but can't bring themselves to put so much in their own food).

Tonight is actually eggplant parm.

ctenidae

Sushi tonight. Yellowtail was particularly tasty.

That lamb sounds good, snoseek. One day I'll convince my wife that, if she tried it, she might like it.

deadheadskier

Staff member

Curious how much those domestics cost you per pound? They are difficult to come by on the east cost, but I believe most of the producers are in Colorado, so perhaps it's reasonable there?

What's the size of the rack? I sell Aussie 28+'s that at largest top out around 32oz for around $12/lb, so typically sold in stores for $18+/lb.

I love the big fat eye's, but typically buy the 22-26oz racks at around $10.75. Well, guess it would be $15 in a store. I just find they're the perfect serving size for two, giving four nice chops.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sushi tonight. Yellowtail was particularly tasty.

That lamb sounds good, snoseek. One day I'll convince my wife that, if she tried it, she might like it.

If you're trying to turn your wife on to lamb, stay away from New Zealand. That is by far the the gamiest and one of the reasons many get turned off.

I believe you live in Boston? If you'd like you're wife to get into lamb, go to Savenor's in Cambridge and have them order you some D'Artagnan lamb shanks, they're fantastic when prepared correctly.

Once you get them, ask me or better yet the chef, snoseek, how to prepare them. You're wife will be requesting lamb often after you do.

snoseek

Find a good "blanquette of lamb" recipe and make it for her. Don't tell her it's lamb-she won't know. If you blanch the lamb before you make the stew that will get rid of a lot of the blood and the flavor will be mild.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Tonight is actually eggplant parm.

Berkshire Pork Loin Parm cigars here.

Got a whole loin in last week and butchered it up for many different applications; roasts, stew meat, steaks and some thin slices for tonights dish

Pounded em out, egg washed em and dredged them with a bread crumb, parm mix, rolled them up with spinach inside (hence the 'cigars') roasted them off in the oven and topped with a nice tomato, basil cream

good stuff

snoseek

Curious how much those domestics cost you per pound? They are difficult to come by on the east cost, but I believe most of the producers are in Colorado, so perhaps it's reasonable there?

What's the size of the rack? I sell Aussie 28+'s that at largest top out around 32oz for around $12/lb, so typically sold in stores for $18+/lb.

I love the big fat eye's, but typically buy the 22-26oz racks at around $10.75. Well, guess it would be $15 in a store. I just find they're the perfect serving size for two, giving four nice chops.

G.F. bought them, big big bucks-she won't tell me, yes they're from Colorado. I used to buy Colorado lamb from campco-again big bucks. Eye is so freakin big I love it! I picked up some u4-8 shrimp also, they're like lobster tails! I miss working with this kind of stuff, soon enough I guess. I have seen some pretty big Aussie racks, I swear American lamb priced itself right out of the market.

snoseek

Berkshire Pork Loin Parm cigars here.

Got a whole loin in last week and butchered it up for many different applications; roasts, stew meat, steaks and some thin slices for tonights dish

Pounded em out, egg washed em and dredged them with a bread crumb, parm mix, rolled them up with spinach inside (hence the 'cigars') roasted them off in the oven and topped with a nice tomato, basil cream

good stuff

My girlfriend would really like this. She will only eat pork that is pounded and fried or sauteed. She has it in her head pork is similar to eating human-and forget ribs ect....she loves bacon so we're cool. I could easily eat pork three nights per week.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I swear American lamb priced itself right out of the market.

If the dollar keeeps plummeting like it has been, American lamb, venison etc, will quickly seem like a good value. The price for many meats from Australia, New Zealand and Canada have shot up 20% or more in the past four months due to the ass exchange rate and gas prices.

Warp Daddy

Morrocan chicken couscous with a cinnamon/ raisen/almond sauce combo and a carafe of chablis and a fresh bagguette----------------------AWESOME

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I have a bottom round roast in the crock pot with potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, seasoned salt and a bottle of Saranac black & tan. :D Looking forward to the results.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I have a bottom round roast in the crock pot with potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, seasoned salt and a bottle of Saranac black & tan. :D Looking forward to the results.
In case anyone was wondering, it's delicious! :D 5 hrs on high/1 hr on low in the crock pot and it's perfect. I did cheat and use Tastefully Simple Onion Onion and Garlic Garlic instead of fresh (plus their Seasoned Salt), but no matter - the beer gave it an awesome different flavor. This is a keeper recipe. 8)